What happens if you don't change yer oil?!?!

I'm doing 25,000 mile oil changes in my Durango with the same engine. That's two oil changes in 80,000km. Anyone want me to pull a valve cover?
While my engine may have had a non-oil related failure... there's a new engine lined up.. and I'd happily document the usage etc once that is sorted.

HPL of course.

Your Durango is phenomenal.

This was from a 20 or 21(I wasn't the one working on it) DT Ram, 3.6. Came in for noise in engine. Yep bad lifter/cam noise in right bank. Look at oil.....oops, none on stick. No sticker on windshield, change oil warning on dash. Ask cust, when last change was, come to find out, it only had 2 oil changes in 50k, Klms. Oh Oh. Borescope down oil fill shows excess sludge. So we get permission to pull valve cover, with pretty much a guarantee its not going to be warranty. Found this mess. Every center intake lobe is wiped. Sorry sir thats a no go on warranty today. Probably going to be a 20k bill. We wont fix this engine, with this much sludge. Funny thing is, he bought a large extended warranty, that comes with free oil changes!

View attachment 166636View attachment 166637

Oil is cheap, and really easy to change, so do it often.
Much better to change it often, and not ruin an expensive engine, and have the vehicle down for 2 weeks.

My ex wife, girlfriend at the time, had a Kia with 74,000 miles on it and never had the oil changed. She said she just added it. Anyway she sold the car to a neighbor across the street. 2 weeks later the crank broke. The neighbor came over to complain and said something about the oil. That's when I learned about her oil change policy.

An employees daughter, bought a brand new Civic about 2016 if I remember correctly.
When it was 3 years old the engine blew up while she was on a road trip.
It still had the original oil filter and oil in it, but apparently not much oil. She wanted to set it on fire, then collect the insurance money. Her mother, my employee, told her that if she did that, she would turn her into the cops for insurance fraud.

An employees daughter, bought a brand new Civic about 2016 if I remember correctly.
When it was 3 years old the engine blew up while she was on a road trip.
It still had the original oil filter and oil in it, but apparently not much oil. She wanted to set it on fire, then collect the insurance money. Her mother, my employee, told her that if she did that, she would turn her into the cops for insurance fraud.
Like they wouldn't be able to tell the source of the Ignition for the fire. I don't understand people.

People should really get passionate about and hate insurance fraud because the low life scumbags that do that make the insurance rates go up for everyone. Everyone They're basically scammers. I saw on a video someone went to new lengths to try to do an insurance fraud... They were in California they just straight up stole a car and acted like they were going joyriding in it and they were well the only thing is they only hit one specific car at least twice. So the idea was they could go to the insurance company and say oh look my car got totaled some random unknown🙄 person just hit it there's too much damage it was a late model Camaro. The video suggested that it looked like insurance fraud and from what I saw I agree with them because of all the other cars on the street that 1 was targeted so... Yeah total scumbags.

My ex wife, girlfriend at the time, had a Kia with 74,000 miles on it and never had the oil changed. She said she just added it. Anyway she sold the car to a neighbor across the street. 2 weeks later the crank broke. The neighbor came over to complain and said something about the oil. That's when I learned about her oil change policy.
got me kind of worried about what other fluids she hadn't been changing.

Unfortunately, I found the junkyard sourced engine in my pickup was pretty bad for sludge. I cleaned what I could out of the head and did a lot of flushing with kerosene. Before starting it up. I don't want to circulate junk and plug the oil screen.

Someone had done a few real extended drains with that ... guessing repeated 20k or more on early 00s conventional oil.

I think this is the ultimate result of "what happens" -

My father had a customer that never changed the oil in a 1972-ish GMC 1/2T (350ci).

Both times (yes, it happened twice) it threw either #1 or #2 rod out the side of the pan. I removed the pans on both wrecked engines and you could stand a 7/16" (main cap) bolt, head-up in the "grease" that was still in the bottom of the rear sump. No, the bolt was not touching bottom.

if you were even going to try something of that much madness you would have a lot of stuff that would need to be done before that would even be feasible. higher oil capacity, severe schedule maintenance on all other fluids and probably a frantz filtration or something similar and a destination path that is over 90% highway driving. I can't understand for the life of me why people don't think they need to change their oil. in most cases on average cars the customer gets a few freebies at the very least. I don't know if people are just oblivious or they don't care. during a relationship I was in a lady had triplet boys but she always loaned her band to her sister so she could go run errands. it was one of the Kia vans. well I suspect that fuel dilution got the best of that car and as the oil was being consumed it was being replaced with gasoline. not too long after smoke was blowing out of the exhaust. I filled it up with odds and ends of oil I had laying around patched it up and she traded it off.

Back in the 90's my uncle bought a new 96 F250, had it about 2 years or a little more and put about 55k-60k miles on it. One day the engine blew, he took it to the dealership demanding a new engine. They investigated and discovered the oil was never changed once, denied. When my father and I were discussing this, he informed me this was not the first engine my uncle lost due to not changing the oil. Some people just don't learn.

There are people who are so sure "every mechanic is crooked" they just won't go to one. So sure of what "they think".
Actually sad.

Then there are people who are numb inside and out.
That's be the guy (owner in post #1) who bought free oil changes without knowing what he did,

There's a YT channel called "Just Rolled In". Several times a year they have an example of gross negligence; no oil changes, etc.

While not "common", it's not unheard of by any means for folks to never change oil, and never even check it until the engine seizes.
There's also a Reddit subforum of basically the same name.

Pretty entertaining! Gonna check out the YouTube channel later!

This was from a 20 or 21(I wasn't the one working on it) DT Ram, 3.6. Came in for noise in engine. Yep bad lifter/cam noise in right bank. Look at oil.....oops, none on stick. No sticker on windshield, change oil warning on dash. Ask cust, when last change was, come to find out, it only had 2 oil changes in 50k, Klms. Oh Oh. Borescope down oil fill shows excess sludge. So we get permission to pull valve cover, with pretty much a guarantee its not going to be warranty. Found this mess. Every center intake lobe is wiped. Sorry sir thats a no go on warranty today. Probably going to be a 20k bill. We wont fix this engine, with this much sludge. Funny thing is, he bought a large extended warranty, that comes with free oil changes!

View attachment 166636View attachment 166637
Honestly that's a little surprising - 50,000 KM is 30,000 freedom miles? If it truly had two oil changes, presumably at 15K intervals (or so) using the specified 0W20 synthetic (which the 3.6 calls for on Ram DT's), I would not have expected it to get this bad.

Honestly that's a little surprising - 50,000 KM is 30,000 freedom miles? If it truly had two oil changes, presumably at 15K intervals (or so) using the specified 0W20 synthetic (which the 3.6 calls for on Ram DT's), I would not have expected it to get this bad.
True - if kept full - but this poor motor was not …

I wonder if the driver is in sale? When I ran a fleet of F150’s, I had 3 salesmen tell me they were too busy making the company money to get oil changed. 2 of them were fired. One went 31k on the factory oil and another 27k. The other was fired later, but his truck was turned in locally and I never saw it.

Arrogance and ego can cause people to waste machinery in this way.

We can fix a lot of things, but we can't fix stupid.
On my retired from job we had a road technician who got a new '90's E150 van. 300 6 cylinder. At 35k miles he took it in for a oil light on, turns out pickup screen was plugged with sludge, he never changed the oil in it, just topped it off in all that time which was about 3 yrs. since it was all urban driving. Drivers were responsible for taking care of routine maintenance and routing would schedule time for such things. Shop covered for him since he was a senior guy.

Back