What happened to quality control in aviation???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that you bring up "Sky-Tec" starter failures. I've been using them for years, with my share of issues. My Cardinal has one and it's struggling to start the engine now. Weird. I think the weight savings result in reliability issues.

Mine is OK once the engine gets rotating, but it has a hard time getting the engine to rotate. I've changed batteries, solenoids and cable ends. It's the starter.

Yep. . .went through a few Sky-Tecs on the P68. . . you really have to be careful about using them too long between cool-downs, as I'm sure you're aware CuJet. But even if you treat 'em right, they'll eventually leave you stranded. Somebody should design a reliable starter for GA--they'd make a killing!

This thread has me disgusted. How is the quality allowed to deteriorate this much, with all the FAA regulations telling you when to think and when to think it, amazes me.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
This thread has me disgusted. How is the quality allowed to deteriorate this much, with all the FAA regulations telling you when to think and when to think it, amazes me.

Exactly the problem, instead of learning to be a mechanic, the theme has been "if we can teach the monkey to read we can stop training mechanics". The dependence on "other" inspections and rules, the FAA etc instead of having the first person responsibility has brought us "who me".
A well educated mechanic with integrity is a RARE person today and they will only be harder to find in the future.
MHO
Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back