What gasoline do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speedway or Kroger usually. Bought Shell last night (on the road) and just got back from buying BP five minutes ago.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Thanks for all your replies..

Do you think ethanol gas damages a motorcycle?

Most or all of the repliers seem to be referring to cars but I posted it in the cycles section..
thumbsup2.gif

The subject of ethanol in fuel is a long one.
Depending on where in the world you live the mix can be between 0 & 15%
Ethanol increases the octane rating which can be good
There are a lot of negatives too:
-its production negates any environment benefit the politicians want us to believe
-it can react with some engine components and rubber tubes
-it absorbs and retains moisture
-some motorbike manufacturer do not recommend it

My honda CBR-RR8 manual says not to use fuel with more than 10% ethanol
Nobody can say what the loong term effect would be; perhaps in 6~10 years time we will have a better picture.
What is commonly acknowledged is that the fuel goes off relatively quickly so do not leave it in the tank for long periods such as a month or more

Citgo 87 E10 here. (4% rewards CC) Would get pure gas if I could. 82 Virago 750 with EPA sealed lean carbs that are only running leaner.

When I got the bike running, my month old "lawnmower gas" didn't cut it, I needed fresh "bought today."

It sure would be nice if non ethanol gas was available everywhere, like it is here. There are about 4 places in this area that still sell it, and they hopefully will always sell it.

I'm going back to non ethanol in the bike for a few tanks and see how it runs. I almost always run non ethanol in the car.

Same here... we don't have an option of running non-ethanol gas here. So I run it in our cars and bike. The bike's manual allows up to 15% ethanol, IIRC.

BP's Ultimate 92 octane here. Owner of the station says no ethanol.

Used in a 06 250 Ninja. 12.4:1 CR. Never had a problem. Even sitting in the off season. I do put 4 onces of seafoam or Neutra 131 in in the tank in November before I put to sleep. Has fired right up in the spring everytime. All this carb cleaning stuff I see all the time on other bikes .....

Jeff

There is one station here that has non ethanol fuel in 87 octane and that's what I mostly use in all my vehicles, especially my carbed Harley. If I have to use ethanol fuel, I try to use Chevron and I always add a half dose of MMO to the fuel, especially in my Harley. I keep track of all my fuel mileage in each vehicle and it's always at least 1 MPG better with non ethanol fuel. If your bike (or any vehicle) requires higher octane fuel than is available without ethanol, then I'd add a little MMO to help negate the detrimental effect of the ethanol, especially on carbed engines.

I'm able to buy non-ethanol gasoline and use it in my motorcycle as well as my atvs and lawn tractor. My lawn tractor uses less of the non-ethanol as well as my motorcycle gets better mileage with it.
I usually fill two 5 gallon containers of the non-ethanol fuel and keep it for the atvs and lawn tractor. I have to drive some 6 to 7 miles to get it however.

Only Mobil Synergy 8000 98 octane. My bikes runs smoother and has better throttle response with this fuel.

Not sure if you guys in the US have the same formula. Octane rating measurment used in Australia is different as well I think.

Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline does per gallon, so we should see better average fuel economy with gasoline than with gasoline that has been diluted with ethanol - for motorcycles, cars, lawn tractors, etc.

For whatever it is worth, diesel has more energy per gallon than gasoline does per gallon, which is one of the factors that allow a vehicle with a diesel engine to average higher fuel economy than a comparable vehicle with a gasoline engine. And biodiesel has less energy per gallon than diesel does per gallon, so diluting diesel with biodiesel should lower the average fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Gas is Gas. If your running out, I'm betting you'll fill up with Joe blows super duper gas, either regular or Ethel. It beats the pants off pushing pushing no matter how you slice it.,,

As i C L E A R L Y stated.. there have been a few exceptions. maybee you should have read my post a little slower

I'm back to using non ethanol, and I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but it seems to run better. I might stick with non eth this time.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Gas is Gas. If your running out, I'm betting you'll fill up with Joe blows super duper gas, either regular or Ethel. It beats the pants off pushing pushing no matter how you slice it.,,

As i C L E A R L Y stated.. there have been a few exceptions. maybee you should have read my post a little slower
As I clearly said, "If your running out I'm betting you'll fill up with Joe blows super duper". What are you saying, you'd push your bike past a gas station for some gas that someone SAID is better to use?..

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

As I clearly said, "If your running out I'm betting you'll fill up with Joe blows super duper". What are you saying, you'd push your bike past a gas station for some gas that someone SAID is better to use?..

sitting here shaking my head... what part of "there have been a few exeptions" dont you get ? actually, dont awnser that.. im getting a headache already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back