What features have gone away (that you would like to keep)

Your cars are all new…

Got any with wing windows?

Crank windows?
Only my first volvo had roll up windows, and my LeMans Sport did too. My dads Sport Wagon had the vent windows and roll up windows although the tailgate was power

What I miss about older cars (80's and before) is the feeling of spaciousness around the cockpit. Around your knees.

Nowadays, cars have wrap around consoles and smooth curvy dashes that while they look attractive, they really encroach into the cockpit space.

I had an ancient econobox. Very minimalistic. It's cockpit area felt much bigger than that of my current minivan.

View attachment 160693

I remember being able to easily slip from the driver's seat to the passenger's seat. In the minivan, I have to clamber.

View attachment 160694
Older vehicles didn't have passenger nor driver's side airbags. Vehicles now require side airbags which do take up space.

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned the old left foot headlight dimmer switch. Has it been that long? I'd like to have it back.

Left foot wasn't doing anything, anyway, since nearly all transmissions are automatic now. Unless you're one of those who drive with your left foot resting on the brake pedal, or need to make an emergency stop.

I want a car that I can drive to the drive in movies, listen to the radio, and when the show's over I want it to start and run on parking lights only, under cover of darkness.

So no stupid timers to turn the radio off.
No pushing the brake pedal (and turning brake lights on) as part of starting procedure.
Ability to override the auto headlights.
Ability to run the radio without having a glary screen ever-present.
Ability to open the doors without lights coming on, if need be.
I miss able to idle an engine with all lights off. My van, that I use for camping, will light up at all the marker lights and the daytime running lights (Canadian here). I may not want to announce to the world that I'm somewhere when I just want to run the engine so that the alternator can charge my coach batteries.

I may not want to announce to the world that I'm somewhere when I just want to run the engine so that the alternator can charge my coach batteries.
Where I live we have to park outside which means warming the car up during the winter. It would be great to be able to do this without announcing to the world that there is a running vehicle, possibly with nobody inside (in the house bundling up).

I miss the vent window and the gutter on each side of the doors so water would not spill in going around a corner...

Port injection and a manual gearbox. Keep the computer screens for the kids and give me functional and clear analog gauges. Front engine, rear drive. Above all else,,, keep it repairable by the owner. The need to remove the engine to replace a water pump is nothing but sadistic.

A good friend of mine wrote a song about this and here's just a small snippet from the lyrics. Maybe you know where I'm going with this:

"I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last ten years
Like they should
Is the best of the free life behind us now?
And are the good times really over for good?"
You were personal friends with Merle Haggard! Cool!

I like my Cobalt which lets me use the foglights when the regular headlights aren't on; my two newer cars don't and that bugs me.

It would be great if we could still choose our options instead of having to accept "packages" that include items we don't want, or buy upgraded models in order to get what we desire.

Jow about thinner posts around the windshield. Almost hit a pedestrian that was hidden by the thick posts around the window.
The stronger A pillar makes hitting that pedestrian safer for the driver. :p
With thicker pillars the driver has to compensate for decreased visibility by moving his head a little more.

Back