what do you think of off-brand sub-$100 tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they have Google play? That is probably the biggest issue of cheap tabs. If they have it you might have lucked out.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Do they have Google play? That is probably the biggest issue of cheap tabs. If they have it you might have lucked out.

it's got all the same tabs and apps and stuff as any other tablet running android 4.0. my 10yo daughter has already downloaded all sorts of apps and games.

you did good a young kid breaks stuff too easily. so a cheap tablet is the way to go with them.

I have a Coby Kyros that has been great other than they used something called AppsLib instead of PlayStore and now we can't download any apps. I emailed Coby and got no response. Youtube is awesome on it as is browsing and ebooks. I need it rooted so I can have playstore though.

Bought a 89 dollar tablet from radio shack last year for my mom.

The app store it comes with is junk, there are literally like 50 apps that you can choose from and thats it.

I had to flash the unit with a SD card to even get the junk app store to work.

Avoid.

it seems like all Chinese tablets are not created equal. my kids have been playing with them constantly, and I've downloaded some apps from google play, no issues. they don't freeze up or fail to run or anything.
I tried playing with mapdroyd, not too impressed with that, can't really figure out how it works. but otherwise all is good.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
you did good a young kid breaks stuff too easily. so a cheap tablet is the way to go with them.

thanks, they are really happy with them.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
it seems like all Chinese tablets are not created equal. my kids have been playing with them constantly, and I've downloaded some apps from google play, no issues. they don't freeze up or fail to run or anything.
I tried playing with mapdroyd, not too impressed with that, can't really figure out how it works. but otherwise all is good.

Seems like the new tablet is working out for you. Would you mind providing a link to the tablet you got so I could check it out??? Tom

Great info.....I'm still stuck between a rock and a hard place lol....deciding whether to go and buy a semi-decent tablet (Acer iconia, or that new Google Nexus....) or upgrade my "smart phone"....hehe. With a "smart tablet" I really don't need a "smart phone" :p Esp. if it fits in my pocket.....I'm not much of a reader though....It'd be more for the apps, internet, forum use for the most part......any idea if any of the tabs have "GPS" capabilities? That would even be a seller.....lol.....7-10" map display on my dash LOL....just to find a mount that'll hold it haha

Originally Posted By: mpvue
it seems like all Chinese tablets are not created equal.

That statement summarizes the problem very well! For not much money, sometimes you can end up with a very useful little device; while other times you spend money on a device that is fraught with problems and bugs. The trick, of course, is telling one from the other; and this is a difficult task considering that the non-existent quality control means that there will be a disparate level of quality even within production runs of these things.

UPDATE:
(and apologies for not following up questions)

the tablets I got are MID brand, no serial #'s. my 4yo dropped his, screen shattered.
my 10yo did 'something' to hers, the screen got a single hairline crack, I suspect it was from pressing the screen too hard.
the 12yo still has his, working fine, great for his task app and games like angry birds.

so my final opinion on cheap tablets is, you get what you pay for. functionally, they are fine, these even have a google play icon (where alot of them don't)
I think the cost cutting is in screen durability and battery life.
they CANNOT compete w/ nexus or ipad, but they are much cheaper, so buyer beware.

fortunately, I did buy warranties from squaretrade, and they just paid me the purchase price. they are awesome.

I have an Acer A100 7" tablet. For how it performs, it is a cheap off-brand tablet. My dad originally bought it, to see how the 7" tablet format did for their use. He liked the size and upgraded to a Samsung 7" tablet. This was about a year or so ago. So he gave the Acer to me. I think it cost $200 back then, but that was about as cheap as you could buy an Android tablet, and it was marketed as a "value" tablet, as many off-brands are today.

A100s are notorious for a few things. The screen looks okay when held in any of three directions (up, down, and right). Move left, just passed perpendicular to the screen, and the screen washes out BAD. It's pretty unreadable. Battery life is also atrocious. It's only rated for something like 4-6 hours anyway, but ours will discharge overnight, even when off, due to some internal short or something. So it's not all that usable.

It does function great, however, for one thing. I made a mount for it that fits our CR-V, and it's actually quite a nice GPS navigator. But...that's all it does. It stays in the car and only comes out for that purpose. And I have a charging adapter in the car for it because it'll only go about 30 minutes unplugged.

IMG_6651.JPG

You do get what you pay for.

on gotapex discount web site a link to lenovo web site have a tablet for $129 free shipping 2 cameras shows slightly higher price. I would consider this a name brand doesn't mean its a great one.good luck.

My aunt bought her daughter a Polaroid 10-inch tablet for $128.00

Anyone else bought or had any luck with these "cheaper" tablets? Thinking about purchasing one for myself.
grin2.gif

Polaroid will place their name on anything these days.

Heck, there's even an AOL app on it for those that haven't used a computer since 1996.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Anyone else bought or had any luck with these "cheaper" tablets? Thinking about purchasing one for myself.
grin2.gif

I take it tablets aren't as popular of a topic as 0w20 vs 5w20 threads with 10-plus pages?

grin2.gif

I take it tablets aren't as popular of a topic as 0w20 vs 5w20 threads with 10-plus pages?

These cheap tabs are almost always [censored]. You get what you pay for. For good cheap one get a kindle fire non hd one.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U

grin2.gif

These cheap tabs are almost always [censored]. You get what you pay for. For good cheap one get a kindle fire non hd one.

Thanks,I found some good deals on Kindle
thumbsup2.gif

If you're really brave, the trading sites like Ali Express and the like have a far greater variety, and somewhat lower prices, than Ebay offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back