What do you guys do when it rains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people do.

I used to live next door to a guy who washed his car almost every day. If it rained, he'd wash it again.

For the record, I don't. My "good" car stays in the garage about 360 days a year while the other two sit outside and get washed on nice days when I have some free time.

Originally Posted By: alwayson

Rewash the car?

confused.gif

Rewash?
laugh.gif
rainfall counts as washing for me!
Actually next time it rains, if I've got the time, I'll take the car out onto the highway to wash the salt out underneath.

I wash mine sooo much if it rains or doesnt the next day im most likely gonna wash it again no matter what.
If you are getting to a specific point ie. just drying it off after a rainfall just after you wash it dont you will get swirls from the dust and grit that was in the air.

I usually just foam a good amount of soap on and pressure wash off then dry with my usual micro fibre towel, skipping the hand agitation on a wash just to get dust and pollen off. It makes me mad cause I have to get the door jambs and under trunk and hood again but whatever. It relaxes me and I love the look of a new black car that has been detailed for a few hours.

Depends on how much $$$ i have at the time.

I generally get my car washed once a month, if i can find the time.

Have had stretched its gone 3+ months without washed.

In college id plink down $17+ for the "Works" undercarriage wash all that when the car gets drawn through the motorized line and has "spray wax" from Blue Coral put on...

It is also believed that rain makes the car dirtier.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Some people do.

I used to live next door to a guy who washed his car almost every day. If it rained, he'd wash it again.

For the record, I don't. My "good" car stays in the garage about 360 days a year while the other two sit outside and get washed on nice days when I have some free time.

You dont live beside me do you??
People actually ask me why I wash my car almost daily. I ask them how much they wash there rusted out [censored] box. usually i get a once a year from the response. I also do my maintenance wax every second time as well. Im just waiting for better weather to do a paint correction.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Rewash the car?

confused.gif

Rewash?
laugh.gif
Actually next time it rains, if I've got the time, I'll take the car out onto the highway to wash the salt out underneath.

You guys are killing me. I wash the underside every time i wash the car. I drive it up on ramps and I made a special pressure washer tool that i can spray water under the car after i foam a butt load of soap on it. I sometimes (like every third time) spray a fairly good wax under the car as well.

Well, my Corvette is kept in a garage and NEVER driven in the rain (they melt being fiberglass you know).

You can use a California Duster on a car to remove rain spots (Know this on my other cars).

This is my work truck so I have a pretty clean house and vehicles. It is set up to run 3000psi at 8gpm with temp being adjustable from tank temp to boiling. I actually used the boiling water to get a rim off of the camaro. It heated that [censored] off in five seconds opposed to my trying to pry it off for and hour with a 5' metal pipe. I have a 600 gal tank and every chem I need to restore aluminum and get anything clean i want without scrubbing.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee420/abycat/0826101859-02.jpg

and here a job i did last summer. No brushing at all.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee420/abycat/1022111225-00.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee420/abycat/1022111316-00.jpg

Originally Posted By: abycat

Rewash the car?

confused.gif

Rewash?
laugh.gif

You guys are killing me. I wash the underside every time i wash the car. I drive it up on ramps and I made a special pressure washer tool that i can spray water under the car after i foam a butt load of soap on it. I sometimes (like every third time) spray a fairly good wax under the car as well.

Actually, when I pay to pressure wash the car I spend most of the time blasting underneath as well. As for washing the top every second day, there's no point with my current cars, there's some saying about polishing a turd?
wink.gif
, and its pretty rare to see a car rust out from the top in my area, its always underneath...

Originally Posted By: abycat

Rewash the car?

confused.gif

Rewash?
laugh.gif

Actually, when I pay to pressure wash the car I spend most of the time blasting underneath as well. As for washing the top every second day, there's no point with my current cars, there's some saying about polishing a turd?
wink.gif
, and its pretty rare to see a car rust out from the top in my area, its always underneath...

I agree that salt crud really kills cars. The only thing i do see on the tops of cars is the sun faded or peeling paint.

I like the people that think that leaving dirt on your car through winter protects the car from the salt.
06.gif

I washed a week ago, poured buckets driving home from getting groceries last night, enough to have to pull over & wait 15 minutes.

I considered squeegee & wipe down but figured there was still dust magnetically clinging to the clear coat althought the car looked spanking clean and had been in the garage most the week.

Stay in and cook.

If you can't get to ireland to vacation then making a fish chowder OR an Irish stew with some Guiness is good, imo. Not the same but good for an evening.

But more often i'll just go with turkey chili and cheap beer as it's faster, easier and (duh) cheaper.

Man, I wish I had the time to wash so frequently. I think I'd find something else to do, even if I did.

I wash every so often, and wax 2-3X / year

Last edited:
Wait until the forecast doesn't call for rain for a week. Re-wash after a rain? You gotta be kidding. Especially the Jeeps... they like being dirty.

Rewash the car?

confused.gif

Rewash?
laugh.gif

Indylan, you and gathermewool must have one of those things that precludes obsessive car-washing...

What was that called again?

Hmm...

A job? Family?

Something like that...

I forget....

Last edited:
Priorities, they simply changed for me and pampering the car is no longer an option. It is probably still washed more often than the average appliance on the road.
Also, washing the car does not prevent rust on a daily driven car in the areas where roads are salted heavily, unless extreme care is taken like washing the car and underside daily or weekly. BTW, my Mazda is one of the few 06 models on the road with no rust
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back