What do you collect?

Back in 2021 I started collecting Hot Wheels again, I got interested in it when my son (who is now 22) started collecting them and I initially was just casually searching for them whenever I was in Walmart and trying to find the ones I know he would want. But soon after doing that I started grabbing cars that I would like and now I have about 500 cars or so. I'm still looking for cars that I know my son would want, that's actually my biggest thrill. I spent the last few months searching for a premium two car set which included two Subaru WRXs, because one of those cars was identical to his actual car (a silver 02 WRX that he bought as his very first car at age 16 and will never sell)
It's a pretty good thing to collect because if you limit yourself to just buying the stuff in the retail stores (as opposed to the inflated prices of the resellers online) it only costs about $20-30 a month.

My wife - Precious Moments figurines and Shot glasses from everywhere we go (funny thing is, we don't drink! LOL )

Myself - Fantasy / Sci-Fi Board Games (HeroQuest, Warhammer Quest, Space Hulk, etc.)

I started collecting silver bars and silver coins about ten years ago. Got a safe in the house filled with one dollar/ fifty cents coins / Washington "silver" quarters / silver dimes" etc.... Some Morgan silver dollars, some Peace Dollars, (some of the most beautiful I own are the Canadian Maple Leaf ) Those silver dollars with the Queen on one side are amazing and uncirculated. Most of my coins are over 100 years old. I even have some silver dollars from the old and closed down famous New Orleans Federal Mint pressed in the late 1880s. I have in my collection several 5 and 10 ounce silver bars. My two sons (born 4 years apart) birthdays are on Memorial Day only 2 days apart so when they come around I always manage to have a gift ready for them and it is usually SILVER! It is either in the form of coins or silver bars. I like to talk about and show them to my 11 year old grandaughter and my 9 year old grandson. Then we get to dreaming and thinking about stuff like "who could have had these coins in their pockets ? who could have used / spent them? Jean Laffitte the Pirate hero of the Battle of New Orleans? Maybe the POTUS Andrew Jackson or ????

Back in 2021 I started collecting Hot Wheels again, I got interested in it when my son (who is now 22) started collecting them and I initially was just casually searching for them whenever I was in Walmart and trying to find the ones I know he would want. But soon after doing that I started grabbing cars that I would like and now I have about 500 cars or so. I'm still looking for cars that I know my son would want, that's actually my biggest thrill. I spent the last few months searching for a premium two car set which included two Subaru WRXs, because one of those cars was identical to his actual car (a silver 02 WRX that he bought as his very first car at age 16 and will never sell)
It's a pretty good thing to collect because if you limit yourself to just buying the stuff in the retail stores (as opposed to the inflated prices of the resellers online) it only costs about $20-30 a month.
Oh no. Collecting is a terrible disease. I used to collect scale models. I started at like 6 or 7 years old. I gave up maybe 15 years ago, although I sometimes buy a model that catches my eye and people give me some because they know my collection. Or rather they know some of my collection. I have maybe 300 models on display at the house and another 150 at the beach shack. Then there are boxes and boxes with I don't know how many models. Luckily most of them are of a small scale, 1/87, Matchbox size (1/76-1/62), some ca 1/50, a lot of 1/43, and some 1/24. and a few 1/18. It doesn't help that many of my models were kit-bashed, scratch-built, or modified so I would not want to give them away. My son got into the hobby when he was 9 years old but lost interest in his early teens. One of my nephews is into modifying and scratch-building scale models and because he will soon be staying with us for a while I will show him my model-building and modding techniques. My new wife doesn't know about the dozen or so large boxes in the attic. If she finds them and looks inside she will surely have me committed! I wrote 'Incontinence Supplies' on those boxes but my wife is a smart cookie.

Last edited:
One thing I would like to collect is watches but my rational mind says "Don't do it." It would be an endless hunt for yet another grail, a never-ending thrilling hunt for the unobtainable because no watch is perfect. That's why I will make do with what I consider an array of daily-wear options.

My three year old grandson is a fiend for Hot Wheels and Monster Trucks. OMG. Dont talk about Mario Brothers and the Super Mario Brothers race track his dad has set up for him in his room at their house, He will play that thing until he falls on the floor exhausted and can not keep his eyes open any longer. LoL. When I was a kid it was the old Matchbox cars you could buy all over the place for a quarter.

My three year old grandson is a fiend for Hot Wheels and Monster Trucks. OMG. Dont talk about Mario Brothers and the Super Mario Brothers race track his dad has set up for him in his room at their house, He will play that thing until he falls on the floor exhausted and can not keep his eyes open any longer. LoL. When I was a kid it was the old Matchbox cars you could buy all over the place for a quarter.
Wow, you must be pretty old. They were 49c each in the 60's when I was a kid. I think.

Never thought of these as a collection, but I suppose they are. I try to locate period correct keychains with some relationship to the brand for my fun cars. Garage sales, car shows, autojumbles via friends in the UK and eBay as an absolute last resort. Some of these are NOS items from the 80's and 90's and my favorites are the Marlboro F1 or Indy chain (I tell myself it is the TAG/Porsche powered MP4/1) and especially the very '70s leather 'Triumph TR' fob....doesn't get more 70's than that!

Keys424.jpg

I used to collect keychains like those when I was a kid! I would buy one per week with my allowance and had probably 100 of them at one point. Wish I still had them as they were all from the mid to late 70s!

Back