The bellweather stock I will watch to see how the US and global economy is doing

Wandered into a Starbucks today that was in a Target. $3.05 was the small coffee, so a good jump from the last time I bought some ($1.95). NH has something like a 9% sales tax on top of that.

Maybe they charge more due to being inside of Target, don't know.

Wandered into a Starbucks today that was in a Target. $3.05 was the small coffee, so a good jump from the last time I bought some ($1.95). NH has something like a 9% sales tax on top of that.

Maybe they charge more due to being inside of Target, don't know.
Dunno either.

Grande Americano is $4.05 here.

Yep that's the sandwich! we used to stop for that on the way home from my inlaws.

My parents got tired of the suburbs and moved us to Downeast Maine. Population 1,300. Surrounded by similar towns. I did college in the big city of Orono (well I lived in Old Town), my wife (from Danbury CT) laughs when I call the mall in Bangor "big". After marriage I settled into a town of 1,800 people but now live in a town that swells to 6k in the summer (more like 2k in the winter). If I have to deal with more than one traffic light per mile... that's pretty awful.
My wife and I did a group bike tour of coastal Maine in 2008. Absolutely loved the entire area.

My wife and I did a group bike tour of coastal Maine in 2008. Absolutely loved the entire area.
Loved the area, would love to bike it again some day (less hills than NH! that's for sure). Economically depressed when I lived there, not sure if much better, but it depends on what you do--I went into technology and that was kind of a no-go.

Beautiful area. Was hard to move away from.

I would not be to surprised if Starbucks could very well also work as a recession play.

Lipstick effect... once life gets tougher, people cut back on big purchases, but indulge in "affordable luxury".

Loved the area, would love to bike it again some day (less hills than NH! that's for sure). Economically depressed when I lived there, not sure if much better, but it depends on what you do--I went into technology and that was kind of a no-go.

Beautiful area. Was hard to move away from.
Day 1 - Boothbay - Damariscotta -Pemaquid (45 miles)

Day 2 - Pemaquid - Waldoboro - Clark Island (50 miles)

Day 3 - Clark I. - South Thomaston - Camden (55 miles)

Day 4 - Camden - Belfast - Castine (55 miles)

Day 5 - Castine - Brooklin - Blue Hill (75 miles)

Day 6 - Bass Harbor - Southwest Harbor - Bar Harbor (63 miles)

It was an incredible few days. BITOG content: Subaru wagons and Priuses seemed to dominate

Day 1 - Boothbay - Damariscotta -Pemaquid (45 miles)

Day 2 - Pemaquid - Waldoboro - Clark Island (50 miles)

Day 3 - Clark I. - South Thomaston - Camden (55 miles)

Day 4 - Camden - Belfast - Castine (55 miles)

Day 5 - Castine - Brooklin - Blue Hill (75 miles)

Day 6 - Bass Harbor - Southwest Harbor - Bar Harbor (63 miles)

It was an incredible few days. BITOG content: Subaru wagons and Priuses seemed to dominate
Nice. I was up on the other half of the coastline, and would travel down to see Bar Harbor.

Coffee must cost a lot less here in Canada.
Less than half that price in Canadian dollars for a coffee.

Also buy a small compressor, or hand pump.

It boggles my mind to see how many people fight and burn an enormous amount of their life waiting in a line at Starbucks.

I am not a coffee drinker, so I am not a patron of any coffee shop. Or coffee. Anyhwere. I have finally got the point across to my daughter that SB is a very nasty, toxic, almost enemy of the US. She no longer spends any money there. My wife isn't a coffee drinker and will oblige my point of view for other products they have that she has bought in the past. She's not a Starbucks customer either.

I do wonder WTH they put in their products to make people act the way they do for the stuff.

As far as how the economy is doing, look at your email. I saw MULTIPLE EMAILS PER DAY the last 4-5 days for the same retailer telling me that they had 25-30-40% off on everything. The biggest is Duluth Trading, 40% off everything. They have had 40% off sales before, but not since 2017 or so (hint, hint).

I haven't seen the retailers having sales like this in a long, long time.
Duluth Trading clothing is the most poorly designed crap I've ever had given to me. No patch pockets on a faux Carhart style "work" jacket I think SB volume would make a great indicator of local economy. I often meet my daughter at one 1/2 between us. Its usually 9am and the place is packed

Back