What bonnet to use for removing wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microfiber, and you shouldn't use one for the whole car...it will get loaded up and may mar the finish at worst, or slow down the removal of the wax. Which wax are you using, some of the boutique ones buff off very lightly.

Turtle Wax Platium Paste Wax is what I have always used I love it. I will apply the wax by hand but I just want to make sure what is a good all around bonnet to use on my 10" buffer. Some people say terry others say micro. Many say not to use the wool ones. They say it will scratch faster.

Many people do the opposite...apply with the buffer the buff by hand...you might wanna try that out. The machine allows you to place a fine layer...less residue to buff.

Just remember that prep is everything prior to your wax.

Wool is used for cutting, the absolute worst choice for removing wax. Either terrycloth or microfiber can be used, MF being preferred.

As unconn1150 said it is actually easier and more effective to apply with the machine and remove by hand with a quality microfiber towel.

I'm not 100% sold on microfiber...I prefer good ol' terry cloth for general use, and wool for polishing or compounding.
The few times I've tried a MF towel or bonnet, I didn't really like them. They don't seem to have the absorbing properties that terry or wool does. They seemed to take longer to do the same job, and I still had to go over it by hand afterwards.

I was using Auto Magic BC-1 and BC-2 with them, and went back to terry halfway thru.

Same with foam pads for the high speed buffer...They are designed to be idiot-resistant, but take twice as long to accomplish the same thing. A fine wool finishing pad is what I prefer.

I tend to be somewhat old-school about my detailing, but I've not seen many people using newer technology that can produce better (or even comparable) results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back