What base model 4x4 truck would you buy?

Regular Cab full size Chevy or Ford with a 6.5 or preferably an 8 foot bed. Either one with a base engine will tow 5k like it's not there and 6-7 k but you'll know it's there. 8 foot beds are just plain handy if it's not a DD.

Trim on F150 is XL.
Trim on Chevy is Custom (I think)

Ford 4x4 XL regular Cab 8 ft bed on build site is 41790. Add a more powerful motor and an extended 36 gallon tank and it'll still be under 45k

Ford 4x4 XL super cab with 6.5 foot bed (my choice) on build site is 44885. Super Cab gives you real usable room behind the front seats to store stuff you want out of the weather, and you could haul extra fishing buddies or mutts or whatever.

Ford XL 4x4 Super Cab 8 foot bed (real farm truck) comes standard with 5.0 (pulls more, and much easier) on build site is 47915 That's a heck of a lot of truck. Add 3.73 gears and a 36 gallon tank and it's still only 48930. Hell of a work truck in that configuration. It's got a bed that will hold anything a bed CAN hold and tow 7k like it's not there. 36 gallon tank let's it stay on the farm for an extra 200 miles without a trip to the gas station. You could probably get it for close to 45k. Ford is dealing a little bit off of MSRP but not much

If you wanted something a little nicer, an XLT regular Cab 6.5 foot bed gets you remote start and a few more creature comforts for under 47k, which they would probably let go for 45k

Why does it need to be new? I paid ~25k a few years ago for my 08 5500 with 12ft flatbed. Had only ~80k miles
A few years ago might as well be 1936 in the current used market, especially for trucks. There's not a big price difference between a decent used truck and a new one, and the new one gets you a warranty and seats nobody has farted in.

Because nice things are nice, or so I've heard. ;)
You asked and I gave you an answer.

I personally wouldn’t want a used 15 year heavy duty truck that is only ~8k less than what I’d really want. This is a really terrible example in favor of used actually. It’ll ride like a log wagon and IMO doesn’t really fit the bill for off road needs.

The only thing that 5500 will do is pull OP’s boat with no effort.

A few years ago might as well be 1936 in the current used market, especially for trucks. There's not a big price difference between a decent used truck and a new one, and the new one gets you a warranty and seats nobody has farted in.
Find me a 2023 diesel 5500 for even under 2x what i paid.

In the end, you can't beat the utility and reliability of a full sized pickup truck. I have 3 F150's for just that reason. My oldest one is a 2009, still drives perfectly at 200K miles. I replaced an AC compressor and 2 o-rings on the transmission electrical connector. Oh, and one electrical relay.

Find me a 2023 diesel 5500 for even under 2x what i paid.
I probably couldn’t find a used one for 2X what you paid. Anyway, the question wasn't about used vehicles.

If people didn’t buy new trucks there wouldn’t be any used trucks.

Tacoma or Frontier.

I like Toyota as a brand more than Nissan, but the Frontier seems a little more superior to the Tacoma with its 310 hp engine.

Both don’t exactly have what I call good looks though. This guy is 38.5k. A Pro4x is around 39 starting out though. Built this yesterday on Nissans site. A base 4WD I think is around 33k.
View attachment 185581
Theres absolutely no point in buying a mid size. For the same money you can buy a full size which can tow more , more comfortable, in some cases better gas milage , more room for fam etc. besides Tacomas suck , worst seat ever and worst engines ever.

Theres absolutely no point in buying a mid size. For the same money you can buy a full size which can tow more , more comfortable, in some cases better gas milage , more room for fam etc. besides Tacomas suck , worst seat ever and worst engines ever.
Serious question: What full-size 4x4 can you get with an engine equivalent to the Nissan Frontier 3.8L V6 for around $35k? Even a regular cab F150 with the base engine stickers at over $40k.

And what’s wrong with the Tacoma engine? I admit I haven’t been paying attention but I always thought Toyota built great engines. What happened?

Serious question: What full-size 4x4 can you get with an engine equivalent to the Nissan Frontier 3.8L V6 for around $35k? Even a regular cab F150 with the base engine stickers at over $40k.

And what’s wrong with the Tacoma engine? I admit I haven’t been paying attention but I always thought Toyota built great engines. What happened?
They’re slow and not very comfortable

Lol okay.

Have you priced trucks lately? A base Chevy 1500 is pushing 50k.

Nissan Frontier. The base models still get the 3.8L engine, they’re cheaper than the competition, and they’re likely just as, if not more, reliable.

And this is coming from a Tacoma owner.
I bought a couple brand new Nissan pickups in 1991 and 1997. Neither went back for warranty work. The muffler's sucked and needed replaced was all. They both turned into rust buckets in a few years.

But I live in the rust bucket state of Iowa. Maybe they are better these days on rust.

Back