What are my stop leak options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you haven't replaced a rear main seal on an 88 E-150 with a standard transmission. How about changing an oil pan gasket on a 93 Aerostar? These jobs take hours, and some require a skill set and tools that many people don't have. Those are two examples of thousands of PITA seal gasket changing jobs.

Then we go full circle to the beginning of our discussion. Not everyone has the cash to pay for the work, or plans on keeping their vehicles long enough to warrant the repair costs. So if a HM oil or leak stop can help them why not?

Why not? Because it's the wrong way to do it, that's why!

A 9-3 sump gasket is pretty much the same job as a mk4 golf 20vt sump gasket, drop the subframe just to see the bolts you need to take out. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Never did a RMS on an E150, I didn't know Mercedes even made one. Smallest I can think of is an E280 cdi. I built a Land Rover defender up from a Galv chassis with a friend a few summers ago, andwhen he got bored of it he sold it and roped me into helping him build a Caterham from a box of bits..

If you're prepared to take a little time and think about what you're doing, nothing is that hard. Only takes tools and time.

Originally Posted By: Olas

A 9-3 sump gasket is pretty much the same job as a mk4 golf 20vt sump gasket, drop the subframe just to see the bolts you need to take out. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Never did a RMS on an E150, I didn't know Mercedes even made one. Smallest I can think of is an E280 cdi. I built a Land Rover defender up from a Galv chassis with a friend a few summers ago, andwhen he got bored of it he sold it and roped me into helping him build a Caterham from a box of bits..

If you're prepared to take a little time and think about what you're doing, nothing is that hard. Only takes tools and time.

Did I say it was the right way? I know how to do the work, and if I run into a problem I have friends and family that can help me out.

Try explaining that to someone who doesn't know how or is physically unable, or too old and can't. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the talent to do the work or cash to pay someone, or plans on keeping the car long enough to make it worth while. So they take a shot at a product that has helped others, or let it leak and just add oil. I honestly don't know how else to convey my point to you. Maybe we should let it die?

Last edited:
I kind of see where you're coming from, but at the same time I can't really agree that anything other than a head gasket is even remotely difficult. All you need to know is lefty loosey righty tighty ang get off your arse and do it.

The time and risk of getting dirty are what put people off IMO, and they're probably the same ones who call an electrician to fit a new lightbulb or plug in the new BluRay player.

Lest we forget, laziness and stupidity are the reasons the service industry exists.

Laziness and stupidity.
Really?
Alright smart guy I'd love to see you do a can swap on a ford dohc 4.6,or rebuild a 6 speed automatic transmission.
Better yet how about you write my construction company a program for payroll and taxes,since I know guys who can do that however they can barely pump their own fuel. Would they be stupid or lazy because they aren't mechanically inclined.
Service industries exist because not everyone is a backyard mechanic not that many backyard mechanics can fix most of today's built vehicles.
Perhaps on your side of the pond everyone's got some carb'd 4 cylinder piece of junk that any idiot can fix,lefty loose righty tighty right,however on this side of the pond we buy new stuff which may or may not be user serviceable.
On this side of the pond we already crushed those pieces of junk your putting together from a box of bits,we call it progress.
So go back to the tele,coronation street is on I'm sure,since your holier than thou attitude isn't appreciated here.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Did I say it was the right way? I know how to do the work, and if I run into a problem I have friends and family that can help me out.

Try explaining that to someone who doesn't know how or is physically unable, or too old and can't. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the talent to do the work or cash to pay someone, or plans on keeping the car long enough to make it worth while. So they take a shot at a product that has helped others, or let it leak and just add oil. I honestly don't know how else to convey my point to you. Maybe we should let it die?

Don't waste your time. This guys do thick its going way over his head.

But he's "smart".

Never seen him before, but won't again. Another 2 week wonder troll. Ignored, life's too short guys.

^^ Clevy I wrote all I could to make my point. I'm done, at least for now.

I sat and watched as you tried oh so patiently to explain it to him. Clearly he hasn't had to do work on newer vehicles where changing an intake gasket or even something that should be simple like valve covers can take a day just to get to them. Or, as you explained not everyone has the knowledge or even physical ability to do it.

Then you have a situation like my Sister's car. 2005 w/ 127K that was abused by her daughter and then dumped on her. Has some oil consumption issues. The car is not worth paying a mechanic $100 an hour to replace gaskets and seals when a $5-$10 bottle of miracle in a can might take care of the issue. If not adding some oil now and then is all the car is worth.

Some folks refuse to listen to reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
^^ Clevy I wrote all I could to make my point. I'm done, at least for now.

I sat and watched as you tried oh so patiently to explain it to him. Clearly he hasn't had to do work on newer vehicles where changing an intake gasket or even something that should be simple like valve covers can take a day just to get to them. Or, as you explained not everyone has the knowledge or even physical ability to do it.

Then you have a situation like my Sister's car. 2005 w/ 127K that was abused by her daughter and then dumped on her. Has some oil consumption issues. The car is not worth paying a mechanic $100 an hour to replace gaskets and seals when a $5-$10 bottle of miracle in a can might take care of the issue. If not adding some oil now and then is all the car is worth.

Some folks refuse to listen to reason.

Thanks for putting your own spin on it! I could list even more reasons to give it a try, but quite frankly this topic is played out.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Never seen him before, but won't again. Another 2 week wonder troll. Ignored, life's too short guys.

Sounds like maybe Skunkship is at it again?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Sounds like maybe Skunkship is at it again?

I forgot about him, maybe.........

Thanks a lot guys. You scared Olas off. I was going to ask him to come over and work on my oil leak. Guess I'll have to stick to the lazy way and keep using Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back