What 3pmsf all season tires?

I live in the Denver area and am looking to replace the factory tires on my 2020 forte with something a little better for winter. I don’t want the hassle of dedicated snow tires so I am looking at the Goodyear Assurance Weatheready, Firestone Weather grips or the new General Altimax 360. I also need one that won’t have a huge impact on gas mileage. Any suggestion?

We have been happy with our WeatherReady's (2014 Santa Fe). Would purchase again. Went through two winters so far with no issues.

I know they aren't on your list, but the Michelin CrossClimate 2s are WELL worth the cost. I've put them on 2 of the vehicles in my fleet and I've been seriously impressed. These things are probably the biggest move in tire technology since radial tires came out.

I know they aren't on your list, but the Michelin CrossClimate 2s are WELL worth the cost. I've put them on 2 of the vehicles in my fleet and I've been seriously impressed. These things are probably the biggest move in tire technology since radial tires came out.
I understand that I'll probably have some negative impact on gas mileage but have you noticed any large impact with those tires?

I understand that I'll probably have some negative impact on gas mileage but have you noticed any large impact with those tires?
There hasn't been a large impact that I have noticed. If you are comparing them to low rolling resistance eco tires you will probably notice 10% would be my guess. On my car I have been seeing about half an MPG less.

I'd say any of them will probably be fine. Michelin is my favorite, if they aren't double the price of the next best option. Really depends on your budget and bias toward those companies. I've run all seasons from all Goodyear, Firestone, and Michelin over the years and they've all lasted fine and done what they claim to do...roll.

Nokian WR G4's are also low rolling resistance. Never lost MPG's when I ran them. Usually winter gas has a greater effect, or the roofbox on the car.

I've heard Michelin CrossClimates, while "Total Performance" (which signify they might be LRR), some have lost some mpg's on them.

^^^ those are 3pmsf, right? We have a set on our crv and they are good tires.

yokohama g015 has been a good 3pmsf tire for us, but haven’t had it long enough to try in snow. The yokos are quieter than the BFG ta sport LTs.

^^^ those are 3pmsf, right? We have a set on our crv and they are good tires.

yokohama g015 has been a good 3pmsf tire for us, but haven’t had it long enough to try in snow. The yokos are quieter than the BFG ta sport LTs.
Correct, our minivan can actually get out of the driveway now when I don’t snow blow it absolutely perfectly lol

The General 365AW is a good choice.

While the Nokian WRG4 is popular, and Nokian is probably the best in snow, they seem to have a short tread life, if that matters. For a lower priced alternative, Nokian added the old WRG3 to their Nordman line, where it is called Nordman Solstice.

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 is another good choice.

If price is a concern, you might like the Milestar AW365.

What is your tire size? :unsure:

I live in the Denver area and am looking to replace the factory tires on my 2020 forte with something a little better for winter. I don’t want the hassle of dedicated snow tires so I am looking at the Goodyear Assurance Weatheready, Firestone Weather grips or the new General Altimax 360. I also need one that won’t have a huge impact on gas mileage. Any suggestion?
CrossClimate 2 by Michelin.

Maybe it is just me that find this funny. You live in Denver, how can switching to winter tires be considered as a hassle?
But seriously, does Denver or Colorado not have a law about this?

Maybe it is just me that find this funny. You live in Denver, how can switching to winter tires be considered as a hassle?
The Colorado traction law is dumbed down to M+S tire with 3/16" minimum tread pattern.

So, any M+S tire with sufficient tread depth is sufficient, even a summer tire like the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 would be compliant

Requirements are:

During a Traction Law, all motorists are required to have EITHER:

1. 4WD or AWD vehicle and 3/16” tread depth
  2. Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  3. Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  4. Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16” tread depth
  5. Chains or an approved alternative traction device
So if you have a 4WD or AWD vehicle, any tire with 3/16" tread depth is considered legal.

The Colorado traction law is dumbed down to M+S tire with 3/16" minimum tread pattern.

So, any M+S tire with sufficient tread depth is sufficient, even a summer tire like the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 would be compliant

Does the summer Comp-2 say M+S on it? :unsure:

While the Nokian WRG4 is popular, and Nokian is probably the best in snow, they seem to have a short tread life, if that matters. For a lower priced alternative, Nokian added the old WRG3 to their Nordman line, where it is called Nordman Solstice.

I had a set of Nokian WRG4 tires last me for 80,000 miles and probably could have gotten an additional 5000 miles or more out of them safely, 10,000 miles if I wanted to push it. Primarily driven at highway speeds. They are phenomenal in snow but have a very noticeable droning noise at higher speeds that gets worse as the tire wears.

I sell a lot of All Weather tires to folks up here in snow belt Wisconsin and most people I know have been very happy with Goodyear Weather Ready tires and more recently people have been taking quite liking to the Falken Wildpeak tires. The General 365 is becoming more popular and while I'm intrigued by the Cross Climate 2 tires the previous generation Cross Climate tires had a reputation for premature wear and also being very noisy as the tires became more worn. I am very hopeful for the Cross Climate 2 tires but only time will tell.

Attachments

• 0E20BFBE-B9F8-427D-9844-2404963B36E3.jpeg
    0E20BFBE-B9F8-427D-9844-2404963B36E3.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 28
Back