Went with Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 for my LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another thread I had asked what I should use for my TransAm (460/440 rwhp/trq)
After much deliberation I went with the Platinum 10/30 due to the fact it has received good reviews and cost half as much as the Redline that I originally chose. I'm probably only going to put 2-3000 miles per summer on this car and change the oil each summer so I can't justify the added expense of the Redline (although I'm sure it's a kick butt oil)...
Any opinions?

Sounds good PP is a fine oil,also you may want to check out M1 HM SL formulas for a boosted add pack advantage.

If I understand correctly, you're planning to change ultra every 2-3K? If that's the case I'm sure that Shell oil will appreciate your support of the Penzoil brand but it's difficult to imagine that the oil will need changing that often.

Now you have a whole year to wonder just how good the Redline would have been.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
If I understand correctly, you're planning to change ultra every 2-3K? If that's the case I'm sure that Shell oil will appreciate your support of the Penzoil brand but it's difficult to imagine that the oil will need changing that often.

Well, with an engine that cost around $12K, I am not worried about changing the oil... but don't want it to sit in the sump for 9 months going unused collecting moisture. So change away, I will.

Moisture/fuel is easily burnt off with a simple drive getting the oil up to temp.

but your ride do what makes you feel good.

Wouldn't happen to have any vids would you? Or of your truck, 1200tq
20.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: trik396
Originally Posted By: teddyboy

Well, with an engine that cost around $12K, I am not worried about changing the oil... but don't want it to sit in the sump for 9 months going unused collecting moisture. So change away, I will.

If I had $12k in a motor I sure wouldn't be looking to save a few dollars on oil. It would be Redline all the way.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
20.gif
crazy2.gif

Sorry no vids. Wouldn't make that much torque anymore as the Silver64 turbo took a [censored] on my and went back to the stocker.
And for those of you who've knocked my reasoning for opting out of the Redline, I say, "thanks for your opinion" as we all know the saying about opinions and _______. I guess it's my fault for asking.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
20.gif
crazy2.gif

Sorry no vids. Wouldn't make that much torque anymore as the Silver64 turbo took a [censored] on my and went back to the stocker.
And for those of you who've knocked my reasoning for opting out of the Redline, I say, "thanks for your opinion" as we all know the saying about opinions and _______. I guess it's my fault for asking.

Ahem....are you calling us names? Me particularly? I mean c'mon nobody was out of line towards you that I could see. All my point was (and I stand by that) is that if you can pay so much for a motor than why are you worried about a few bucks more for oil?

Trik -
Moisture won't collect unless you start it for short periods.
Sitting will not garner moisture in the oil.
That said, letting an engine sit for long periods of un-use is not good for it, or the car in general.
If you do start it, get it good and hot.

Wasn't calling anyone names... just that everyone has their own opinion, like... well, ya know. No offense meant. Sorry.
So what's everyone's "opinion" on what to do with a car that won't be driven once temps dip below 30ish...?

Wasn't calling anyone names... just that everyone has their own opinion, like... well, ya know. No offense meant. Sorry.
So what's everyone's "opinion" on what to do with a car that won't be driven once temps dip below 30ish...?

That's cool. As for your original question about a car not driven in colder temperatures and low miles the PP you chose will do you fine. So will Mobil 1 and other synlubes but you are probably smart in using the PP as the cost is lower and you are still getting a top quality oil with the GM certification.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

That's cool. As for your original question about a car not driven in colder temperatures and low miles the PP you chose will do you fine. So will Mobil 1 and other synlubes but you are probably smart in using the PP as the cost is lower and you are still getting a top quality oil with the GM certification.

I get the feeling that with his mods/built engine he is NOT too worried about the GM certs anymore, but YES PennzPlat (or Ultra) is GREAT stuff!

Probably the best "bang for the buck" (along with the M1 HM/EP flavors), and what I would use if I did not believe in the obsessive overkill that is Red Line (or Amsoil).
wink.gif

As far as what to do with a low yearly mileage/use ride; I would not know since mine is used year 'round, 365 days a year, in; cold, heat, snow, sleet, rain, mud, hail, etc.
21.gif

For low use and/or long periods of non-use, I would worry more about your fuel than your oil (a good choice either way). Add some Stabil or something so it won't gum up on you. Just a thought...

Rotella T6 once a year each spring along with a wix filter and you should be good to go. Do you have supporting mods to go along with the power? That 10 bolt wont last no time if you have a T56 with sticky tires and the clutch wont last 2 runs if it has not been upgraded.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

Rotella T6 once a year each spring along with a wix filter and you should be good to go. Do you have supporting mods to go along with the power? That 10 bolt wont last no time if you have a T56 with sticky tires and the clutch wont last 2 runs if it has not been upgraded.

Tick stage 2 T56 and Hays clutch. 10 bolt is ready to self destruct at any moment. Seriously it is making some aweful noises lately. This fall I'll be getting an S60 or some 9inch variety. If she lasts until fall.

Last edited:
"USA" as a location leaves one wondering if we are talkin' ARIZONA (where there is no moisture to accumulate unless you air condition the garage to about 60 degrees) or ALASKA (or the UP or SD, etc.) where you may well need a block heater to get a car in the garage started!

And how did "_______" actually get past the censor, BTW?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back