Wax vehicle once a year, what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you use if you hand waxed your vehicle once a year?
crushedcar.gif

I don't really care about shine as much as durability, and it has to be readably available at a local store.

Why only once a year? IMO, nothing will protect thatlong. That said, I suspect a synthetic wax/polish would work best. Try Mother's Synwax or similar product from other manufactures.

Nothing has "once a year," single coat durability. Even the synthetic products with the best durability ratings require multiple coats, over several days, to ensure complete and durable coverage. And even then, they recommend a minimum of twice yearly applications.

If you lived in a completely temperate climate, garaged your car for 90% of the time, and performed regular finish maintenance (i.e. weekly hand-washes with proper shampoo, spray on booster wax and quick detailing) you MIGHT get a year out of applications of multiple coats of either Zaino or Klasse. That's about it.

For a daily driver, in a moderate 4-season climate, with significant outdoor parking and over-the-counter waxes, 3-4 details per year would be strongly recommended, and twice yearly would be an absolute minimum. That is strictly from a protection standpoint, but a very nice appearance will also result. As far as durable over-the-counter waxes, I would suggest Liquid Glass, Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, Meguiar's #16 paste, Meguiar's NXT paste, and possibly Mother's Synwax.

Everyone has pretty much summed everything up pretty good. Apply 2 coats of sealant like Klasse, and then top with Collinite 2x a year should get ya there.

Jumps up and down, wildly waving arms above head, shouting out those wondrous words;

Liquid Glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One old fat guy's never humble opinion.

When NuFinish did their test many years ago, they applied their product to a new car and ran the car through a drive through car wash 52 times to silulate a vehicle being washed once a week for a year. And NuFinish said that the car was still beading water. Well, No Kidding! The car never got a chance to get dirty! This test doesn't take into account the hot sun beating down on your car during the hot summer months or the salt, mud and road grime caused by traffic and normal types of driving. Although I do like NuFinish for many reasons like ease of use, shine and durability, I don't thing that it could last a year with the way most people drive or if the vehicle isn't washed regularly. I also like most of the other products on the market that have been mentioned here and other web sites. The difference between one product and another IMHO is splitting hairs. Some products clean better, some shine better, some last a little longer, etc.
Between waxing, I like the quick detail or was as you dry type products. As the matter of fact, I use them all of the time after washing. My cars always look just waxed,(to me anyway!). Or at least well maintained.

I think a year is pushing it, even though last time I polished/sealed my car was March 2005 and it's still beading (2x Klasse AIO, then 2x Klasse High Gloss Sealant).

If I can stick to my game plan this year, I will use the Klasse applications as stated above, then apply an application of the high gloss every now and then.

NuFinish is a long lasting product, I'd say six months. I like it for NE winters and rims year round.

The only way to know for sure is to try a couple of products on different panels and judge for yourself. Shine, cost, ease of use and duribility are all trade offs though.

The NuFinish is a two coat product in that a second coat should be applied after the first coat has been done for a period of 30 days. I have used it on several vehicles for fifteen years or so. It goes on and comes off easy. The result is fine for me albeit not car show perfect. I think this is one of those "to each his own" type things. However, I do think that something that will last a year ungaraged with a single application is probably pretty scarce.

Sorry - not for a year. Nothing lasts that long. Liquid glass may have the longest life. But even with that, two months max. If you hand wash at least once a week, and get some rain/snow, you really need to wax monthly. If it doesn't bead and feel smooth, the protection is gone.

quote:

Originally posted by The Dummy:
The NuFinish is a two coat product in that a second coat should be applied after the first coat has been done for a period of 30 days. I have used it on several vehicles for fifteen years or so. It goes on and comes off easy. The result is fine for me albeit not car show perfect. I think this is one of those "to each his own" type things. However, I do think that something that will last a year ungaraged with a single application is probably pretty scarce.

I've read many times on detail forums that cleaner wax/sealants such as Nu Finish cannot be layered.

Here's one.

http://www.fastlouis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1839

"Some of these products contain abrasives (NuFinish for example) and cannot be layered. Klasse and Zaino are products that can be layered, which is part of their appeal, creating added durability and great shine/reflection. Perhaps their best virtue is their high melting point, above 392 degrees. Your existing wax MUST be stripped off the car before you use a polymer sealant, or it WILL NOT bond. Kind of like applying a band-aid to a finger that has moisturizer on it or is wet."

[ March 05, 2006, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

Colt, I only know what looks good to me and what I read on the container. NuFinish directions state that "For maximum protection, apply second coat in 30 days."

quote:

Originally posted by The Dummy:
Colt, I only know what looks good to me and what I read on the container. NuFinish directions state that "For maximum protection, apply second coat in 30 days."

You would get additional protection with another coat of NuFinsh.
Another month.
wink.gif

Could be an advertising ploy.
IMO I do believe that the harsh chemical cleaners in NuFinish would strip the surface and not layer.
cheers.gif

Colt is correct. The petro-solvents in NuFinish will remove some or all of the previous coat if a second coat is applied.

The benefit of applying two coats is to even out the shine and protection. The cleaning agents in NuFinish will also improve the looks of the finish by removing or hiding additional paint flaws.

2X coats does not mean 2X protection. More like 1.25X protection. This is true will almost all car wax products that use solvents and/or abrasives to improve the paint finish. Very very few car care products can be "layered" and those that are designed to do so, like Zaino, are limited on the total number of "layers".

Good replies. That makes sense to me. I have always puzzled over the "For maximum protection, apply second coat in 30 days." The evening out ties it together. It might also explain why I have noticed that two coats last generally no longer than one coat.
smile.gif
Either way, I like and recommend the product for easy use and acceptable shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back