Water pump bolts for Chevy LS engines

I ordered up some new water pump bolts for my 2008 Chevy 6.0 LS engine. I heard existing bolts on LS water pumps can be quite corroded so I decided to have the bolts on hand for a future water pump. The engine has over 255,000 miles. They are class 10.9 metric. I attached a sheet on metric bolts. As much as I would have like ARP stainless bolts this a more economic solution for me. Enjoy.

B681CA04-1B9A-4B2D-8292-562BF591C24F.jpeg
260F252E-C223-4665-822D-4BB3457FAA9B.jpeg
57991C92-7FAC-491C-826D-222D8C058F95.png

What did you "hear" exactly? Care to cite specifics? Why would they be corroded? Steel on Aluminum? Bad bolts from the factory? Idiots not servicing their water pump and hoses and letting it spray all over the engine? So are yours corroded or not? You should be more worried about removing the existing ones. those are extreme overkill for a waterpump, but good for you.

I don't use 8.8 at all anymore, buying in bulk the price difference between them and 10.9 is minimal. If I didn't live in the rust belt then I would have no issue using 8.8 but I do. The 10.8 can take a lot more torque removing them, it is rare that one breaks.
Use nickel anti seize or blue locktite on them and they will never corrode in the aluminum.

What did you "hear" exactly? Care to cite specifics? Why would they be corroded? Steel on Aluminum? Bad bolts from the factory? Idiots not servicing their water pump and hoses and letting it spray all over the engine? So are yours corroded or not? You should be more worried about removing the existing ones. those are extreme overkill for a waterpump, but good for you.
Thanks for your concern and comments. My water pump is fine right now and has no signs of weeping fluid. With 255,000 miles, if I do change it, I probably will not be the person who will change it again. Having said that, if the bolts ARE rusted, I’m not putting the same ones back in.

Yes , corrosion will probably not occur unless there is a internally leaking gasket. Stuff happens. Here is a screen shot from the LS1 forum. Enjoy.

4732F538-97BD-4E32-82B6-5E49735882A6.png

Don't go reengineering stainless into non-stainless applications. It loves to gall to other stainless (not an issue here) and some types are brittle. At a minimum cover them with anti-sieze if you run them. You accidentally made the right choice with these.

I preemptively replaced the water pump on my 2005 Chevy 5.3 at around 230,000 miles along with new OEM pulleys, tensioners, belts and alternator. I just wire wheeled the original bolts and applied blue loctite and all has been good for 15,000 miles. I would like to recommend if I may, the Melling MWP- 500WT pump. I got mine from Summit Racing for less than $150.00 W free shipping. It came with a new thermostat and housing and I was very impressed with the quality of the machining, packaging and fast delivery. So far mine has been stellar and Melling has a 3 year warranty. As a side note : Mark Melling replied to my post here last October about the pump along with a brief history of Mellings water pumps and expressed his gratitude for purchasing a Melling pump. Pretty cool stuff. I would post a link to my post if I only knew how…. 🤷‍♂️

Back