Water heater pilot light won't stay lit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to take a shower this morning and boy was that water cold! Checked the water heater in the garage and noticed no flame. Turned it off and waited several minutes before trying to re-light the pilot light. It lights but when I release the button it goes out again. Thermocouple issue perhaps?

Originally Posted By: refaller
Probably, they are pretty cheap and easy to replace.

ref

I would agree....

Thanks guys. Thank goodness we will be in the 70's here for a few days. Maybe I'll do it this weekend.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Went to take a shower this morning and boy was that water cold! Checked the water heater in the garage and noticed no flame. Turned it off and waited several minutes before trying to re-light the pilot light. It lights but when I release the button it goes out again. Thermocouple issue perhaps?

You think your shower was cold... try pulling unheated water out of Lake Erie for your shower right now !!

Yes, likely bad thermocouple

Nahh! It's just a 10min job if you seriously want to get it back to working.

simply stop by @ any big box store and get either a 24" or 30" thermocouple pack, bring it home and start working on it.

Q.

I would make sure your other gas appliances/heater is working. It could be the gasline regulator as well.

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
I would make sure your other gas appliances/heater is working. It could be the gasline regulator as well.

Yes, all are working fine.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
How long did you hold the button down before you released it?
Did you try cleaning the thermocouple?

Held the button down for a couple of minutes. 90 seconds at least.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Nahh! It's just a 10min job if you seriously want to get it back to working.

simply stop by @ any big box store and get either a 24" or 30" thermocouple pack, bring it home and start working on it.

Q.

That was going to be my next question. Thanks Q!

thermo....OR look at it...sometimes they can get dirty. Push it closer to the flame and try that. Might buy you a little time.

I had the same problem. My water heater had a flame sensor that was slightly corroded. I cleaned it with some emery cloth and it now works like a charm.

Might be worth a try.

My gas HWH has a little white button on a doo hickey that will open if the draft is messed with. There is an 800 # to call on the label if you have problems. The response was prompt and the tech walked me through the process on the phone. This has happened to me twice, so it wasnt a lucky fluke. I wish the tech service that I use was as good. I think the HWH is a GE. Whatever it is, I'm gonna replace it with the same brand when the time comes. Good service should be encouraged.

My water heater is branded as GE, also. I bought it at Home Depot in 2007. It is actually made by Rheem. That's right on the label.

By the way, the term "hot water heater" is redundant and incorrect even though many use it. If the water were hot it wouldn't need to be heated. Thus, it's a "water heater."

Conan the Grammerian strikes again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back