watching buyers of expensive replacement tires go into shock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember the last time I paid less than $500 for a set of quality tires, even for a compact. For my full size pickup the last set I purchased was $1k.

Tires are what keep the vehicle on the road in dry, wet, and slick conditions. They are worth the price.

On a similar note, back in the early 90's when I worked at a K-Mart Auto Center I once had a customer who had purchased a Porsche 928 used and came in for the Havoline $13.97 oil change. I don't remember the exact price, but it required something like 12 quarts of full synthetic plus a filter we had to order. Oil and filter alone was well over $100, he just about sh!t his pants.

The thing that puzzles me is when I see a set of huge aftermarket wheels with THE cheapest, nastiest tires ive ever seen on them. Ive got some Michelins on my standard 15" wheels and im very happy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: zach1900
We have bi-annual safety and emissions here or i would probably go longer on a set of tires, [censored] money grubbers.

If you fail a Missouri safety inspection for worn tires they are complete garbage. Must have cords showing or no visible tread pattern over half the width of the tire at any given point.

16" tires. Mazda 6 toastermatic 4 cylinder.

Last set was $800.

Tires are literally the only thing keeping you on the road, so don't go cheap.

People freak out about any recurring maintenance cost, you either plan ahead or you fail.

My truck rides on 20s, and gets 11 mpg. I knew that when I bought it, I really don't care that other people don't know how to budget. How else am I am going to buy their depreciated BMW with brand new tires for $0.50 on the dollar?

The 215/70R16 General Grabber AT2 tires I put on my Forester were $500 for the set of five (full size spare) after rebates. That's a lot of rubber for the money, and I'm never getting stuck in the snow.

As far as cars with run flat tires ( think BMW) many times the owners ditch the RF tires and just put non RF tires on the car for much less money. They also discover increased ride comfort.
And there is a small industry that sells compact spare kits for these cars so the owners feel like it's 1995 again.
My '13 Mazdaspeed 3 came equipped with tires costing $242 that are absolute junk. Tires costing 60% of that rate higher on tire rack dot com, and you can believe I'll be buying non OEM come tire time. I'll actually be going cheaper = better ....

When I am buying car, I always research how much are tires. I always go with Michelin, Continental or Bridgestone (I nixed Good Year some years ago).
If I cannot shell out without sweat for those brand tires (considering how I am driving I always go for top notch) then that car is not for me.
Then again some sizes on some car do not make sense. I want to buy this year 2012 Toyota Highlander Limited (I need that JBL inside to kind of feel better considering I am going to drive soccer mom car). So, why in the [censored] they put 19 inch wheels? Luckily 17inch wheel is possibility too, so I will just put winter tires on 17inch aftermarket wheels, and AS tires on 19inch wheels, or maybe ask dealer if they can switch 19's for 17's and then have for both seasons 17inches.
When it comes to people who buy BMW's etc, most of them have no clue why BMW is BMW. For them it is the name, nothing else. When they say that their BMW has V6 engine I have a feeling I will get a stroke at that moment.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
The thing that puzzles me is when I see a set of huge aftermarket wheels with THE cheapest, nastiest tires ive ever seen on them. Ive got some Michelins on my standard 15" wheels and im very happy
smile.gif

A lot of times, the cheapest, nastiest tires are all that's immediately available for stupid big wheels. Usually, people who go for absurdly sized wheels don't spring for expensive tires because they are already a few grand deep in bling bling, so the distributors don't keep quality brands in stock.

I had to order some tires for a Tahoe that had 26" wheels on it. All I could get right away was some weird brand of Chinese tires, I can't remember the name. And I had to send one of those back because a chunk of rubber was missing around the bead.

If your prudent, I don't find tires THAT expensive.
These are all OTD prices
$600 for 235/55R17's (H) for my Bonneville
$500 for 215/65R17's (T) for my 300
$570 for 215/55R17's (V) for my Camry
$475 - $535 for 225/60R16's (H) for my Villager

And I'm not going 3rd rate Chinese brands, these are Altimax RT43's, TrueContact's, and several assorted Goodyears.

What I consider "Safety Parts" are something No one should cheap out on
Brake pads, Tires, Wiper Blades, Batteries, etc...

TL:DR Conspicuous Consumption people don't have there priorities in line

My theory is that when I see huge pickup truck with giant wheels and tires driving around normal city streets in and around DFW it usually means something smaller than normal on the guy driving it.

Last edited:
Costco has gotten away from the mid price tires. Last set of tires I had to go to discount for my size P205/65R15. I had purchased BFGs at Costco before.

Seems they are pretty much all about Michelin, with some Bridgestone now.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
My theory is that when I see huge pickup truck with giant wheels and tires driving around normal city streets in and around DFW it usually means something smaller than normal on the guy driving it.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

In the early '90s I was just out of high school. I sold tires at a Sears auto center. About once a month someone would pull up in their high end car...Porsche,Corvette,etc.

Even though I worked on commission and 4 tires on one of those cars was a nice addition to my check,I'd give the sale to someone else.

Without fail, Mr. $50,000 sports car guy would throw a hissy fit when given the quote for a set of tires. They'd really get wound up when they discovered we didn't carry anything for their car in stock,and had to wait 10 days to get a set.

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge
16" tires. Mazda 6 toastermatic 4 cylinder.

Last set was $800.

Tires are literally the only thing keeping you on the road, so don't go cheap.

People freak out about any recurring maintenance cost, you either plan ahead or you fail.

Never paid more than $400-500(after rebate(s)) for a set of 235/45-17 for my 2000 E430.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

Without fail, Mr. $50,000 sports car guy would throw a hissy fit when given the quote for a set of tires. They'd really get wound up when they discovered we didn't carry anything for their car in stock,and had to wait 10 days to get a set.

Yeah, Mr. Z06 needing tires is the customer I don't want to see. Please order your tires from Tire Rack and have them delivered to a Tire Rack installer! "But I want 'Chevy' to install my tires..."
crazy.gif

Not a shocker for me but dropped $840 on 255/55/18's for my MDX with Nokian WR G2 SUV. The OEM Michelin CrossTerrain were quoted at $1200 installed which honestly was a shocker. The range was $600(China brand) to $1200 it appears.

My wife's Subaru Legacy GT has 215/45/17 which range from $350(sumitomo) to $750 for Michelin's Premier A/S per set(4) installed. That is same place, amazingly huge range! Limping around on 3/32" tires in the worst snow season on record (120" snowfall) for us.

I think calling around is key. I learned that in college 20+ yrs ago as nothing ever is in stock really anyway for my vehicles.

My main criteria is quiet and can actually be used in the winter.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney

I've heard something similar to that about certain Texans and their big belt buckles also.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back