Walmart Goodyear Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
That's a very common size. You can get the Avon or Kumho from tirerack for $68-72, and they are rated very good. Granted, you will still have to pay shipping and mounting. However, in the end, it will be $100 (more) well spent vs. the Goodyears from Wallmart. If moeny is really tight, check craigslist or ebay for some new take-offs. That is/was a very common size.

If I were to spend a $100 more I would get BF Goodrich. I will never by a Kumho tire. Avon tire I might, but I would risk the Goodyear before I would rish the Avon.

Sounds like you already made up your mind to use them so why not just do it? Let us all know how they work out.

Good luck with them.

11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Sounds like you already made up your mind to use them so why not just do it? Let us all know how they work out.

Good luck with them.

11.gif

Not so. If I start getting 40 hours again by the time I buy I will get the Bf Goodrich tires. If hours don't come back then I must get the Goodyear.

That particular tire was brought in during the Firestone issue as a replacement for defective Firestones. That is why it is pretty much seen in only one size. The Wal-mart warranty is valid ONLY for Wal-mart stores. Goodyear retailers will NOT honor warranty replacements. You can however, view their special order books and get the tires of your choice.

I have been keeping an eye on these tires for my Jeep. A Wal Mart tech told me if I could wait long enough, they will probably dip to $55 per tire. I'm still 3-5 months away, so I've been waiting for them to drop.

I just checked and they have a 215-75-15 Goodyear Viva passenger tire for $55 right now (at least at my local store). Not sure what your application is...just skimmed your post...but I am actually considering that tire. 215 is actually what my placard calls for and down here, my Jeep is much more a car than a badazz Jeeper. The biggest drawback is that they don't have the white letters I would like...

Good luck to you.

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
I have been keeping an eye on these tires for my Jeep. A Wal Mart tech told me if I could wait long enough, they will probably dip to $55 per tire. I'm still 3-5 months away, so I've been waiting for them to drop.

I just checked and they have a 215-75-15 Goodyear Viva passenger tire for $55 right now (at least at my local store). Not sure what your application is...just skimmed your post...but I am actually considering that tire. 215 is actually what my placard calls for and down here, my Jeep is much more a car than a badazz Jeeper. The biggest drawback is that they don't have the white letters I would like...

Good luck to you.

Send me a pm if your interested in some price matching info that will get you to your $55 price point.

Stopped in at my local Wally's and checked out this tire. Date codes on the tires I looked at were "0209", meaning produced in the second week of 2009, as fresh as a tire can be.

The rest of the codes are a little obscure. They showed "M6HL FNWR". Tire plant codes are in two character format.

M6 = Goodyear owned plant in Lawton, OK. This is likely the plant these tires are produced in.
HL = a Michelin plant in the UK. Scratch it off.
FN = Michelin in France. Nope.
WR = Not available. Most of the "W*" plants are overseas, anyway.

So it's safe to assume this tire is made by Goodyear in Oklahoma and is very fresh stock. Your store's inventory may vary, of course.

Hope this helps. Oh, the price was $65.00 for 235-75-15.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
M6 = Goodyear owned plant in Lawton, OK. This is likely the plant these tires are produced in.
So it's safe to assume this tire is made by Goodyear in Oklahoma and is very fresh stock.

Hey, my brother-in-law works at that plant, he may have mixed the rubber for that tire.
grin2.gif

Stopped in at my local Wally's and checked out this tire. Date codes on the tires I looked at were "0209", meaning produced in the second week of 2009, as fresh as a tire can be.

The rest of the codes are a little obscure. They showed "M6HL FNWR". Tire plant codes are in two character format.

HL = a Michelin plant in the UK. Scratch it off.
FN = Michelin in France. Nope.
WR = Not available. Most of the "W*" plants are overseas, anyway.

So it's safe to assume this tire is made by Goodyear in Oklahoma and is very fresh stock. Your store's inventory may vary, of course.

Hope this helps. Oh, the price was $65.00 for 235-75-15.

Dude that is awesome. It is very important to me in my purchases to support the American worker. It will make me feel good knowing I supported someones job in Oklahoma if I do indeed buy these.

These codes are NOT obscure, but you have to know how to read them:

The first 2 digits are a code for the manufacturing plant. In this case, M6 = Goodyear's Lawton plant.

The next 2 digits are a code for the tire size. In this case, HL = 235/75R15 following RMA's coding structure.

There are other coding structures - some standardized, some not. However, if asked by NHTSA, the tire manufacturer has to demonstrate there is a structure. Needless to say, many tire manufacturers use the RMA structure.

The next 3 or 4 digits are a code for the type of tire. In this case, FNWR = a particular version of Goodyear Wrangler, but the only ones who would be able to decipher that is Goodyear, but they could tell you quite a bit about the tire if they wanted to.

The last 3 or 4 digits are the date code. The format is week/week/year/year or week/week/year. These are always numbers.

Starting in the year 2000, the date coding used was 4 digits. That means the largest number you should see for the year is 09. Before 1999 the format was 3 digits. 1999 and 2000 are transition years, so you will find both 3 and 4 digits.

The date code only has to be on one side – and it is permissible for there to be a partial DOT code, so long as one side has the complete code.

And Bert got it exactly right: 0209 means the 2nd week of 2009.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
These were a very popular tire in the early 90's. I remember my dad having these on his GMC Jimmy and they were great in minor offroad and also in the snow and ice. There were also a bunch of vehicles that came new with them on. Jeep Wrangler being one of them.

For that price it will be hard to beat them.

Saw this same tire at Pep Boys yesterday. Since I read about it in your thread , I asked about it. The clerk pointed the low wear numbers and said "You get what you pay for." Interesting!

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Saw this same tire at Pep Boys yesterday. Since I read about it in your thread , I asked about it. The clerk pointed the low wear numbers and said "You get what you pay for." Interesting!

YUP! 300 UTQG is not good and why they are just $65. BUT if that fits the OP's needs then that is great.
thumbsup2.gif

the dunlop tyres that came on my camry from the factory were 220 A A tyres... hardly spectacular but they did the job.

I think, if a tyre wears, it must give grip, so wear itself is not a bad thing!

Originally Posted By: crinkles
the dunlop tyres that came on my camry from the factory were 220 A A tyres... hardly spectacular but they did the job.

I think, if a tyre wears, it must give grip, so wear itself is not a bad thing!

Car tire vs a truck/suv tire is different. Trucks and SUV's are harder on tires and thus need a tire with a higher treadwear ability.

Just bought 4 of these this past week at a local tire/auto repair shop.They are the exact same tire sold at WM,checked last night.

So far,I really like them,they have a very good ride and are very quiet for a truck tire.

I have them on a 96 chevy blazer with 200k on it. Good tire for the money in my opinion. They look beefy and for the most part perform well. After 6000 miles on them they still look and feel good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back