Wally-Mart TECH2000 Best 0w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
You need to back down from the opinionated assumptions based on technical data.

Test the oil IN REAL LIFE instead of assuming so much from a grouping of numbers.

When people post their experiences with oil, they get "That's just your own personal opinion. You can't rely on the ol' butt dyno. Look at the data!"

When people post technical comparisons, they get "That's just a bunch of numbers. Who knows if they really mean anything in real life? Go try it out!"

dunno.gif

How can technical data be "opinionated"? It's a number. Granted it's an average and can vary a bit, and a few degrees difference in pour/flash point may not be noticeable under normal conditions. But if oil A has a higher flash point than oil B, then it does. No opinion involved.

You cannot say one oil is better than the other until you truly have UOA's and testing on each of them.

You just can't look at two sets of numbers and make an extremely generalized assumption that one oil will be better than the other.

That is all I am saying.

Anything else is mostly conjecture.

quote:

Can't be compared at all. Two completely different oils.

Same base oil technology. Same manufacturer. Same flash point. Same 100C viscosity. TBN is same. 40C viscosity and VI of course is poorer with the 10w30.

And you know for a fact that Petro Canada has been making their oils since 2003?

What is in each oil, Mo, Calcium, and such....

There is more to oil than the VI, and the kinematic viscositites you know.

I know some group II oils that have all the same data as well, so that must mean they are the same as well.

Way too much assumption......

quote:

And you know for a fact that Petro Canada has been making their oils since 2003?

No idea other than what I read here. If you followed that thread through, the conclusion seemed to be that PetroCan was the source in this case. I can tell you that in the synthetic line PetroCan sells 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30. That's it, and Walmart sells the same three grades in Synthetic, all in the same containers, and said to be made in Canada. Seems to all fit, but who knows for sure? Too bad they don't do a Xw20!

quote:

Originally posted by Ron AKA:
But there is some hope. I see gas is finally heading down, and there apparantly were some areas hitting $0.76/L in Ontario. Here in Alberta it is still in the 90's.

Actually it hit 67.6 cents per liter one night last week here in Ontario!

If my mom had kept her 94 Probe GT a little bit longer before trading it in on a VW Golf, I would've had a UOA to post from this Tech 2000 0w30, as that was the oil that was in her crankcase when she traded it. It only had about 1000km on it at the time though, so it wasn't worth getting analyzed though.
frown.gif

Price is down to 90.5 here. Still from what it was at 1.17/liter a while ago, that is a savings of $16.20 a 60L tank.

In any case, spec numbers are just a guide. The oil's actual performance inside an engine is the real story. As said above, we know very little about the additive package from those specs.

Compare those stats with the specs listed for Schaeffer's 5W-30 blend. Note the important stats not published by the other oil companies.

Run the oil and compare used oil analysis results with different oil in the same engine and same driving conditions. That, and many UOA reports from different engines, are the only ways to tell the real quality of an oil.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Compare those stats with the specs listed for Schaeffer's 5W-30 blend. Note the important stats not published by the other oil companies.

Looks like quite a decent oil for a blend. Low temp performance not quite up to the PetroCan. NOACK Volatility seems a bit high, and I don't understand the wide range in viscosity. If it really changes that much, it must drive the UOA guys crazy. Unless you had your actual as new viscosity, how could you determine how fast it was changing when measured used.

Went to Wally world today to check this out.

Most Tech 2000 oils say for example "S/K 5w-30" on the first line of the shelf label. This is understood since most tech 2000 oils are made by Safety Kleen Canada. Castrol, M1, Valvoline all follow this shelf label system.

However, the Synthetic Tech 2000 shelf labels do not start out with the Manufacturer ID like the non-synth tech 2000 labels do. This also applies to the synth vs. regular transmission fluids.

It stands to reason (based on this one clue only) that the manufacturer is different for the Tech 2000 full synth than the regular tech 2000. The full synth tech 2000 is the only oil on wally world shelfs that doesn't identify the Mfg. on the product code in the first line of the shelf label. Also, the Tech 2000 synth bottles have a serial number providing batch/date/time of bottling sprayed along the top of the label in dot-matrix (much like german castrol bottles have on the bottom).

Interestingly, the oil bottles are made by the same bottle manufacturer, (which is a way to identify the Esso/Exxon oil labelled as President's Choice at Loblaws/Superstore). To try to nail this shut, I'm going to take a field trip to a local petro-canada gas station and see if the Tech 2000 synth bottles are the same as the duron synthetic, and see if the dot-matrix printing on the side looks the same. If these clues align, you might just be right. Now if the bottles are from a totally different manufacturer, then I'm guessing it's not a Petro Canada product. Walmart would likely just deliver "Tech 2000 Synth" labels to Petro Canada for affixing to their existing stock of bottles at the bottling facility.

I'll report back shortly.

That was quick,

The duron bottles are a different shape, different manufacturer, and the serial numbers on them have a different format (indecipherable as to date, time, batch).

Just based on those clues, and compared to the superstore/loblaws example (same bottles, bottle mfg, serial number format etc.) I'm guessing the tech 2000 synth is not petro canada made. It just wouldn't make that much sense for wal-mart to deliver truckloads and truckloads of their own bottles to the petro-canada bottling plant when they could just relabel petro canada bottles as Tech 2000.

Just my two cents! (I'd like to know who makes this tech 2000 stuff).

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
To try to nail this shut, I'm going to take a field trip to a local petro-canada gas station and see if the Tech 2000 synth bottles are the same as the duron synthetic, and see if the dot-matrix printing on the side looks the same.

I could be wrong in this but I believe the Duron line is PetroCan's HD Universal Gas/Diesel oil, like the ESSO XD-3. In synthetic they appear to only make it in 5w40, and I also suspect it is not SM/GF-4 qualified.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
I'd like to know who makes this tech 2000 stuff.

Who else in Canada makes 0w30 synthetic? And, there is the possibility that PetroCan does not do the bottling for WalMart, and it is done by a third part.

Shell is interesting. Found no 0w30, but their 5w30 and 10w30 are essentially identical to the PetroCan grades. The CCS and MRV are idential to the last digit in matching the PetroCan numbers. Seems clear Shell is not making synthetic and is just buying from PetroCan. 0w30 probably not popular enough.

ESSO essentially don't make synthetic in mainstream auto grades any more (and perhaps never have). They just sell Mobil 1. There is the XD-3 but it is only synthetic in a couple of grades and not SM/GF-4.

Castrol is a possibility, but do they even make those oils in Canada? The TECH2000 bottle says oil is made in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back