VW surpasses Toyota as number one in sales 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
PURE DATA doesn't lie.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why do customers keep buying Toyotas after they learned about the accelerator pedal issues?
Why do customers keep buying GM cars after they learned about the ignition switch problems?

There's a difference between imperfect humans making honest mistakes (as we all do), versus deliberately cheating on a test to defraud the customers.

Customers were not defrauded, they received a car with more power and mileage. Who buys cars because of emissions specs? The only entity that was defrauded was the government.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's obvious that all these people buying VWs are dumb. Now, when Toyota was/is No.1, it is obviously because of all the really smart folks who bought the superior product.
Yup, the "I've got a GERMAN car" posers LIKE diesels which have to be "returned to sender".

Originally Posted By: pete643
PURE DATA doesn't lie.
Why do customers keep buying Toyotas after they learned about the accelerator pedal issues?
Why do customers keep buying GM cars after they learned about the ignition switch problems?

There's a difference between imperfect humans making honest mistakes (as we all do), versus deliberately cheating on a test to defraud the customers.

Customers were not defrauded, they received a car with more power and mileage. Who buys cars because of emissions specs? The only entity that was defrauded was the government.
And now the owners have to take a hit on depreciation. Thanks VW.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: pete643
PURE DATA doesn't lie.

And now the owners have to take a hit on depreciation. Thanks VW.

The checks VW have been mailing out exceed that of any potential depreciation.

I know a few people who have been dinged by Toyota "customer service" who will not be buying Toyotas any longer. These are customers who have bought them for years.

The issues included Tacoma and Tundra frames, Tacoma leaf spring squeak problems, oil burning issues, and weird Prius brake problems. All of them were basically told "we sell so many cars we don't care" by Toyota.

Not saying this is abnormal, since it seems most automakers have this attitude, but it seems to have caused many owners to take Toyota off such a high pedestal. Same thing goes for Honda. My mom has been treated terribly by a few different Honda dealerships and now refuses to go to the dealer for any service on her car. She questions if her next car will even be a Honda, and she has driven them since her first car (1986 Civic hatch).

when Toyota was/is No.1, it is obviously because of all the really smart folks who bought the superior product.
Toyota engines are ranked #2 in reliability. VW is near-last.

Given the Emissions Test cheating that happened in the U.S. and EU, I think customers must be dumb. Why do customers keep buying Volkswagens after they learn they were lied to about "clean" cars?

My next diesel will definitely NOT be a Volkswagen.
It will be the #3 best-selling supplier (GM).

The American public doesn't care about the cheating on the emissions testing. They could care less, and honestly I'm one of them. We force manufacturers to build clean Diesel engines that use more fuel... kinda negates the point of cleaning the exhaust air while burning more fossil fuels. I would still buy a VW, however I prefer the turbocharged gas engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
when Toyota was/is No.1, it is obviously because of all the really smart folks who bought the superior product.

Given the Emissions Test cheating that happened in the U.S. and EU, I think customers must be dumb. Why do customers keep buying Volkswagens after they learn they were lied to about "clean" cars?

Because the way I see it, the VW "cheat" was a benefit to consumers.

There are also those that buy what we like, and VW places higher on our list (way higher) than a beige Toyota.

+1

Toyotas are very boring cars in my experience. They feel like tools to get you from A to B. Just like most Hondas. Volkswagens on the other hand have gas pedals that make the car actually move faster when you press them and steering wheels with some feel in them. I would by a VW over a Toyota almost any day of the week.

PURE DATA doesn't lie.

No, but people certainly do. They also like to conveniently omit details that are paramount the relevance of the data they are using to base the opinion they are peddling. Essentially, misrepresenting data doesn't make the data itself false. But whomever is presenting the data can indeed be presenting "false facts" if the scope and applicability of the data is incorrect, omitted, or presented misleadingly in order to further the agenda of the individual in question.

Yelling it in all caps doesn't make it any more valid, relevant or prop up a lack of context either.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

By an aftermarket warranty company dealing with vehicles in the UK. You conveniently omitted that qualifier from your statement.

hahaha, Chris that's going to leave a mark...

This is hilarious... I know alot of folks with VW's and the only ones that like them are the ones who are able to fix them or know a really good indy. Anyone can fix a Toyota but to have proper repairs done on a VW, you need to find good trained people. I know a good number of people who scrapped their VW's due to many and expensive repairs and chronic breakdowns. To each their own but I'd never been into VW. I love how everyone echoes fun to drive but reality is, you have speed limits and traffic rules..I guess Im boring but I will take reliability over fun.

Last edited:
It's obvious that all these people buying VWs are dumb. Now, when Toyota was/is No.1, it is obviously because of all the really smart folks who bought the superior product.

LOL

My thoughts exactly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky

Because the way I see it, the VW "cheat" was a benefit to consumers.

There are also those that buy what we like, and VW places higher on our list (way higher) than a beige Toyota.

+1

Toyotas are very boring cars in my experience. They feel like tools to get you from A to B. Just like most Hondas. Volkswagens on the other hand have gas pedals that make the car actually move faster when you press them and steering wheels with some feel in them. I would by a VW over a Toyota almost any day of the week.

It's your money. You can spend it as you wish. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Lots of people like vanilla. My Toyotas must be defective because they all go faster when you push the gas pedal.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Am I the only one here that wishes GM was still the worlds largest auto maker?

Is this sarcasm?

Your signature combined with this post is misleading.

I don't give a [censored] who's the biggest car maker, I just want the best. And that of course is Toyota. I guess "boring" is the best argument the haters can come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
I don't give a [censored] who's the biggest car maker, I just want the best.

The definition of 'best' varies from one customer to another. So no, Toyota is not always the best.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back