VW 30 000km filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was cleaning the garage I came across an old used filter off my 03 Passat. Most of the printing is German but I did notice one thing: 30 000km. Is this the interval VW thinks this filter will last? Seems like a looooong interval to me. No wonder they have sludgy 1.8Ts.

I think it's why they make filters with such high bypass ratings. They must have a tremendous load capacity in the filters to endure that duration of OCI. The media must be very strong and reinforced.

I assume that they have engineered in sufficient buffering in the oil pump in terms of pressure relief ceiling to accomodate the upstream elevated pressures.

Here's the WIX for the VW

Part Number: 51393
UPC Number: 765809513938
Principal Application: Audi (71-05), Volkswagen (96-05)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.820
Outer Diameter Top: 3.020
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 33
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.800 2.450 0.230

Here's essentially the same filter for an American car spec ..with probably a 7500 (12,500km) max OCI recommendation.

Part Number: 51516
UPC Number: 765809515161
Principal Application: Ford/Merc. Cars + Trucks (81-05), Chrysler/Jeep (02-05), Mazda Trucks (94-05)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

dunno.gif

[ June 14, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

I've mentioned before that European and Asian OEM's typically have less efficient media and more life than US filter equivalents.

It might be interesting to read an owners manual from Germany vs the same model in the USA, as it relates to oil change interval.

Just because the Germans say one thing in Europe does not mean it holds true in the USA. Oil formulations are different as well, I believe.

quote:

Originally posted by ktm525:
Why design a filter for 30k kms and then demand that it be changed every 8k kms?

They didn't design this this filter just for the 1.8T Passat obviously. VW wanted us to start using this larger filter to increase the oil capacity to near what 1.8T's have in other models.

30k km isn't much different than many North American-designed cars recommend on plain old FRAM's or similar styles of filters.

My GM 3.1L V6 specifies 25k km's on the same filter and the filter is small and flimsy compared to the VW filter. Do I have any concerns about longevity running 25k km's? No. And as long as you don't do something stupid like run nondetergent dino oil, I doubt you'd run into a problem with the VW filter and 30k mile intervals.

I dunno, I drop em every 8000 km's when I change the oil. The "new" larger filter for the Passat 1.8T (old VW diesel filter holds almost 1L of oil. So if I change just the oil I only get about 75% of the oil. With the potential to sludge I don't take the chance. I just checked my manual and it states a fliter change every 8k kms. Why design a filter for 30k kms and then demand that it be changed every 8k kms? My oil change costs are going to drop big time when I switch from Mobil 0W-40 to XD3 0W-40 and change my filter every third change (after warranty period).
smile.gif

Why design a filter for 30k kms and then demand that it be changed every 8k kms?

Nothing turns out the way even our utilitarian friends expect it to.
dunno.gif

>>

I think because of the cross references and because the filter is imported from Germany. By that I mean for my '01 A4 V6 the interval is 10,000 miles or a little over 16,000 kilometers and in Germany I believe they go with even longer intervals but still use the same filters, so the filter needs to be able withstand the longer intervals.

Actually the 30 000km marked filter was the smaller 1.8t filter that was used before the switch to the diesel filter. Perhaps VW had a feeling that inferior oil may be used in NA on the 1.8T and was hedging it's bets with a shortened OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back