How to prevent bugs sticking to windshield?

Any thoughts on PREVENTING bugs from sticking to your windshield and front end?
This IS more of a maintenance item for me than it is a wash and detail item, hence posting it here and not there.

Ok, guys take a second and pile on, get it out of your system... 😅Then we can get down to business!
(don't drive, don't hit bugs, drive in reverse, only drive in winter, only drive indoors) Did I miss any?

backstory:
I commute roughly 120 miles everyday and much of that journey runs parallel to a River. This means tons of bugs in the air and it creates a mess on my vehicle daily. Its extremely excessive to say the least... 🪰🪰

On my previous commuter car I used a hood Bra which worked awesome for the front end and it was fitting for the car since it was more of sports compact car. Not so much for the paint under it, but oh well, I can cover that with a new Bra.
For the windshield I kept it treated with Rain X, used the heaviest duty washer fluid I could find and just kept after it. Every 2 weeks in the summer I would use IPA and a razor blade to clean the windshield then re-treat it with the Rain X.

I am just looking for any tips, tricks or feedback on the topic. Ways to prevent bugs from sticking as much to paint and glass, or a chemical to teat the surfaces that allow for easy removal at the very least. My current commuter is an ES-350 so I'm not really looking to go the Bra route. I know LEXUS offers a protective film for these cars, but I have seen these leave adhesive residue behind and I'm not wanting to take the chance on the residue...

I have to wonder if a quality ceramic coating would do the trick, as I do plan on having the car buffed then a ceramic coating applied. (still researching the best costing to use)

I'll leave it at that for now...

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
During the summer if going on a trip I use Diamondite Bug Blocker. It's a thick liquid that is applied to the front of the car. Like a syrup that dries non sticky. Bugs may stick to it but their nasty bug guts don't get to the paint. It washes off easily with soap and water.
But for daily use I don't think it would be practical. For the windshield Rain X or a similar product should work.

During the summer if going on a trip I use Diamondite Bug Blocker. It's a thick liquid that is applied to the front of the car. Like a syrup that dries non sticky. Bugs may stick to it but their nasty bug guts don't get to the paint. It washes off easily with soap and water.
But for daily use I don't think it would be practical. For the windshield Rain X or a similar product should work.
This sounds like a product body shops use instead of masking a vehicle off with paper. They spray down the areas that won't be painted with this coating and it comes off when detailing the vehicle.

Reactions: hrv
OP - I have no bug removal advise.

But, check your radiator to see if it's loading up with bugs.
I bought a long-extended nozzle that you attach to a garden hose.
Slip it in on back side of radiator and flush towards the front grill.

I'd pick your favorite brand of inexpensive synthetic sealant. Less gooey than wax, a few more bugs' guts will bounce off, and inexpensive because you'll still need a solvent to get the rest off, stripping off the sealant so it is reapplied afterwards.

Otherwise, stop driving in a straight line and hitting the bugs. The steering wheel is there for a reason! ;)

There's a boat load of suitable products out there.

My Fave:
Mom's '91 Taurus in "Platinum" (aka Putty) was driven through liquid dairy cow poo in the Summer.
It'd stick to the lower body like nobody's business.
Orange bottle Nu-Finish, daubed on and let to dry, matched the paint and washed off effortlessly.

Ever heard of love bugs? We go through two times spring and fall. They are horrible for a car finish. Their guts are strongly acidic. Best thing we have found is wash your car often.

Reactions: wlk
I would recommend PPF.
Talk to a few installers on your concerns.
Installed it on 2 of my cars, the 2016 paint looks factory new, the 2019 as well.

This is what I used.

I haven't seen a large bug swarm screw up my windshield in decades.
About 20 years ago in Florida was probably the last I remember. Car was covered on windshield and grill.
Just not many bugs around now I guess.

OP - I have no bug removal advise.

But, check your radiator to see if it's loading up with bugs.
I bought a long-extended nozzle that you attach to a garden hose.
Slip it in on back side of radiator and flush towards the front grill.
Absolutely, good call.

This has been part of my maintenance routine, not the exact way you describe but I do keep tabs on the radiator and condenser coil. On the M3 it was more about the condenser coil as it was more exposed.
With the LEXUS I just went through some 100k mi maintenance items and a new radiator was part of that project. So currently its perfectly clean, but I will keep tabs on it.

I'd pick your favorite brand of inexpensive synthetic sealant. Less gooey than wax, a few more bugs' guts will bounce off, and inexpensive because you'll still need a solvent to get the rest off, stripping off the sealant so it is reapplied afterwards.

Otherwise, stop driving in a straight line and hitting the bugs. The steering wheel is there for a reason! ;)
The problem is... The last time I successfully swerved around all of the bugs on my commute, I ended up having to take a breathalyzer!!🤪😝😂

We had snow flurries this week and the very next day I was out in the yard swatting gnats away from my face.
Its a losing battle. My defense has always been to avoid driving at dusk, wax often (especially the front end) and frequent washing.
Your level of dedication will directly relate to your level of cleanliness.

I would recommend PPF.
Talk to a few installers on your concerns.
Installed it on 2 of my cars, the 2016 paint looks factory new, the 2019 as well.

This is what I used.
This is really the most effective option... But as you mentioned, my concerns. The issue is that a salesmen can tell me anything and I will not know the difference until long after wards when it comes off, so personal reviews are important (like yours). Your link shows a dealer not too for from me and I would anticipate that this service is less expensive than the LEXUS factory version, and may be better material

Have you actually removed the material yet?
if so-
How often do you have to replace yours?

Is it just the front clip and valance or is it all the way back the hood?

Back