VIS 100

WATER 0.0

COOLANT 0.00

TBN 6.7

OXID N/A

NITR N/A

weak sauce!
7.96 out of the bottle? 6.7 TBN?
No moly or boron, low calcium and little magnesium?

Probably ok for a 3-5K OCI, but so is cheap dino. I'll pass.

Thanks for doing the VOA on this oil. I figured it had an add pack like Valvoline. I would not go so far as to write this oil off. It has a high FP and no obvious contaminants. I am liking this oil, and I was thinking it had to be the cheapest garbage with a name, but upon looking at the spec sheets and now your VOA I think this oil rivals many of the other Major (non OEM) 0w20's. The TBN is normal for 0w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
weak sauce!
7.96 out of the bottle? 6.7 TBN?
No moly or boron, low calcium and little magnesium?

Yes the add' pac' is week.
But the low KV100 of 7.96cSt could be good, the lower the better since it implies less than average VIIs. It still must have at least a 2.6cP HTHSV. We can't tell the whole viscosity picture without the KV40 though.

Peak is weak ! Look at the low TBN (6.7). There are much better oils in 0w20...such as M1, and PP.

My next oil change will be M1 0w20......

Guys, its not designed to be a top-tier oil for 10k-plus OCI's.

It's designed to go 5-9k-ish depending on vehicle requirements and/or OLM, and it will easily do that - modern, effecient engines will easily do that.

Does anyone know if peak synthetic 5w20 is the same formulation?
which i have 30 qts of from last years black friday sale, I'm using them in the honda accord

Personally, I'm glad that oil companies are coming out with oils like these...with more and more man. calling for 0W-20 oils, and that usually being a syn oil for 7.5k runs on average (even less for some), it's nice to see there are inexpensive options for those who want them.

Now, I just wish more of these darn 0W-20's would make it up here! All we have on store shelves is PP 0W-20 and M1 0W-20 in some stores for $9-10/quart! It would be nice to have some COMPETITION!!!

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Now, I just wish more of these darn 0W-20's would make it up here! All we have on store shelves is PP 0W-20 and M1 0W-20 in some stores for $9-10/quart! It would be nice to have some COMPETITION!!!

Don't forget you can go to your local Toyota dealer and pick up their 0w20 for just $5.70 per liter. I can't see why anyone would pay $9 to $10 for the other choices when this stuff is so cheap? Even the Honda 0w20 isn't that much more than this, it's under $7 a liter I believe.

Exactly, plus there's the excellent Idemitsu made Honda and Acura 0W-20 that's only 5 bucks/L. And the Petro-Canada 0W-20. And the Mazda 0W-20 for $5.95/L (apparently made by PC).
So yes we have plenty of 0W-20 choice at a very decent price.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I definitely would not run this garbage for the recommended 10k.

Usually I agree with what you post, bud, but this statement is SOOO stupid I'm sad to see you made it.

Check out the threads on other low-SA 0W-20's...all have low metallic additive counts, and TBN's around 6-7. This oil is no different than them.

How many Honda's and Toyota's are you hearing of blowing up b/c they are doing 10k on oils like these? We're a 'fanatical' bunch here, but LOTS of folks stick an oil like this in their car and go 10-12k w/o giving it another thought.

You know better - stop being a twit!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I definitely would not run this garbage for the recommended 10k.

Usually I agree with what you post, bud, but this statement is SOOO stupid I'm sad to see you made it.

Check out the threads on other low-SA 0W-20's...all have low metallic additive counts, and TBN's around 6-7. This oil is no different than them.

How many Honda's and Toyota's are you hearing of blowing up b/c they are doing 10k on oils like these? We're a 'fanatical' bunch here, but LOTS of folks stick an oil like this in their car and go 10-12k w/o giving it another thought.

You know better - stop being a twit!

lol.gif

True, many other 0w-20 "synthetic" oils have lower starting TBNs. However, it is unclear whether the TBN retention is equal between the different brands.

Also, it's hard to say what condition the engine will be at 100k. Or 150k, versus a top-tier product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back