VIZIO TV's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that electronics from Walmart are lower quality because they force the manufacturers to meet a certain price range,so they end up using cheaper parts.Compare a same brand,model to another store and they probably have different sku numbers! so I've heard also.

While I can't tell you for sure it is true that any large enough purchaser can have a 'spec' item built to order.

If I order enough and pay for it they'd do it for me.

My biggest gripe with Vizio televisions, which is also why I've never bought one, is their terrible design. They're just ugly.

While most television manufacturers have been creating thinner bezels and more sleek designs, Vizio still maintains a thick bezel and a generally clunky look.

A television, especially a 40"+ unit, is a big piece of decor. Spending another $100 on a unit that looks nice is worth it.

Going on 2 years with no complaints or issues with VIZIO - XVT553SV 55" LED-backlit LCD TV 1080p.
banana2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: renegade_987

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dishdude
For $268 can you go wrong? If it breaks in a couple years you got your money's worth. But...for around $299 you should be able to find an LG/Samsung which is arguably a better set.

I agree. For about $30-50 more you should get Samsung or Sharp or Toshiba.

I'll take a look at Sharp and Samsung. Not a big LG fan after seeing a couple. Thanks for the inputs!

FWIW, Vizio gets their LCD panels straight from LG.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
My biggest gripe with Vizio televisions, which is also why I've never bought one, is their terrible design. They're just ugly.

While most television manufacturers have been creating thinner bezels and more sleek designs, Vizio still maintains a thick bezel and a generally clunky look.

A television, especially a 40"+ unit, is a big piece of decor. Spending another $100 on a unit that looks nice is worth it.

True, but Vizio tv's, while possibly being thicker and uglier, tend to have much louder and better quality speakers (audio syncing issues aside). The problem with most brand's LED-LCD and CCFL-LCD tv's is that the thin panel dictates tiny speakers that are well-hidden. Vizio on the other hand still puts front-firing speakers on every tv they sell. This usually makes for a bulkier, larger tv, however.

From what I hear Vizio is a decent name, the reason why theyre so cheap is the distributor needs to order them by the shipping container, and not everyone can move that many TVs. Hes in product management for a consumer rewards company and frequents tech training on products.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

True, but Vizio tv's, while possibly being thicker and uglier, tend to have much louder and better quality speakers (audio syncing issues aside). The problem with most brand's LED-LCD and CCFL-LCD tv's is that the thin panel dictates tiny speakers that are well-hidden. Vizio on the other hand still puts front-firing speakers on every tv they sell. This usually makes for a bulkier, larger tv, however.

Understood and agreed. Most ultra-thins do have sub-par sound.

Just because it doesn't break down doesn't really mean it's a great LCD. To be a great LCD, it has to have the bang for the buck in pic quality, too...

Calibrate a Vizio to its best pic quality, and calibrate a Samsung / Panasonic to their best pic, and then connect a blu ray player with the same movie playing and evaluate the pic quality side by side...
(This is what I did when I shopped for my LCD)...

Then you will see the difference between the pic qualities of Vizio and the high(er) end brands....It's not just one aspect but a mixture of quality panels AND electronics and amount of pic adjustments available that makes an HDTV perform well.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Just because it doesn't break down doesn't really mean it's a great LCD. To be a great LCD, it has to have the bang for the buck in pic quality, too...

Calibrate a Vizio to its best pic quality, and calibrate a Samsung / Panasonic to their best pic, and then connect a blu ray player with the same movie playing and evaluate the pic quality side by side...
(This is what I did when I shopped for my LCD)...

Then you will see the difference between the pic qualities of Vizio and the high(er) end brands....It's not just one aspect but a mixture of quality panels AND electronics and amount of pic adjustments available that makes an HDTV perform well.

Do your research and you'll find that the VIZIO XVT553SV 55" LED-backlit LCD TV 1080p was voted TV of the year in 2010,so I doubt the picture quality was suffering too much when they made their choice. I've seen many Vizio tv's setup and calibrated,there's nothing wrong with picture quality.

I have the VIZIO XVT553SV. I was in vizio prerelease program and had the tv and testing it for 3 months or so before release. The picture is absolutely amazing. I have it set up and calibrated correctly and smart dimming enabled to where sections of led will actually turn off to reach near true black levels. Got to laugh at all the [censored] in this thread and people swinging on Samsung. Should I go into amount of samsung products I have with issues? How about bd player, fridge, front load washer, microwave.

I bought a 47" Vizio almost a year ago off Woot! It was a refurb and I got it for $549 (+$5 shipping). Haven't had a single problem and the picture is every bit as good to my eye as the similar size TV's I had looked at (at twice the price).

I sse them (Vizio), as being the best price/quality TV available for the average consumer.

On a side note, I wouldn't buy another Sony product regardless of price. They once were top-notch, but in my experiences with several different products recently, they've become garbage.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Got to laugh at all the [censored] in this thread and people swinging on Samsung. Should I go into amount of samsung products I have with issues? How about bd player, fridge, front load washer, microwave.

Our Samsung LCD is our 1st LCD TV and after several years it's still functioning well...in addition to the great pic quality
smile.gif

Last edited:
BTW I wouldn't buy anything else from Samsung...Their LCDs are great and have great functions...
for the BR player I went with Panasonic - didn't like the Samsung BR players I tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back