Viscosity Shear (Viscosity reduction and permanent shear)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continuing this off-topic discussion of TooSlick's formula: plugging some more numbers using most recent Butler VOA findings, and a new one for the Amsoil ACD Heavy-duty SAE30/10W-30, we get:

Mobil 1, 0W-40----13.9/3.6 = approx. 3.86
Mobil 1, 5W-40----14.5/4.1 = approx. 3.54
Mobil 1, 10W-30---11.0/3.2 = approx. 3.43
Amsoil SAE 30-----10.9/3.4 = approx. 3.21
Amsoil 3K 5W-30---12.2/3.6 = approx. 3.38

Notes:
(1)Amsoil HDD is shown at 11.5 on the Amsoil web page, but reported by Butler at 12.2. At 11.5, the ratio would be 3.19. (If the HT/HS is 3.6...on the web page, it is reported as >3.5, which could mean 3.51 and above).
(2) Amsoil promptly emailed me the 3.4 HT/HS for the ACD. This number is NOT reported on their web page.

I conclude from this, that this nifty formula is a good relative gauge of shear stability, and heavily dependent on the accuracy of the reported numbers. Also, the table above - reflecting a few tested numbers (more accurate?) - tends to squeeze the ratios closer together. Of course, the greater the vicosity range, the generally less the indicated shear stability, as expected (the Amsoil 5W-30 ratio - using 3.6! - is an exception above v. the Mobil 1 10W-30...if 3.51 to 3.59 is used, the ratios again only reflect the viscosity spread).

Hi,
Oh Ted - you busy inventing things again?
pat.gif

I thought that you had a real job??

Remember that using the Kurt Kobain formula will only result in death you know! And the Bosche lost a few battles too!!! But I thought your double post was a great idea to get your message across - I would never have thought of that!

Surely with your new trick formula you should be comparing like viscosity ranges not mixing them up!

From earlier;
S2000 0w-30 = 3.3
M1 0w-30 = 3.4

Note the HUGE variance? Should we use more decimal points to really see the difference??

You also forgot;
M1 5w-50 = 3.4

Ted there are so many/too many variables to make your test part of the ACEA protocols but write them anyways. Include your OCI formula too it will be much cheaper than fitting engine sensors

Now if only we can educate every car owner commencing in China, Iraq, Peru, Gundagai or........
Would just one oil in one viscosity do the trick and be easier too Ted?

Ted, your night games might best be "served" sorry, "spiced up", by a cute Japanese friend of mine called Sudoka - you'll need a high IQ though

Your calulator got big figures and keys Ted?

Never mind Teddles, M1 0w-40 regardless of where ever it fits into your equations is poured into about 10000+ new engines every day. When it all runs out, shears out, wears engines out, or the warranty claims become unbearable we'll call you!
Expect the call around 2006 - oh sorry the new formulation M1 will be out by then.....
wink.gif

Now if we introduced the 4 Balls test..........!
Perhaps using this we may just convince Porsche, VW, MB to discontinue their extended viscosity retention test protocols - just a thought Ted

Seriously - thanks to all contributors (well except for Ted confusing things - Al's chasing him) to this thread it has added another dimension of knowledge!
worshippy.gif

Well simply IMHO at least

XX from Sudoka for Teddles!

Regards
cheers.gif

Doug (Shirax, XXXX, VB and Fosters free)

[ June 15, 2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back