Viscosity & CAFE Q&A w Corvette Development Team Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried to look at and understand the MSDS. THAT is best left to our higher level posters. It looks like some high dose moly and esters are involved.

@edyvw
@Cujet
et al

This is what I am trying to get at, as you seem to reference...

With a Corvette, why limit yourself to these SP requirements ?

With street and track usage, why have any sort of "ESP" line thinking ?

I am thinking about protecting this Corvette engine and getting performance out of it, over emmissions and emmission system components.

IDK. There are definitely people who insist on strictest compliance with these labels, SP, DEXOS R and ESP, but these boosted oils would be of great interest, in my book.
Mobil and GM tested this oil for 2 years. That's the reason. Boutique brands, despite all they offer, don't have this level of testing.

"We want to test everything. We don't just want to pass the minimum suite of tests.""We were trying to put together an oil that would just crush all of those tests and well exceed the limits for those, "Salvesen says. "Then we tested Supercar on the track with the race teams to make sure that it's going to hold up to track abuse with higher cylinder temperatures, with higher revs, with higher loading and just the extra abuse that you're going to see on the track. It passed in both cases.""I would say in broad strokes it helps us develop the next generation of Mobil 1," Salvesen says. "So, what you buy in the bottle today at your dealer or at the local store was probably tested on track three to five years ago. Certainly now what the race teams are testing is expected to be the next generation of Mobil 1.""We don't just want to pass the test to get the checkmark, we do what's called ‘Proof of Performance,'" Salvesen says."I think that level of testing, that level of prove-out work is really what we can bring to the table versus most smaller brands."

There was a guy on here that used Red Line in his Vette and each time he switched back to M1 0w40 wear metals dropped. We have to look beyond spec sheet numbers.

Just because one cake has more sugar in it doesn't mean it will taste better than one that doesn't.

@edyvw
@Cujet
et al

This is what I am trying to get at, as you seem to reference...

With a Corvette, why limit yourself to these SP requirements ?

With street and track usage, why have any sort of "ESP" line thinking ?

I am thinking about protecting this Corvette engine and getting performance out of it, over emmissions and emmission system components.

IDK. There are definitely people who insist on strictest compliance with these labels, SP, DEXOS R and ESP, but these boosted oils would be of great interest, in my book.
I personally don’t see anything wrong in running ESP. High HTHS, most stringent approvals. Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2 has HTHS of 3.9cP.

There was a guy on here that used Red Line in his Vette and each time he switched back to M1 0w40 wear metals dropped. We have to look beyond spec sheet numbers.

Just because one cake has more sugar in it doesn't mean it will taste better than one that doesn't.
Redline has generally high wear numbers initially as it is ester based.
If that is person I think it is, best results were using Motul 300V.

Redline has generally high wear numbers initially as it is ester based.
If that is person I think it is, best results were using Motul 300V.
This wasn't just initially although this was after consecutive runs with it. The high ester base in some ways could be a negative with RL. Who knows with Red Line. This is the problem I have with these brands that don't do their own in-house testing or don't get their oils certified.

Red Line practically failed the TEOST test when Amsoil tested it. At least Amsoil gives you IIIH, IVA and GM turbo test results.

Think of what people are saying here:

GM worked with XOM to test Supercar 0w40 for 24 months. But you know better therefore use another oil. :unsure:

"Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 motor oil is the result of almost 24 months of grueling tests and precise engineering."

This wasn't just initially although this was after consecutive runs with it. The high ester base in some ways could be a negative with RL. Who knows with Red Line. This is the problem I have with these brands that don't do their own in-house testing or don't get their oils certified.

Red Line practically failed the TEOST test when Amsoil tested it. At least Amsoil gives you IIIH, IVA and GM turbo test results.
I am not into all those tests deigned as marketing tool.
Also, I think you are giving too much credit to GM and Mobil1. This is not some kind of approval where there are set minimum requirements. I personally think that story how they were developing oil for two years is absolute BS. It looks more like marketing to me than anything else. Not sure why is this oil any better than Mobil1 0W40 FS considering approvals it has.

• Haha
Reactions: 4WD
Loading up an oil with AW doesn't mean anything. I could find you UOA's right now that show SP oils outperforming oils loaded up with AW additives.
There are oils that "go beyond SP. "

They are sophisticated.

They understand competition for surface...what is it...surface bonding.

Fuel efficiency is not the only thing CAFE sticks their nose in there about.

Also, I think you are giving too much credit to GM and Mobil1. This is not some kind of approval where there are set minimum requirements. I personally think that story how they were developing oil for two years is absolute BS. It looks more like marketing to me than anything else. Not sure why is this oil any better than Mobil1 0W40 FS considering approvals it has.
The guy who constantly talks about approvals or lack thereof wants to ignore an oil that was jointly developed by XOM and GM. Good lord. :ROFLMAO:🤦‍♂️

I have been repulsed by wide range grade oils for some time. And that term "Supercar." It's actually rebranded ESP.

Didn't BMW try to mitigate some design issue initially, with 10W60 ?

There are oils that "go beyond SP. "

They are sophisticated.

They understand competition for surface...what is it...surface bonding.

Fuel efficiency is not the only thing CAFE sticks their nose in there about.
You have to pay to play IMO. Run them through testing and prove it.

*I'm not saying Mobil 1 Supercar 0w40 is the BEST oil on the planet or that Mobil 1 is the best brand. I just value testing and they are one brand that gives you that.

The guy who constantly talks about approvals or lack thereof wants to ignore an oil that was jointly developed by XOM and GM. Good lord. :ROFLMAO:🤦‍♂️
What exactly that oil is? What set of minimum requirements it has?
It is GM, they charge Dexos license from oil blenders.

doesn't matter. You harp on specs and meeting them. GM says dexor R Mobil 1 meets. Get a clue.

doesn't matter. You harp on specs and meeting them. GM says dexor R Mobil 1 meets. Get a clue.
That is fine. But two year development is BS. I worked on developing oil for VW504.00/507.00, LL04 and MB229.51 approvals and it doesn’t take nearly as much time.
But, people who have cars that GM wants them to have, must have this tingling feeling around their stomach how it is special.

• Sad
Reactions: 4WD
You're the guy slamming Amsoil and every other brand that doesn't meet a spec, and when GM calls for dexos R you're saying nah. Do you realize your negating 99% of what you say on a daily basis?

1693577435790.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back