VII's - yes, no, a little?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG LINK

Read the thread.

Quote:
Actully, all of them, since fuel dilution will reduce viscosity, the VII's help there, the fuel attempts to soot up the oil, so Detergents/ Dispersants help there, the FM's help the oil maintain lubricity, the antoxidants retard oxidation, etc., etc.

Quote:
quote: molakule, can sheared up VII's also have some FM or AW ability? or are the little pieces worthless at that point? Just fishing for an upside on the VII that seem to get bad rap often around here.

Yes. A tribochemical text on the subject of VII's and Blending has shown that VII's do show some FM and AW qualites.

Some VII's can have dispersant as well as VI improvement compounds contained therein.

VII compounds are much improved over the black-sludge days and are now multifunctional.

Good dig up on this buster, as I remember when I first read that thread, Mola gave quite a bit of information on the subject back then. It would be interesting to see how little, or how many, of the items have changed over the past few years.

It's never black and white with this stuff. JGR/M1/Amsoil all use some small amount of VII's in their racing oils. JGR found some VII's are better than having none. M1R 0w-30 and 0w-40 use some VII's. Amsoil as well. Mobil/Amsoil MC oils use none. RL none.
coffee2.gif

Amazing. Only two responses to this thread. I guess everyone just buys into an idea and thats the end of it.
shocked2.gif
I guess the new fad is straight grades. LOL.

Originally Posted By: buster
Amazing. Only two responses to this thread. I guess everyone just buys into an idea and thats the end of it.
shocked2.gif

Its just not that important to me. Dino oil, 5K OCI's have served me and all my high mileage cars very well. The vast majority of companies use them. Don't see any reason to be particularly leary of them.

:???:

Originally Posted By: levi
Originally Posted By: buster
shocked2.gif

Its just not that important to me. Dino oil, 5K OCI's have served me and all my high mileage cars very well. The vast majority of companies use them. Don't see any reason to be particularly leary of them.

:???:

I hear ya. My point was we just assumed that no VII's are always better but not all think that way. I agree that little/none are most ideal and that with today's oils/engines it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back