Victory is going racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

And I said they had a monopoly on the "Buy American" crowd, as there were no other large scale American motorcycle producers for over 40 years.

and part of that was .... AMF

need i say more?

Harley is making three bikes under 900cc now...guess we will have to discredit all of those bikes sales too. So no counting the new small revolution engines or the old Evo 883.

And that link to 300 million did not include lawnmowers and jetskis.

Harley quit playing around with small bikes because they were junk Aeromacchi bikes rebadged. Harley did not even make them. The genuine attempts at small Harleys was equally disastrous.

BTW...around here there are MANY metric bike dealers only selling one brand of motorcycle. How about you just stop bashing other brands who do very well domestically and internationally? Are you so insecure in your own brand choice you have to tear down every other make to feel superior?

I'm sure alot sell only one brand of motorcycle. Their Sales of lawnmower's and snowmobile's keep the lights on. I don't bash any brand where their owners don't get carried away with how great they think they are compared to Harly. You metric bike owners sure get your panties in a wad when you get spanked by history and the truth.And you do have to discredit bike sales in the under 900 cc category ,otherwise your comparing banana's to coconuts. Here's a bit of history I bet you didn't know, The Harley Sportster has been in in production since 1957. How many of those do you think were sold compared to the entire victory line? You can try to twist motorcycle history all you want but one thing is clear, More people want Harley's then want metric wanna be bikes. Or even Victory's for that matter.You can call them metric if you want I just call them ugly and souless.,,

Originally Posted By: sunruh
who else has been to the kawaski plant in lincoln, nebraska?
is that in the usa?
assembled in America with Japanese parts don't make it an American anything. Follow the money trail to see where it's lineage comes from.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
assembled in America with Japanese parts don't make it an American anything. Follow the money trail to see where it's lineage comes from.,,

Funny you call Harley American then.
35.gif

Let us not forget the massive advantage the Asian makers had because of the strong dollar decades ago part of the rational for tariffs, I think. But, all in the past, Current sales figures show Harley won. Help from the government or not. Don't think for a minute Asian makers got no help in the export business from Japan and most of all it was the Americans after the war that rebuilt their economy but again, all in the past.

Last edited:
I got nothing against HD and wouldn't mind owning an RK or Dyna Fat Bob, but what I don't get is why some folks seem to think that the air cooled V-twin is the only engine for "real" motorcycles. Really? As a species we've got a space station in orbit staffed with humans all the time, we've got an interactive rover on Mars, and we've landed a probe on an asteroid traveling like 100,000mph or something. But the only real bikes are ones with air cooled v-twin. I don't get it. Heck, I'd like to have a Zero brand 'lectric motorcycle to mess around with around town. If I was into serious highway miles and touring I'd probably have a Harley Road King because I think they're good at it, last a long time, and I like the minimalist look better than the fully fared Glides and such. But why all the close mindedness? Every bike has certain strong points and certain weak points. I'm not into Asian brands and wouldn't own one, but that's not because they're necessarily bad machines, I guess to paraphrase another poster I feel like they're a bit w/o soul or a rich history. Guess everyone likes what they like. I tend to like Euro bikes like Triumph, BMW, Ducati. For some reason Guzzi and Aprilia don;t do anything for me... MV Augusta either. Oh well, ride what you like, that's all that really matters.

P.S. Most HD guys and gals wave as do most metric riders when I'm out and about, so I don't think there's as much rivalry as is made out to be sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792

35.gif

Yep...most Harleys do not legally qualify to be labeled "Made in the USA" due because the foreign parts count is greater than the domestic parts count. Usually makers skirt this by putting "Assembled in America/USA". Makes the people think its all American made.

And yes...harley called off the tariffs...but without them in the first place the company would likely be dead. It staved off the foreign makers just long enough for them to roll out the much improved Evo machines so customers would not feel ripped off by the old shovels and ironheads.

And again...there are dealers in my area that only sell HONDA motorcycles. No lawnmowers or other product lines. Just HONDA motorcycles.

Last edited:
I've owned two Hondas, three Yamahas, one Kawasaki, one Suzuki, and two Harleys. ALL were great bikes. Uh...yeah, the reason for the tariff was to save Harley. The tariff did no harm to the Nippon bike manufacturers and saved Harley. I'm OK with that. My local Honda motorcycle dealer sells ONLY Honda motorcycles. And can anyone give the ratio of foreign vs domestic parts in a Harley? I'm skeptical the majority is foreign, but IDK.

Originally Posted By: benjy
other than the name pro stock cars + bikes are anything but! i own a great 2013 Victory Hammer + when a kid says nice hardly i cringe, i traded my inferior hardly for the superior IMO Victory. but its good for publicity as long as matt does better than last week! same stuff under the body but with more $$$ he may do better. the wizardry of Vance + Hines + unlimited $$$$$$$$ from hardly is hard to beat. read a neat article years ago when hardly decided to race they gave Byrom Hines an OPEN checkbook to build a bike + engine from scratch!! Byron has worked for Ferrari as well, a VERY smart man + big $$$$$ = success. NHRA did allow bigger engine so they could compete with the screamin in line 4 cylinders + be in the game, but tries to control the competition with continual rule changes. the AHDRA will NOT allow in line 4's race the top fuel hardleys because they are TOO FAST!!!!!
I don't watch NASCAR "professional car fighting" either.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Harley also voluntarily withdrew the tariffs before the 5 year deadline, and paid off the loan with interest early. And aren't we glad they got the tariff enforced and returned an American company back to profitability?
CONGRESS imposes and "withdraws" tarifs.

I've owned two Hondas, three Yamahas, one Kawasaki, one Suzuki, and two Harleys. ALL were great bikes. Uh...yeah, the reason for the tariff was to save Harley. The tariff did no harm to the Nippon bike manufacturers and saved Harley. I'm OK with that. My local Honda motorcycle dealer sells ONLY Honda motorcycles. And can anyone give the ratio of foreign vs domestic parts in a Harley? I'm skeptical the majority is foreign, but IDK.

Foreign parts count varies by year and model. I hear on the low side some are around 30 percent with some around 60 percent. Harley, like many makers changes around their parts suppliers as they are always looking for a better deal to up profit margin. They did get embarrassed in the news a year or so back when people noticed some Harley parts marked "Made in the USA" on the packaging contained parts stamped "CHINA" on them. Perhaps a mistake...but perhaps not. I don't know.

We live in a global economy and the best way to check if you are in the market is to look for "Made in the USA". If it says anything else...you can bet it has a majority of foreign parts.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792

35.gif

Yep...most Harleys do not legally qualify to be labeled "Made in the USA" due because the foreign parts count is greater than the domestic parts count. Usually makers skirt this by putting "Assembled in America/USA". Makes the people think its all American made.

And yes...harley called off the tariffs...but without them in the first place the company would likely be dead. It staved off the foreign makers just long enough for them to roll out the much improved Evo machines so customers would not feel ripped off by the old shovels and ironheads.

And again...there are dealers in my area that only sell HONDA motorcycles. No lawnmowers or other product lines. Just HONDA motorcycles.

THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE! YOU ARE WRONG. SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT WANTED THIS TO STAND OUT. (NOT YELLING*L*)

I wanted to make the above point for all to see, your statement is wrong. before posting I was tempted to take a photo of my 14 roadking, labeled "UNION MADE IN THE USA"
Anyone who thinks otherwise, walk into a HARLEY dealer (you may enjoy it) and look at the plates on the motorcycles and will see the same thing.

(not that I care where its made, the Harley is a superior bike, thats what matters to me, just wanted to correct the mistake you made, yes, it is cool that Harley is a REAL American company though, I know a lot of people dont care and I honestly only buy the best value for my dollar and that is why I bought the Road King and feel kind of cool I have an American made bike that people in other countries can only dream about, America better wake up as we are on one of the biggest declines in history)

Last edited:
CONGRESS imposes and "withdraws" tarifs

Harley went to the FTC and requested an end to the tariff. However it happened, Harley initiated the suspension of the tariff and congress granted it.

CONGRESS imposes and "withdraws" tarifs

Harley went to the FTC and requested an end to the tariff. However it happened, Harley initiated the suspension of the tariff and congress granted it.
You mean Howley told their lobbyists they had no objection to the removal of it.

Harley didn't just build one bike as a proto type. They actually are positioning themselves to mass produce it. That's the big difference. They can send a truck full of them around the country for people to test ride. What other company has done that?

You made the claim that Victory racing an electric bike was copying Harley. I asked how. Answer the question and stop distracting us with nonsense. Harley wasn't the first electric bike builder. Did you know Polaris owns Brammo? It's mass produced. Did you know Polaris also makes electric bicycles?

And if you notice they don't really advertise that much, and have pretty good sales of heavy weight motorcycles.

Are you blind? I see tons of TV and print ads for their "United by Independents" ad. Do some research. Also, that truck full of electric bikes you mentioned is marketing...........

I don't bash any brand where their owners don't get carried away with how great they think they are compared to Harly.

This thread stated that Victory was going racing. No claims beyond that were made, and you bashed them. Stop contradicting yourself.

OK Francis cool your jets. You sure get upset when you don't have anything useful to post. Victory has only been on the face of the planet since 1997.And they have been trying to copy Harley's design since then. Tough if you don't believe, or can't see that. A truck load of electric bikes is marketing. What do think they're gonna give them away?.Is your definition of "bashing" anyone with a different then yours?. Maybe it's time for you to switch to decaf.,,

OK Francis cool your jets. You sure get upset when you don't have anything useful to post.

Name calling and attacking me and you say I don't have anything useful to post in a post I started to share useful info...... Hypocritical much?

Victory has only been on the face of the planet since 1997.And they have been trying to copy Harley's design since then. Tough if you don't believe, or can't see that.

Who's arguing this point? I'll ask the question again. How is Victory racing an electric bike at The Isle of Man copying Harley?

Is your definition of "bashing" anyone with a different then yours?. Maybe it's time for you to switch to decaf.,,

My idea of bashing is an uninformed person making ignorant statements about things they clearly know nothing about.

Did you take your medicine today? Tell me something, is this the most important thing in the world to you? For someone that has never met or talked with me you sure have formed a negative opinion of me. You never did say, what type of polaris do you own?It must be the swellest bike ever.,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back