very low,intermittent connection on laptop..

Status
Not open for further replies.
hp ze4100,xp home. A few weeks ago, i was able to connect wirelessly with a pcmia? card very well. Now, my kid might of messed with some settings.Now, it takes a long time to even connect and when it does,it disconects after one or 2 webpages,then i got to wait another 10 minutes before it connects again. what settings can i check to see why it doesn't connect well?

Too much time looking at dirtys
31.gif

This may do the trick:

Navigate to the Command Prompt [Start>>RUN>>CMD]

Type the following and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns

Wait ~15 seconds for a message to appear saying that all went well

Type the following and press enter: ipconfig /renew

[For other options type "ipconfig /?" and press Enter]

Once the prompt returns type "exit" press Enter and reboot

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
This may do the trick:

[For other options type "ipconfig /?" and press Enter]

Once the prompt returns type "exit" press Enter and reboot

Doed this do a "reset" for the wireless connection?

It does sometimes state that it could not get an ip address assigned from the network,or something like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
hp ze4100,xp home. A few weeks ago, i was able to connect wirelessly with a pcmia? card very well. Now, my kid might of messed with some settings.Now, it takes a long time to even connect and when it does,it disconects after one or 2 webpages,then i got to wait another 10 minutes before it connects again. what settings can i check to see why it doesn't connect well?

First step:

Try power cycling the router by disconnecting/reconnecting the router.

I forgot to mention that this occurs when at hotels.I have even moved the comp to where the signal source is close to and the same thing.When at home i just use my desktop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
This may do the trick:

Once i hit enter after renew, it says that it cannot renew because of some hardware disconnected.I use netstumbler to find out what around ,and it shows 3 or 4 open networks sometimes.

OK, so it's an issue with your laptop's card settings... first thing to try would be to go into its properties and TCP/IP settings and make sure that the following options are checked (selected):

"Obtain an IP address automatically"

"Obtain DNS server address automatically"

Then try reconnecting again.

I have noticed under wireless zero under xp services,that it alternates between start and stop sometimes.Should i try to get a better external antenna?

Last edited:
I had the same issues and after taking the following steps my wireless is rock steady and fast -

- Change Channel to the least common channel in your wifi area. For me it was Ch.1. The most common is Ch.6

- Set both router and wireless card to use only the highest possible network type (G or N).

- Change power management plan of the wireless card to "no power management" or "highest performance". This helped a lot.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
I had the same issues and after taking the following steps my wireless is rock steady and fast -

- Change Channel to the least common channel in your wifi area. For me it was Ch.1. The most common is Ch.6

- Set both router and wireless card to use only the highest possible network type (G or N).

Since he's at a hotel, I doubt he has the ability to change how the hotel's wireless router operates.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OK, so it's an issue with your laptop's card settings... first thing to try would be to go into its properties and TCP/IP settings and make sure that the following options are checked (selected):

"Obtain an IP address automatically"

"Obtain DNS server address automatically"

Then try reconnecting again.
How do i go into the laptop's card settings?

How do i go into the laptop's card settings?

Go into Control Panel and click on "Network Connections".

A new window with all network connections will show up. Find the one that has "Wireless" in its name, right-click on it and choose "Properties".

In there, you will find a "General" tab. On this tab, there is an item called "Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]. Click on it once, and then click the "Properties" button.

and same for adjusting the power management of the card except after "properties", you click on the "Configure" button besides the card/adapter name.

It sounds like he may have reduced the card's TX/RX power to the lowest setting.

The location is listed in the post above mine.

I have 2, one that says "wireless connection 3" and one that says "wireless connection 4".There's also one that says "1394 connection" Do i need all of these?

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
and same for adjusting the power management of the card except after "properties", you click on the "Configure" button besides the card/adapter name.
So how do you adjust the power on it?

I have 2, one that says "wireless connection 3" and one that says "wireless connection 4".There's also one that says "1394 connection" Do i need all of these?

Check 3 and 4. It sounds like your laptop ALSO has built-in wireless?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back