Very few ULV choices

Considering the amount of vehicles using ULV between Ford and GM, you'd think there would be more of a market. Motorcraft, Valvoline, Klondike (?), Ravenol (lower vis at 3.3 than the Ford 4.8) put out products. Other companies say ULV, but still are in the LV range, not ULV.

Redline says there has only been talk about a possible future product and Amsoil replied with recommending their fuel efficient series...6.3 vis.

Thoughts?

Yeah don’t mix the viscosities - the ford transmission did not like LV. I think I found a valvoline ULV which worked properly. I’d tried amsoil to address a ford problem, and their fluid is still LV. It was not a good match at all.

id expect more options in a few years.

Yeah don’t mix the viscosities - the ford transmission did not like LV. I think I found a valvoline ULV which worked properly. I’d tried amsoil to address a ford problem, and their fluid is still LV. It was not a good match at all.

id expect more options in a few years.
I think I read your post from 4+ years ago about you trying Amsoil LV.

So you've had no issues with the Valvoline ULV?

I haven't had any issues with the 1 D&F I did with the Valvoline, other than it is creeping up on $12 a quart, which makes me want to just stick with the relatively 'cheap' Motorcraft.

I too wish there were some more competition in that market, surely in the next couple of years as the 10R80 and 10L90 start creeping up in miles and need rebuilds/services.

Edit - The Ravenol I wouldn't consider a replacement for it. Unless they update their page, it is prescribed for a bunch of euro transmissions and the like.

I compiled all the ULV offerings in that thread at the time.

Last edited:
Seeing the amount of F150s in commercial fleet service as well as the hordes of Explorers/Expeditions/Navigators and Escalade/Suburban/Tahoe/Yukons at the rental car companies and in livery fleets, I’m surprised Valvoline hasn’t made a MaxLife ULV for these.

Seeing the amount of F150s in commercial fleet service as well as the hordes of Explorers/Expeditions/Navigators and Escalade/Suburban/Tahoe/Yukons at the rental car companies and in livery fleets, I’m surprised Valvoline hasn’t made a MaxLife ULV for these.
Probably lucky that they have one for them at all. Seems like every year there's a new fluid for the aftermarket to deal with. They're probably getting tired of blending something new every time they turn around.

But, on the other hand, the GM/Ford market for the ULV has got to be huge, or rather will be once they start being common rebuilds.

Slowly getting more options. That Klondike fluid that 4X4 mentioned is at least one more added to the list (Currently at 4). You'd think Amsoil would join the party at some point. Time will tell I reckon.

Probably lucky that they have one for them at all. Seems like every year there's a new fluid for the aftermarket to deal with. They're probably getting tired of blending something new every time they turn around.

But, on the other hand, the GM/Ford market for the ULV has got to be huge, or rather will be once they start being common rebuilds.

Slowly getting more options. That Klondike fluid that 4X4 mentioned is at least one more added to the list (Currently at 4). You'd think Amsoil would join the party at some point. Time will tell I reckon.
Rumor has it the new Toyota RWD hybrid drive unit with a 4-speed automatic that’s Lexus-only at the moment(but may be used on the new Tundra/Sequoia) uses a ULV fluid that’s even thinner than ATF-WS. Maybe that might stoke a fire under Valvoline and Afton/Lubrizol to formulate MaxLife ULV.

How many transmissions using ULV are old enough to need a fluid change? :unsure:

Most of them are still too new and not enough miles to need new fluid. Once more of them are on the road with more miles, you will see more ULV options.

Thoughts on using the Valvoline Synthetic for Toyota WS & Ford ULV? It would be nice to be able to just use one fluid for both applications.

Thoughts on using the Valvoline Synthetic for Toyota WS & Ford ULV? It would be nice to be able to just use one fluid for both applications.
Can't speak for the Toyota, but at this time, use ULV in a ULV vehicle. Don't mess around with substituting anything in them. The 10 speed transmissions they use ULV in seem to be pretty sensitive to viscosity and you don't want anything thicker in them.

Back