very dangerous tire bounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 dodge ram 1500 4 x 4 shorrtt wheel base extended cab 150000 miles. Every now and then if you hit a pot hole or a successive set of rough pavement the left from wheel feels like like it is bouncing like a basketball. I was on the interstate the other day and had hit a number of bumps and no problem, but all of a sudden a hit a bump and the left front wheel started to bounce at 70 miles per hour, very scarey. As sonn as hit the brake it stopped. What could it be? Bad shock or something more sinister and costly.

If the truck has the original shocks or even if the have been replaced, it may be time for new shocks. Take a look and see if it is leaking or bent. Could also inspect for play in the ball joints and wheel bearings, and see that the A-arm bushings and the springs are not damaged. Sounds like something under there is out of whack or got broken somehow.

It's called death wobble. It applies to all 2nd gen dodge rams. Check all your front suspension components for loose stuff. Look under there while someone rocks the steering wheel. The track bar is the first place I'd start. They're usually the cause of this. Then, get your alignment done correctly. Check out this link for the proper alignment. I'm not sure if your 1500 is exactly the same but may be.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=194839&highlight=ball+joints

Thanks. I will check the things you guys suggested. It does not do often, just every now and then. It is not a shimmy. The steering does not shimmy or wobble. It is literally like it starts bouncing like a basketball.

This thread triggers a memory, where some 15 years ago one of the tv news magazine programs featured an exposé on this inherent problem that existed on the design of a light truck. I can't remember the model though.

At that age it is probably going to be a little bit of everything rather than one specific part. On a truck 4x4 usually it is a little slop in the bushings, ball joints and tie-rods combined with limp shocks and dampers all adding up together to enough play to cause trouble. You may have to give wear item in the front suspension a refresh to completely cure this problem.

Calvin

Just a heads up, might want to check your wheel hubs also. Jack it up, grap top and bottom and see if you can get any movement. If so, change them. Last thing you want to see is your left wheel drifting away from you on the road.

Believe it or not, this condition can be reduced or eliminated by having tires with good stiff sidewalls and more importantly, proper tire inflation. On diesels we're talking 60-70 psi.

Strange you should mention tire pressure. I just got this truck to use around the house. Not a dailey driver and will not be used for long trips. After the incident happened I checked the tire pressure. It was 28. I inflated to 32. The doorjamb of the truck says 41 or 42. The tires says max Psi 35. What should it be?

Originally Posted By: vance1
Strange you should mention tire pressure. I just got this truck to use around the house. Not a dailey driver and will not be used for long trips. After the incident happened I checked the tire pressure. It was 28. I inflated to 32. The doorjamb of the truck says 41 or 42. The tires says max Psi 35. What should it be?

It means you probably have the wrong tires on the truck
wink.gif

For what it's worth, I have a 3/4 ton 2003 Ram at work that has had this "death" thingy since new. I always thought it was from an overly stiff suspension.

Every now and then I hit a bump or pot hole (not large at all) and I just about will loose steering control for a second or two. Very frightening, like being on ice. The tire seems to just bounce without any traction. Momentum keeps it going straight and it recovers quickly.

Safety inspections reveal no bad front end parts. Maybe just a design flaw?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
For what it's worth, I have a 3/4 ton 2003 Ram at work that has had this "death" thingy since new. I always thought it was from an overly stiff suspension.

Every now and then I hit a bump or pot hole (not large at all) and I just about will loose steering control for a second or two. Very frightening, like being on ice. The tire seems to just bounce without any traction. Momentum keeps it going straight and it recovers quickly.

What you describe isn't the death wobble, it's really-big-truck wobble. Death wobble is when the suspension continues to dance and doesn't ever recover on its own unless you slow to a crawl first.

Originally Posted By: vance1
... The doorjamb of the truck says 41 or 42. The tires says max Psi 35. What should it be?

You got the wrong tires for the truck. For now, you should not have more than 35 psi as it is the max pressure for the tires. Next tires should have max pressure of 44 or higher.

The tires were on the truck when I bought it. I got it just to have a truck around the house. I replaced the front shocks, they were shot. This really improved handeling. Will replace rear shocks soon. First I will replace stabalizer shock. I have not had the tire bouce like it did on the interstate, although I have not been back on the interstate. I jacked up the front wheels and tried to shake and jiggle them and there is no movement at all. Would the tired being a different size cause this?

41 PSI is "XL" (extra load) tire, halfway between P and LT. My F150 took these (235/75/15) and I found a used pair for $40.

Do it right or get off the road. You have poor equipment and are looking around the internet for people to tell you it's okay not to spend money on this. It doesn't matter if it's just around the house, you're driving 70 MPH. Most accidents happen <25 miles from home, yadda yadda.

I am not looking around the internet trying to find somebody to tell me it is o.k. I am asking would the tires cause this problem. I understand the tires are not the tires specified on the door jamb. I am no tire expert and that is why I am asking if it could be the tire that is causing the problem. Once again I just bought the truck and I did not put these tires on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back