Venus and Jupiter conjunction from our front yard.

Venus is the brighter and appears bigger because it is much closer. Easily visible with the naked eye; a cell camera can zoom in. These are from my Google Pixel which has a great camera. 20x zoom. Gotta get my telescope set up! I undersdand a good scope can see Jupiter's 4 moons!
Venus is only 127M miles away right now; Jupiter is a mere 537M miles away. I feel so small right now....
PXL_20230302_023818339.jpg
PXL_20230302_024018617.jpg

Last edited:
How can you tell what they are? Looks just like points of light.
Stars look like points of light. The planets don't look like points but like discs, at least with good eyesight. If you look at stars with binoculars or with a telescope they don't appear increasingly larger with magnification like planets do.

Last edited:
Well, there's nothing else out there right now, and astrology tracks this stuff.
Either that or they are aliens here for Elon?

Perhaps Google it. You'll see. I find it centers me; gives me a little perspective.
Astronomy tracks this stuff.

Astrology is about horoscopes. You know, pseudoscience…

I saw them Monday evening I think without my telescope. I figured it was some planets and not Neverland. Lol

How can you tell what they are? Looks just like points of light.
The stars appear to us in a pattern, that we’ve organized into constellations*. Familiar names like Orion, or Aquarius. Though the patterns appear to transverse the sky as the Earth rotates, they remain (relatively) fixed in relation to each other. Stars are incredibly far away, and move so slowly that they appear static to us. Over a period of several thousand years, changes can be seen, but for us, in our lifetimes, they’re fixed.

The planets exist in our solar system. They orbit the sun, just as Earth does, so their orbital motion is visible to us as gradual changes in position against the background of the far more distant stars.

If you know the constellations, you know the background, against which there are wandering points of light - planets, from the Greek word for wanderer - which move across the background pattern of constellations.

A planet is easy to see, because it’s bright, and it’s in a place, against the background, where there wasn’t anything bright a month or two ago.

But you have to know what the background looks like. And you have to look up at the sky to notice the changes.

*Constellations were named and identified in the early days of civilization - mostly after mythological figures, and knowing the stars helped ancient peoples define the calendar. There are 13 Constellations in the Zodiac, in the plane of rotation of the Earth, and for roughly each month of the year, a different constellation is seen in the East, just before the sun rises.

Aquarius, for example, the bringer of water, was associated with rainy season. The “dog days of summer” were named because they were hot, and you knew those days were here because Sirius, the dog of Orion, is a very bright star, easily seen, was just starting to rise in the East, right before sunrise. That event also corresponded with the seasonal flooding of the Nile.

My personal favorite - Orion - when seen in the East in the evening, means it’s fall.

Astrologers co-opted the constellations to and their positions to be able to predict the future and other gobbledygook. Ancient names and real objects, but applied to jumbo-jumbo and hogwash.

Ancient Astronomers were very valuable as they kept the calendar, knowing when it was time to plant, time to harvest, when the rainy season would begin.

Last edited:
Totally visible. We have a cheap telescope. It worked great and we were able to see some texture on the planets. Pretty nerdy and cool!

You know, pseudoscience…
Heavens (pun intended), astrology isn't even pseudoscience. It's entertaining folklore at best.

Why my stay in Purgatory will be shortened, you ask?:
Because I'm paying it forward.
Every time I look skyward and mention anything, a clutch of imbeciles saying, "I don't see it.....where, where", magically appears.

Now I have that 5th Dimension song The age of Aquarius stuck in my head ! :)

But you are correct with the point that Astrology does track planet positions ... I think ...
It does track the planets, and it uses your birthday to derive your “sign”.

From which it derives a bunch of specious garbage - like predictions about the future, generalizations about your personality, and influences on human affairs by observable celestial objects.

It is similar to psychics, tarot card reading, palm reading and other traps for weak minds.

Astronomy is a branch of science. Nothing in common besides the use of the Greek root for “Star” in the name.

The darn clouds rolled in one hour prior to sunset and no clearing for several days.....☹️ Thanks for the pictures.

Back