Vehicles with American contends are shrinking !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, Toyota might not have the same number of employees as GM or Ford, but how many laborers got replaced with machines?

Anyway, 2 of my dad's best cars were made in the USA, a 1992 Nissan Sentra and a 1995 Honda Accord.

My grandmother owned a 2003 and 2009 Chrysler T&C van. I know the first one was build in Canada, but I don't know where the second one came from. I told her that the Toyota Sienna was the only van worth owning, and that was made in the USA. She said she had to have an American name and emblem on the car.

Also, if a company wants to brag about buying from US-based companies, they should put Goodyear tires on everything. It is the one item that a car that amateurs can see.

Maybe American car companies should have made a compromise. During the 80s and much of the 90s, GM/ACdelco alternators really sucked, but Denso and Bosch alternators usually lasted far longer.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
KrisZ's list includes parts made in Canada. Cars.com only list cars with at least 75% American parts, Canadian parts are counted as foreign parts.

Of the 8 cars in Cars.com list, 3 GM cars are below 5 Toyota and Honda in term of American parts.

If you think Canada is an United State province or state, then KrisZ's list is correct, but as of now Canada is a sovereign country.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The data I posted shows the actual values and one can judge for themselves how big are the gaps between the automakers. Cars.com only tells us that in order to make the list the content has to be 75%, that's it. Incidentally Camry is at 75% from the data I posted. So are they all at 75% and Cars.com just picked a winner out of a hat? If not, I want to see the actual numbers.

Originally Posted By: Cars.com
Cars.com's American-Made Index looks at cars on a model-by-model basis, not by manufacturer. It recognizes cars that are assembled here, using a high percentage of domestic parts, and which are bought in large numbers by American consumers.

The Camry isn't the top car if you take an alternative approach to the AMI. For several years, we've also published what the results would be if the AMI used production numbers instead of sales figures as a barometer of assembly-line employment.

Cars.com use another number to calculate the ranking, either the sale numbers or the production numbers. Why they use these numbers ? I don't know.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I believe the 4Runner is the only Japanese made Toyota sold in the US market, which I have no issues with.

There are no Scions and very few, if any Lexus made in USA.

I was strictly referring to Toyotas since those were used in my original example. I have no idea about Lexus and Scion.

Upon further investigation, the Highlander is also Japanese as is the Pruis mentioned above. No idea on the Land Cruiser since the link I found made no mention of it.

Cars.com use another number to calculate the ranking, either the sale numbers or the production numbers. Why they use these numbers ? I don't know.

I want to see the numbers, not an explanation that they use different numbers, which BTW I already read on their website. Sales numbers should not even be in the picture, unless one wants to really pick their own winners with an agenda behind it.

Use some thinking skills here. All the "winners" in Cars.com list are on the top of the list I posted, a shocking coincidence. They all either have 80% or 75% content. These are industry calculated values and Cars.com certainly isn't doing their own investigation and calculations. At least that's the logical assumption since no actual values are posted by them.
So, since their winner, Toyota camry, is at 75% all others, even with 80% must be also 75% for purely US content. How then did they pick number 1,2,3,etc.? Please explain.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I want to see the numbers, not an explanation that they use different numbers, which BTW I already read on their website. Sales numbers should not even be in the picture, unless one wants to really pick their own winners with an agenda behind it.

Use some thinking skills here. All the "winners" in Cars.com list are on the top of the list I posted, a shocking coincidence. They all either have 80% or 75% content. These are industry calculated values and Cars.com certainly isn't doing their own investigation and calculations. At least that's the logical assumption since no actual values are posted by them.
So, since their winner, Toyota camry, is at 75% all others, even with 80% must be also 75% for purely US content. How then did they pick number 1,2,3,etc.? Please explain.

You read the same article as I read. I said I don't know why Cars.com use either number sale and/or production to rank which is number 1 and 2 and ...

The main difference between Cars.com and your list(it is a standard list on car's window sticker) is your list counts Canadian parts as North America parts and manufacture/assembly in Canada is counted as North America. Cars.com only count US parts, and Canada isn't a province or a state of US.

If you don't agree with Cars.com list then ignore it.

Since you obviously don't get it, I'm gonna say it as plainly as I can. All eight cars on the Cars.com list have 75% US content. There is no winner here. Their list is nothing but a deliberate sham to confuse consumers and give a false sense of being objective. It's not about me not liking their data, since there is none published, I simply want to point out the obvious bias for those that are interested in facts and not just the headlines.

I find it very disturbing that you don't scratch the surface an deeper, since you proclaim all the time how pro-American you are.

I don't see where they list US part contend of those 8 vehicles, I only know they said 75% is the minimum, I don't see anywhere in the article they said all were 75%. They also said the sale volume was taken into calculation for the ranking by some formula, and I don't know which formula they use.

The main reason I posted this is it was "30 cars were eligible back in 2010" and it is only 8 now."

Why do you take another list that includes cars and parts from Canada into this thread ? Don't you understand what this means "Cars.com's American-Made Index, which tracks cars that are assembled in the US, with a high percentage of US-sourced parts and a high number of US sales" ? When did US mean North America ?

And what is this title "Vehicles with American contends are shrinking" mean to you ? Did I had "North American" in the title ?

Before you slam me for anything, you need to spend some time to read carefully and understand the difference between America and North America, and US and North America are not the same country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back