Valvoline 5w40 Euro - '17 BMW M3, 4000mi oci

I would start looking for a more robust oil, especially since you track the car. I run Ravenol VMP 5W30 in my '18 M240i. It's a true synthetic oil (group 4 base stock). Look for the VOA and UOA of this oil.
So you want me to run c30/ll-04 in this car with the situation at hand with North American fuels and a lot of dilution? lol. If anything this is a use case to why engines that led up to the S55 development should be running any decently priced 0/5w40 LL-01 certified oil off the shelf instead of later spec'd CAFE oil unless you're really worried about your emission equipment. The specs are very stout for LL-01/A40 and overkill for most, yet a tougher application like this at the correct interval is performing. Mind you..... at $25.98 a 5qt jug too vs the boutique options. I just purchased 3 OCIs of 5qt 5w40 Valvoline at $19.98, so this comparison will continue with Polaris Lab reports in the future with new M1 0w40 in the winters.

I think his car/tune/driving beat on the oil a bit, however, I bet there is way more fuel in there than reported from BS. .5% open cup is more like 3-5% closed cup. Not absolutely certain, but believe BS extrapolates fuel based on flash. Thats more likely the main culprit for the diminished visc.

I think his car/tune/driving beat on the oil a bit, however, I bet there is way more fuel in there than reported from BS. .5% open cup is more like 3-5% closed cup. Not absolutely certain, but believe BS extrapolates fuel based on flash. Thats more likely the main culprit for the diminished visc.

Absolutely, in my previous tuned Kia Stinger, which was driven kind of hard, but not particularly abused I would see a lot of fuel dilution as well. I was using WMI, which did not help too much either, lol. I also targeted 3500 - 4k OCI’s / 5w-40.

I find this statement odd as well, maybe he is thinking the ethanol in US fuel contributes to more dilution?
At one time we had higher sulfur fuels than Europe which necessitated higher SAPS oils...but that's long gone and why the Euro oils recommended now are lower SAPS.

So you want me to run c30/ll-04 in this car with the situation at hand with North American fuels and a lot of dilution? lol. If anything this is a use case to why engines that led up to the S55 development should be running any decently priced 0/5w40 LL-01 certified oil off the shelf instead of later spec'd CAFE oil unless you're really worried about your emission equipment. The specs are very stout for LL-01/A40 and overkill for most, yet a tougher application like this at the correct interval is performing. Mind you..... at $25.98 a 5qt jug too vs the boutique options. I just purchased 3 OCIs of 5qt 5w40 Valvoline at $19.98, so this comparison will continue with Polaris Lab reports in the future with new M1 0w40 in the winters.
Just a FYI, LL04 is not a CAFE spec oil as it has the same minimum HTHS requirement of LL01 so it can be found in 40 grade. LL04 is for use with ULSG/ULSD.

Back