UV dye harmful ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to bring in my 07 Silverado for a oil leak. The service dept. used the UV dye to locate the leak. I had just changed my oil about a month ago with Amsoil SSO 0w-30, so I do not really want to do another oil change. Is is safe to leave the existing oil in the engine with the dye?

It is only 1/4 of a ounce normally.

I would not think it would hurt but would not want to do a extended OCI with it. When we used it the max we ran it was 500 miles then changed oil.

The dye stays in the engine for a long time BTW. Take a UV light to the engine and next few OCi and you could still see traces of the dye.

In A/C units, it stayed it there. But not as severe as a engine.

Take care, bill

Bill-

How about with a transmission?

Chevy dealer added it to my transmission, when they were too stupid to figure out that the pan gasket was leaking.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
UV leak detector dye will not reduce lubricant effectiveness.

Good enough! From the voice that I trust on such issues...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Bill-

How about with a transmission?

Chevy dealer added it to my transmission, when they were too stupid to figure out that the pan gasket was leaking.

Would not worry about it then.

(sorry about the delay in responding, the board is not sending out updates to threads that you flag...)

Bill

Thanks for the reply. I feel better knowing that I am not doing any damage to my motor leaving the dye in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back