Using synth gear oil in an Impreza... noise/chatter reduction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a relatively new WRX (3800mi) that I put synthetic in at 1600mi (the Mobil 1 still looks yellow when I check the oil). The engine is quiet enough, but the chatter and vibration in the tranny is really starting to annoy. I want to go with Mobil 1 75W-90 in the manual/front dif and in the rear diff. Would I be overly optimistic to expect there to be a calming of the tranny?

Are you speaking specifically about the clutch or shifting action?

M1 has been known to be too slick for the brass synchros on Subaru's. The most common problem that comes up is grinding gears.

The '02 WRX's have a known issue of clutch judder and a TSB was issued. Since you have a new WRX, I don't think it's the same judder/shudder but I guess it's possible.

I used Amsoil gear lube (not Series 2000)in my Outback Sport for 3 years and never had a problem. I'll soon be putting it in my Forester XT.

You can search nasioc.com for more gear oil experiences, and you will find hundreds.
smile.gif

edit: I see that you're on nasioc and someone did recommend M1 to you. The following is from an old STi mailing list and was posted by RalliSpec:

"The only difference between Mobil1 synthetic gear lube and Mobil SHC (also synthetic) is the lack of friction modifiers in Mobil SHC (preferred for Subaru tranny).

Mobil SHC from what I understand is an industrial product and thus packaged for industry and not easily obtainable. We carry this fluid but get in 5-gal containers direct from the distributor...
...RalliSpec"

-Dennis

[ April 06, 2004, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: bluesubie ]

Thanks for the input. See, what bugs me is that if someone read their manual, and got exactly what the manual said (75W-90) from the store--like Mobil 1 Synth, then they could still have problems. There needs to be more info!!!

You will have problems if you use Mobil 1 75W-90. I had it in my 2.5RS for about 40k miles. At first it was OK. Later I started having trouble getting it into gear. I switched to Kendall Elite 75W-90, which is a PAO-based full synthetic. I have had that in for about 40k miles now and have no problems, nothing like with Mobil 1. I still think that non-synthetic would produce better results. I think the best choice for Subaru gearboxes is any GL-5 rated non-synthetic of the proper weight. Rear diff is a different story.

Yeah, too bad it's not cut and dry like that. Manual says 75W90, but you won't necessarily get good results with all synthetic 75W90's.
If you contact SoA, they will tell you that they don't recommend synthetic gear oil.

IMHO, a lot of it is driving style. That's why there are so many different results with the same gear oil.

-Dennis

There is no reason to change gear lube on a car 3800 miles. If there is an issue it needs to be addressed under warranty. The only issue that could be corrected with the fluid is adding some if its low.

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:
There is no reason to change gear lube on a car 3800 miles.

Ever tried shifting a Subaru in 10F temps?
smile.gif

When I hop in my car, I want to go. I don't want to sit around waiting for the gear oil to warm up.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back