Using NON-Honda ATF in an Accord (successfully)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AT is fine and I expect it to stay fine. The point is: I think it best to run the Z-1 vs. another ATF in a Honda. You,of course,are a free moral agent. You may run whatever ATF you think best in your Honda.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
The point is: I think it best to run the Z-1 vs. another ATF in a Honda. You,of course,are a free moral agent. You may run whatever ATF you think best in your Honda.

thumbsup2.gif

I would NEVER tow using a Honda/Acura... When you change the fluid away from the Honda ATF fluid, you need to do a few drain and fills to get all the old fluid out. Maxlife has worked great for me for over 75K miles and now the fluid comes out looking like new on every drain and fill.

I'm using Amsoil UATF in my Prelude which has one of those "sensative" transmissions. Shift quality in low rpm's aren't that great (wasn't great with Z1 either) but if I shift past 3K RPM its smooth. Downshift is smooth and quick for the most part as well.

I am going to try DW-1 in my RDX this week, will see how it performs, I don't have any shift issues in the RDX even with Z1 but I have been changing the fluid every 25K.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
You,of course,are a free moral agent.

aren't we talking about atf?
Humor.

Howdy folks,

I don't post too often, but I am rather interested in this thread as I recently picked up a 91 Accord with 145K on it with an automatic a few weeks ago. Everything is in great shape, except that the trans shifts hard into and out of 2nd gear under light throttle. I typically use Amsoil in all of my vehicles with great success (including my wife's '00 Civic), and am about to place an order for fluids for my truck and this car. Amsoil shows both a multi vehicle and "torque-drive" severe duty ATF for this car. Has anyone used this torque drive in their hondas, and if so how did it work out? The fluid in there now is of unknown age and type, but is not burnt smelling nor brown. Its coming out regardless, but I'm curious considering that even people who say "hondas last forever" and/or are not mechanically inclined seem to give their automatics the side eye. Cheers for any info.

Dennis

Well, I knew I would stir up a hornets nest with that topic/post!

I DO appreciate all the comments and stories. At this instant in time, it has been two weeks (obviously not very long) but AT THIS POINT, it is still operating/shifting perfectly and easily, both up and down shifts. Trust me.... I WILL keep an eye on it and pay attention. If it does start acting different or poorly, I am no fool, and I will/would change back to the Honda Z-1 fluid. The problem with this whole issue is that there are a TON of variables in all the different vehicles, their operation, maintenance, etc.

Bottomline: I am a big boy, and I did my research and made my calculated gamble. Time will tell. I will try to remember to post back on here as to what happens or doesn't happen. Again, thanks for your comments.

Regards, RC_46 Rider

P.S. I am a fan of Honda products and have had extremely good luck with them over many years, but one thing I am taking away from all this is that the Honda transmission is NOT one of their absolute best products/designs. This doesn't mean it
is a "bad" product, but clearly, it is not a "great" product.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
You,of course,are a free moral agent.

aren't we talking about atf?

Mike, don't set him off! I was just happy FZ used "moral".
thumbsup2.gif

Joel

RC46_rider, thanks for posting, i too have went out of usual Z1 route on my Honda. Honda Canada would not consider goodwill repair if the car does not visit dealership often enough. so as far as warranty/goodwill concern to me, pick D4, Z1, Amsoil or MaxLife over Z1 or not not does not really matter.
i also appreciate other posts to suggest stay with Z1 equally; that way, people search for answer for themselves on this subject can find helpful information here.

Comment to gogozy:

Thanks for the comments....

At 75K on a 5 year old car, I have no illusions that Honda would ever honor any "warranty" on a transmission, regardless of the reason. All of the manufacturers are trying to do things to lock customers into "dealer service". In doing that they are starting to step into a somewhat dangerous legal area. One of these days, one of them will get busted for $80 million in a class action suit and they will suddenly decide to lighten up on "required" fluids, parts, "dealer only service", etc. only produced by the manufacturer. Again, I like Hondas, but at the end of the day, one must realize the ONLY reason they are in business is to make money and this fact will guide or at least influence their "recommendations".

Regards........

That's why I get all my oil changes,state inspections,accident repairs,and work done at the dealer where I bought my Honda. If you ain't got goodwill,you ain't got nuthin' at all.

O. K. Here's another story for you. I was getting a battery at NTB years ago at about 50k and the tech told me the ATF was dirty. They drained and filled with a "synthetic" ATF that was "much better than Z1". 15k later,I'm recovering my little Bass Boat at the Ramp and my transmission begins to slip. I make it home 90 miles and take it to the Honda dealer and tell them I want a complete drain and refill of ATF. Viola!!!! Fixed it!!! I'm now at 109k Bass boat towing miles with my 02 Accord V6 and no more Slipping. So thanks to the "experts",but, I'll be staying with the Z1.

Now that would be a compelling story if it hadn't come from a guy who tows a bass boat with an old Honda Accord.
15.gif

Right. I'm living in Dallas and bass fishing at Lake Fork and you're living in "kansastan" and driving a wreck with a salvage title. You're killin' me man. Lol.

FOLLOW UP to original post:

Howdy... I said I would follow up on what was or was not happening to my '05 Accord with NON-Honda ATF in it. So here it is: Short version:

I did 3 immediate changes of the trans. fluid using Shell Multi-Vehicle ATF which changes about 87% of the fluid.
SO FAR, which is about 12K miles, NO PROBLEMS of any sort have been noted. I pay particular attention to shifting
quality, speed of shifts, etc. I absolutely cannot tell any difference in the way the transmission shifts and works between the Shell ATF and the Honda Z-1. (except a Big difference in price !! ) Gas mileage has continued to be excellent(for this car). Admittedly, 12K is not high mileage on the ATF, but if it were going to "immediately mess up the transmission" I suspect it would have done it. I have continued to research the Shell Multi-Vehicle ATF and so far I have seen nothing that leads me to believe it is not suitable for the '05 Accord transmission.

I have used and followed Shell products over many years and continue to believe they are a credible, reputable company and would not say this product was appropriate for a Honda if it were not. They DO say the Multi-Vehicle ATF is NOT appropriate for a number of vehicles, so again, in my mind, additional credibility to Shell.

Based on the results in the Accord, I am going to change my
'04 Civic (with 151K) to the Shell Multi-vehicle ATF.

Stay tuned....I will follow up in 6 months or so.

I've been using Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF or Maxlife ATF (depending on availability) in our Honda products for some time now. 120k miles on the '03 Accord and the transmission still shifts perfectly. 78k on the TSX and working great. I do fluid changes every 30k miles or so.

That's why I get all my oil changes,state inspections,accident repairs,and work done at the dealer where I bought my Honda. If you ain't got goodwill,you ain't got nuthin' at all.

To each their own. From my way of looking at things, you are paying a lot of extra cash for that goodwill which may be of little use.

I do the vast majority of my own maintenance, and the few time's I've had warranty issues with my Honda, the dealer and Honda have always been great about taking care of the issue without any hassle over my being a DIY person for the routine stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back