Used tires vs Cheap new for infrequent towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up the 98 Expedition in my sig as a cheap tow vehicle for taking our race car to the track instead of inconveniencing my wife by stealing her SUV on the weekends. I got a killer deal buying it from a family member who was letting it rot.

Truck runs well but the tires are pretty bald. They're in good condition (no cracks, dryrot, bubbles, they roll smooth, balanced, etc) but just no tread left.

As this truck is only used for towing its hard to justify a set of $700 60,000 mile quality tires when I will probably put no more than 2,000 miles on the truck in the next year or two.

I'm considering a set of used tires but the few shops I called seemed uninterested in selling used and quoted me prices that are almost what I'd pay for new, hardly worth it.

Your experiences - would it be worth it to try to track down a reasonable price on a set of used tires, or is there really no market for it? So much of the cost is the mounting/balancing/tire disposal.

Theres always the fallback option of the house brand/china tire, which I'm usually not a fan of (especially towing), but again, not a daily driver. The Tire Choice advertises a Fuzion SUV for $395+tax (regular price, no sale, installed) so thats what I'm using as my baseline for value regarding used vs. new.

Its very dry here now, so I'm in no rush to replace them, and I can wait for a deal if I need to but end of April/May is when it rains almost every day.

What size and load rating? I'd look on CL and in junkyards. Note that cars are junked for reasons other than tire problems-- any other used tire has a story of some sort.

Sad thing about truck tires is once they hit an certain expensive point, everyone is going to be looking for used ones and the price won't be worth it.

Compare to, say, 205/65/15s for a toyota camry where 95% of the population thinks it's ghetto to run a used tire "that might not have been taken care of" and you can get them for $10-20 with 9/32 tread.

The rebates on tires should start showing up again, now that we're into March.

Just noticed this morning that Cooper has a new rebate up at DTD.

Check into a Starfire SF-510. It is a low $ tire made by Cooper, the Fuzion SUV tire, or the Prodigy H/T from Discount Tire.

None of these tires are glamorous, but they're new and from reputable manufacturers.

Review this as well: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...apt#Post3284770

255/70/16. Load rating I believe stock is 109T.

I've actually spent the last 2 weekends in junkyards fixing this thing up. Picked up a full hitch and wiring harness, a missing turn signal light, and an AC hose that was ruptured. We've been looking for wheels but found very few that have our style wheel (to match) and NOTHING has more than 2/32nd tread in the yard. The best we found last weekend were two matching with maybe 2/32nd but they were a different size and no discount on the tire for not having tread left. I'm wondering what goes on at the junkyard - do they take the tires with good tread off beforehand and sell them separately? Or do good tread tires just get scooped up immediately? I mean I saw nothing - navigator, F150, Expedition, that had good tread.

As for CL, it seems like there is so much but so little. Hundreds of ads for used tires but most just say something like "I sell used tires call me". I've called a few but just like I said above didn't get a great response. I'm still calling but wondering if I'm chasing my tail or if I just need to wait for the right deal.

does that have the 16's or the 17's?

if 16's

Firestone Destination A/T are only about 110-120$ each

fuzion suv are around 90$

Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 95$

I'm surprised that truck didnt come with load range C tires
but the oem tires were P-metric

I've heard the fuzion suv are not so good.

if I was going that route I'd probably go private label instead

Dean, starfire, mastercraft, hercules etc

right now DTD has cooper CTS
for 129$ each with 105 in rebates

so 415$ shipped to your door + installation.

copra4.ang.jpg

Last edited:
You might find a better deal on a 245/75R16 alot more common yet similar size, also more likely to find in an LT. For a cheap tire I like Nexen's they are Korean made but we sell the heck out of them where I work. I can't recall having any complaints on them.

I wouldn't buy used tires unless maybe you have another relative that might be selling some.

I have read that if tires are run much on the highway with low air they can become damaged internally. How could you tell?

I guess sometimes people buy a new vehicle and want to upgrade the tires when the OEM are still pretty good, but I don't know where to find those.

I know what you mean about looking on CL, a lot of time wasted for uncertain results.

Originally Posted By: ddombrowski
I picked up the 98 Expedition..

Your experiences - would it be worth it to try to track down a reasonable price on a set of used tires, or is there really no market for it?

So much of the cost is the mounting/balancing/tire disposal.

Its very dry here now, so I'm in no rush to replace them, and I can wait for a deal if I need to but end of April/May is when it rains almost every day.

... a lot of the cost is the mounting and balancing-- and don't forget your own time.

If you find some GOOD used tires great-- but if you get new tires you can drive with confidence if you need the vehicle in bad weather it will be ready.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
You might find a better deal on a 245/75R16 alot more common yet similar size, also more likely to find in an LT. For a cheap tire I like Nexen's they are Korean made but we sell the heck out of them where I work. I can't recall having any complaints on them.

I just spot checked a couple and it looks like this size drops the price of most of the ones I was looking at between $7-10/tire. As long as the load rating is the same (will have to check) this looks like a good compromise. Thanks!

IMO buy what you need, new. It is worth the investment.

Anything else puts your family, rig, and race vehicle at risk.

firestone usually has sales. the dueler REVO 2 is like $127 right now, and it's normally like $180.

I would not tow with used tires. nope, no way.

I would hate to miss a race, and be stuck on the side of the road with a race car on the trailer because of a bad tire.

When changing sizes, be sure to watch the change in the overall diameter, along with speed ratings and load ratings... especially important with a tow vehicle.

Where in Florida are you?

I just did an all of craigslist search in Florida and found a few places where it seems your best bet is to walk in and see what they have.

I would go to one and see what you find. If it's no good at least you know your best bet is to look for something new with rebates.

I'm in South Florida.

I've been digging around looking for rebates and coupons and it seems that Firestone regularly runs a buy 3 get one free on various types. There are a few Firestone Destination LE2 and A/T in the 110-130 range where 3x125 + installation would be cheap enough to not worry about buying used and they'd be name brand.

There are no buy 3 get 1 deals on the tires I want now, but like I said, I can wait a bit for a sale.

I've heard that with the buy 3 get 1 deals you have to buy the road hazard warranty on them, but based on all the expired coupons I've looked up I don't see anything mentioning that. Anyone do a similar deal?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

When changing sizes, be sure to watch the change in the overall diameter, along with speed ratings and load ratings... especially important with a tow vehicle.

We've got the 3.73 rear, so a taller tire would actually be welcome. Will be sure to check the speed and load ratings.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

245 75 will be .4 inches taller. Load rating on a P rated will be the same but 245 75 is also commonly available in LT rated. It's an expedition, it will shut down between 95-100 so the speed rating being 112 or 118 mph should be irrelevant and varies by particular tire in each size anyway.

If history is any indicator, Discount Tire Direct may run a $50 off of 4 tires promotion (for at least a few days) within the next month or so, and it CAN be stacked along with (for example) the current $80 Cooper rebate.

The Cooper rebate runs through April 15, so we have 6 weeks of time for DTD to do something....hopefully...
smile.gif

(Yes, I'm in need of a set of tires as well...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back