Used Car Market In Turmoil As Prices Collapse And Demand Wanes

Tracking every cycle through out history, their frequency and amplitude have increased exponentially over time. From 1000 year cycles, to 500 year cycles, to 50 year cycles, to every few months. That is the issue.
We should all be getting ready for the great reset.
had a drastic one in 2007 thru 2011.
covid caused another.
thinking back to the SL thing in the 80's.
thinking further back to the hi interest rates in the end frames of the Carter and beginning of Reagan years..

We certainly are like Lemmings running over a cliff . I couldn't believe the dumbed down Tv watchers over the past 5 or so years.

Check the stats. Rental "prices" are strong, not rental quantity.
I think that may be location dependent? I barely watch the news but most any report I've seen about rentals in NH bemoans tight supply.

The rental vacancy rate has languished below five percent — the sign of a balanced market — since 2009 and below 1 percent since 2021.

Article indicates median rental for a 2 bedroom is just under $1,800/month. Pretty insane, while I pay more per month all in, my mortgage is less than that (and I did not have a large down payment).

Yep.Those waiting for used car bargains are going to be waiting a long time.
I suspect the high end of the market will get the adjustment--but not on the lower end. Might get worse: how many small & cheap cars were made over the last few years? If people stop being able to "afford" the expensive vehicles but "need" to buy something, they will go after the low end. Increase demand w/o increase in supply...

I'd love to see the used market tank. The wife is needing some new wheels, it's just that everything has been priced so stupidly for a couple of years now.
It's happening. I bought a used 2 year old Gladiator, loaded, that had depreciated 25% and they had been at or near the top of the heap with resale value not that long ago. The dealer had it on his lot for about 8 months and had knocked the price down nearly $8,000.

I could've and probably should've waited to buy it but I wanted one now.

Now I'm selling my 2008 and I don't think I'm going to get much for it.

It's happening. I bought a used 2 year old Gladiator, loaded, that had depreciated 25% and they had been at or near the top of the heap with resale value not that long ago. The dealer had it on his lot for about 8 months and had knocked the price down nearly $8,000.

I could've and probably should've waited to buy it but I wanted one now.

Now I'm selling my 2008 and I don't think I'm going to get much for it.
You can't site a Gladiator as an example. It has been a sales flop and sales volume is very low. As you said-there was initial excitement and then sales plummeted. Sales volume through October is 27,000 units. Pretty pitiful.

Last edited:
housing will only fall if rental prices fall. Rental prices are going strong. It's so crazy that people are paying in rent little less than what they'd pay to own a house/condo.
Not exactly. Last one didn't fall much in 08 in rent but the collapse are mainly due to people buying what they can't afford in ninja loans then got laid off.

You can't site a Gladiator as an example. It has been a sales flop and sales volume is very low. As you said-there was initial excitement and then sales plummeted. Sales volume through October is 27,000 units. Pretty pitiful.

Well, I can. They've never been a huge seller but their resale value was high. Not anymore. Part of the reason for the sales slump for new ones is the price drop on the used ones. I was originally intending to buy new until I saw the used prices dropping.

But there's also competition. Ford Ranger, new Tundra, and refreshed Colorado/Canyon. Plus Maverick and now other small light pickups are coming to market. It's getting crowded. I'd expect another round of rebates/incentives soon, and they'll be aggressive.

They still sold 14k in Q3. I'm sure they'd like to sell more, but they've got LOTS of room in that sticker price to pull back and still make money.

Last edited:
Well, I can. They've never been a huge seller but their resale value was high. Not anymore. Part of the reason for the sales slump for new ones is the price drop on the used ones. I was originally intending to buy new until I saw the used prices dropping.

But there's also competition. Ford Ranger, new Tundra, and refreshed Colorado/Canyon. Plus Maverick and now other small light pickups are coming to market. It's getting crowded. I'd expect another round of rebates/incentives soon, and they'll be aggressive.
You forget to mention generally poor reviews on the Gladiator as well.

Back