USA toyota lies about oil viscosity for 2GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
the reason for rebuilding anything is because it wore out or broke for some reason. 5w20 works fine. I don't know what the people put into an engine when we get them for rebuilds but many times its not oil related.

In the mid 1980's when GM started to recommend 5w30 in their new cars everyone asked us if we believed that 5w30 was to thin for the summer.. Some People were afraid to use 5w30 for the same reason some are afraid to use 5w20.

This thread is getting a bit silly in responses. It means that the vast majority of cars in Russia are using 5W-30 for 75% or more of the year anyways. I doubt they have much in the way of 0/5W-20's available.

Of course, they did use SAE20 1940's and 50's in their import Dodges. Was that CAFE too?

I do agree most engines will run fine with a varied oil spread based on temps though...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
In the mid 1980's when GM started to recommend 5w30 in their new cars everyone asked us if we believed that 5w30 was to thin for the summer.. Some People were afraid to use 5w30 for the same reason some are afraid to use 5w20.

There was also a caveat used by manufacturers that "5W-30 is not recommended for sustained high speed driving".

Should I be paranoid about that with the advent of Group II/II+/III oils?

...by high speed I'm pretty sure that they mean high ENGINE speed (RPMs), not fast road speed (MPH) that typically is at low (<3k) RPMs...at least in the US...and not on unlimited MPH highways

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
This thread is getting a bit silly in responses. It means that the vast majority of cars in Russia are using 5W-30 for 75% or more of the year anyways. I doubt they have much in the way of 0/5W-20's available.

If you check, they've had two versions of TGMO available there for years

Of course, they did use SAE20 1940's and 50's in their import Dodges. Was that CAFE too?

No, the 20W20s had an HTHS of 2.9, being Newtonian...Doc and CATERHAM would call them "really 30s"

I do agree most engines will run fine with a varied oil spread based on temps though...

sorry my friend, but you completely missed what this thread is all about.

There was also a caveat used by manufacturers that "5W-30 is not recommended for sustained high speed driving".

even now, even in USA toyota states that oils preferred for fuel efficiency are not preferred for heavy duty service.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

When were they available "for years"?

Please be specific...

Quote:

No, the 20W20s had an HTHS of 2.9, being Newtonian...Doc and CATERHAM would call them "really 30s"

Really? Do tell? So 20W oils were better in the 40's?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

sorry my friend, but you completely missed what this thread is all about.

So bud, what's it all "about?"

even now, even in USA toyota states that oils preferred for fuel efficiency are not preferred for heavy duty service.

And where do they state this exactly?

Originally Posted By: Shark
Had a good laugh at this thread. Mel Gibson has played the OP in a movie.

what? i didn't get it.

I was making a joke about the movie Conspiracy Theory.

Reading and comprehension lacking...identify where I said "better"...be specific.

they are DIFFERENT...people keep claiming that 20W20 proves that "20s" have been used for years, when they were very different oils...you brought them into the discussion.

J300 was modified to include the HTHS minimums, and the minimum (and target) for the 0W20s is typically 2.6, while the 20W20s were typically 2.9+, the "minimum" for the 30 multigrades.

Please be specific...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3152106

Long enough to have clocked up 11,400km by October 2013...

And where do they state this exactly?

the documents no one reads: owner manuals.

do you have one?

You can quote it then. But I notice no one ever actually does...

Please be specific...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3152106

Long enough to have clocked up 11,400km by October 2013...

So, what were the "years?"

Reading and comprehension lacking...identify where I said "better"...be specific.

they are DIFFERENT...people keep claiming that 20W20 proves that "20s" have been used for years, when they were very different oils...you brought them into the discussion.

J300 was modified to include the HTHS minimums, and the minimum (and target) for the 0W20s is typically 2.6, while the 20W20s were typically 2.9+, the "minimum" for the 30 multigrades.

Reading comprehension from the grammatically challenged...

Try not to be so full of [censored] Shannow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back