USA toyota lies about oil viscosity for 2GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the 2GR-FE in our 2011 sienna gets whatever i feel like at the time, including leftover shelf remnants which could have been anything from 5w50 to 0w20. it runs great and doesn't care, and neither do i, and neither should you.

does it have cold engine noise like mine?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
that chart was intended for a big powerful v6 or v8 engine. several hundreds of HP anyway.

Agreed. The Town Car and the Lightning had extremely low RPMs on the highway. The G37 isn't exactly revving very high, either.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I pity the person that lives in an area where the anticipated temperature has only a high of 10C (50F) for the next OCI.

Have you heard of winter?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

And why isn't the information in Russia a lie and not the US info?

well, you tell me. how about the Aussie version then?

The Aussie version uses 30w-70 for "winter" and SAE200 for "summer"

OMG, i had RAV with 3.5L V6 2GR-FE engine for several years and just realized the oil USA toyota tells you to use all the time (5W30 or 0W20 for newer cars) is unsuitable to use during summer while outside USA.

this is thanks to a post by member dkrivosheyev:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3730861/Re:_0-W20_to_5-W30_swtich#Post3730861

it clearly shows 5W30 is only good up to 10 Celsius and 10W30 or higher is needed above 10C. this russian toyota info is current (MY 2015).

i went ahead and googled some more and found the same info for 2GR-FE from australia toyota (MY2014):

Oil%20Spec.jpg

"Lies" ? Inconsistent might be a better term than "lie".

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
5w20 works well here in the us. I see a lot of engines still running on 5w20.. I don't know if engines last longer in other countries or if they last longer here.. I use 5w20 in engines we rebuild that require 5w20 with no problem. Why do you think usa Toyota is the one that lies? Maybe its hard to find 5w20 in some places oversees.

5w20 is available here, I've even seen 0w16 about. But it's only in the US and Canada where 0/5w20 is recommended by many manufacturers, probably thanks to CAFE. H*ll even 5w30 isn't recommended in this engine over here unless you live in our cooler climate zones and short trip only.
I would probably just use 10w30/40 if I owned this engine and if I lived in a colder climate then probably a 0/5w30/40
Toyota don't even recommend 20 weights in this engine in Russia!
I see the dead hand of the US bureaucrat foisting thin oil and gas with alky in it on us despite the experience of the rest of the planet.

Since we all know that 5W/30 satisfies all the requirements of 10W/30, the chart is not a lie, it is inaccurate and misleading. It also ignores the last couple of decades of improvements in oil grades and ratings.

I would not hesitate to run 0W/30 in that motor, no matter how hot the temperature, as long as it was outdoors, on planet earth.....And not inside a volcano.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

And why isn't the information in Russia a lie and not the US info?

well, you tell me. how about the Aussie version then?

The Aussie version uses 30w-70 for "winter" and SAE200 for "summer"

Find and post a single recommendation for same...

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

"Lies" ? Inconsistent might be a better term than "lie".

right, i'm not good at sugarcoating. i wonder if that has to do with not getting that promotion lately, LOL.

I can't comment on the 2GR-FE with 5w30 since I am on my 3rd one using 5w30 syn because I trade them in at 200,000 miles so I am not sure how long it takes the 5w30 to destroy them.

13.gif

This makes a lot of sense.
At 3K revs, our newer Accord would be a hair over 90 mph and certainly wouldn't be at anything like WOT cruising at that speed.
Outside of the vast empty spaces of America, like South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana or West Texas, to name those I've driven through, nobody is likely to be running a sustained 90 mph for very long anyway.
Traffic is as much a deterrent to this as are officers running lidar.
This means that Honda has determined that a twenty grade is fine for the way that you can operate any car in America, not that other grades might not be appropriate to other regions of the world where you might sometimes be able to operate a car at much higher sustained speeds.
Even in Europe, there are many speed-restricted areas on what are nominally unrestricted limited access highways and traffic also serves as a natural limiter of speed.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I can't comment on the 2GR-FE with 5w30 since I am on my 3rd one using 5w30 syn because I trade them in at 200,000 miles so I am not sure how long it takes the 5w30 to destroy them.

13.gif

Ha.

That's awesome.

I wonder at what point beyond the 200k that's already on the vehicle when the engine is kaput,not even taking into consideration the vehicles sheet metal and the cars various systems.

My car is spinning 3200rpm at 70mph. Maybe that's why Nissan is very strict about not going below 10W40 if the ambient temp is above 60F,then recommending 20W50 if racing or driving sustained high speeds. I guess they figure people who bought these cars are going to pound on them.

Lotus 2gr-fe
5w40 street
10w60 track

Toyota's will run forever on pretty much any good oil.
My 2gr-fe's are quietest on 0w and 5w 40-grades. But, its hard not to use an MPG 0w20 with the radio turned up.

Oil capacity in USA for some of the 2gr-fe is ~6.4 quarts. I'd say a pint might be the make or break deciding factor on a certain grades.
Some have oil coolers and others do not. Oil temp control is critical if vehicle is worked.
A 3300lb Camry commuter will also have a different strain level when compared to a 5000lb Highlander pulling 5000lbs.

Quality of oil in different countries varies. Is the visc a bandaid for low quality motor oil? or expected owner lack of maintenance? or ??

Use the grade that YOU believe is best for your driving style. One size does NOT fit all, regardless of what the automaker wants you to think.

Accurate oil temp and pressure gauges can help you see if you have an out of control oil temp rise or pressure loss.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the 2GR-FE in our 2011 sienna gets whatever i feel like at the time, including leftover shelf remnants which could have been anything from 5w50 to 0w20. it runs great and doesn't care, and neither do i, and neither should you.

What exactly brings you to an oil enthusiast forum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back