Update on the 460

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the F-250 with the 460 I got in trade for my Dmax is doing well. Been going with Castrol 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter every 5k and getting like 11-12 mpg,depending in the day. I also had to go with a COMPLETELY rebuilt tranny since the old E4OD had 212,000 miles of good use on it, but it got upgraded and is doing well. I miss my Dmax for sure, but not the payments. Hoep you guys had a good 4th!!

Im usually a supporter of 5W20 but for that application I would likely use 10W30 if you do any towing.
I really enjoyed my 1996 F350 SRW 4x4. It had the 460, ZF 5-Speed Manual and 4.10.

I used 10w-30 at first, but we don't have hot temps here and I don't do much towing like I used to. I noticed 2 things. The start up was noticeably better and my mileage improved about .8 to 1 mpg. I have 3:55's so it runs down the highway pretty well. I can't complain. How was yours dependability wise? Mine has 220k on it and runs amazingly well. I believe the engine was redone at 140k and I just had the tranny done, so I should be good for awhile I hope.

Ford 7.5L 460 V8 is one of the best Old School engine they made back in the day. I would use 10W-30 of any quality motor oil but if Ford specs 5W-20 for that particular engine today, then go with 5W-20 Motorcraft or any quality motor oil brands of your choice. Enjoy your paid off truck !
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Mine was bullet proof. It generally got about 9-11 mpg in town and 14-16 mpg highway with 33" Tires. I usually averaged around 12.5 mpg. Fuel mileage towing ranged from 6-11 mpg depending on trailer size and weight. I suspect the manual might have been a bit better than autos in fuel mileage.

Oil Pressure doesn't change noticeably. Factory specs call for 5w-20 as the Lima engines had a harder time getting heavier weights to the upper cylinder and head parts that need lubrication. That is my reason for sticking with the lighter weight. If I was in a hotter climate, that would be a different story.

The company I worked for used straight 30 Delo 400 in their semis, the fleet of forklifts and the customers forklifts The company cars the recip compressors and their motors that were in the service vans . And there were no engine problems in anything that were oil related and the engines lasted way too long .the vans were run till wrecked or till they fell apart and noboby was easy on the equipment. That was in the SF bay area, I was ther 175 years so I saw engine life. The engines do not have any problem getting oil to the top end . They are great engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back