New fuel level sensor in 2001 Lincoln only updates from a refill.....AFTER the next restart. Normal?

While this might be normal, it sure is odd imo. So I figured someone here would know the answer or seen it before.

Had a faulty fuel pump diagnosed a bit over a month ago. So the entire fuel pump/level assembly for my 2001 Lincoln Continental
was replaced.

After the first time I refueled with 10 gal, I noticed level did not go up....though it did move up 1/16th-1/32nd of gauge travel over the
next few miles. It wasn't until the next restart of the car 15 min later that the level jumped up to "full." I reported it to the Auto Repair Shop who said they would replace the assembly under the 2 year warranty if it continued to occur. Maybe it was a one time thing? Well, today was the 2nd time I refilled the tank and it did the same thing. The level only updated AFTER the next stop and start cycle. Other
than the "delay" the level ends up where it should be....and tracks down normally over the next couple of weeks.

Any way this could be normal in the brave new world of auto parts "quality?". And what's the circuit/physical explanation why this would even occur? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dumb question I know, but can you confirm that you do shut down the engine while refueling? The car is completely shut down, not in ACC or ON position?

Yes to all those questions. Though, even if I was leaving the radio on not sure how that would interfere
with the next startup & getting an accurate fuel tank level. I've had this car for 6 yrs and 30K miles. My refueling procedure
is pretty ingrained....with engine off and no accessories powered up. Did the same thing with my 2 prior Lincoln Continentals going back to 2001. This is the 1st time I've ever seen this. Don't think I ever replaced a fuel pump in one of these Lincolns before.

Next time I refuel, I'm going to do it at the Auto Repair Shop so they can fully witness it for themselves.

Last edited:
On some older Fords, you must shut down completely when refilling. Otherwise the fuel level will not be accurate.
My old Taurus and current Fusion/Milan both exhibit this behavior
I always thought it was just a Ford thing 🤷‍♂️

If you refill engine running (which you shouldn't) or don't fully key off, it takes a few minutes for the dash to update that the tank is filled
If you run it down to 1/4 or so, key off for the amount of time to pump a full tank, when you restart it shoots right to full
Must be the way they implemented logic/software in the cluster or GEM/Fuel pump module
The fuel level gauge is dampened by design (electronically filtered) to prevent fluctuations from hard cornering and fuel slosh

My 2001 Grand Marquis does this. The gauge will eventually come up. But I've filled up with the car running and driven 60 miles after and it still wasn't registered all the way up to 7/8 yet.

I have had at least 3 other 2001 Ford products that won't update the level after refueling unless you shut the vehicle off and turn it on.

My 2001 Grand Marquis does this. The gauge will eventually come up. But I've filled up with the car running and driven 60 miles after and it still wasn't registered all the way up to 7/8 yet.

I have had at least 3 other 2001 Ford products that won't update the level after refueling unless you shut the vehicle off and turn it on.

OK. Now we're getting somewhere. Seems like this is a fairly common occurrence in the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury world.
Interesting that all I have driven since 1985 were Fords (4), Lincolns (3), and Mercs (2) as daily drivers. And just finally ran into this quirk.
Those other cars were probably all on the original factory level sensors. I'm actually sort of surprised it is this common.

These first 2 refills were only about half a tank or 8-9 gallons down. Haven't done one from 1/4 tank or less yet. I did notice the fuel gauge tracking up very slowly over a couple miles but I was only on a short trip before heading home. On a longer trip after refueling I'll
have to watch to see if the gauge slowly tracks up to 7/8 or more.

Thanks for all these inputs so far.

OK. Now we're getting somewhere. Seems like this is a fairly common occurrence in the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury world.
Interesting that all I have driven since 1985 were Fords (4), Lincolns (3), and Mercs (2) as daily drivers. And just finally ran into this quirk.
Those other cars were probably all on the original factory level sensors. I'm actually sort of surprised it is this common.

These first 2 refills were only about half a tank or 8-9 gallons down. Haven't done one from 1/4 tank or less yet. I did notice the fuel gauge tracking up very slowly over a couple miles but I was only on a short trip before heading home. On a longer trip after refueling I'll
have to watch to see if the gauge slowly tracks up to 7/8 or more.

Thanks for all these inputs so far.
But your car did not do this before the pump/sender were replaced, correct?

But your car did not do this before the pump/sender were replaced, correct?

True. But, my car had a factory installed fuel pump module up to now. It no longer does. I would think all bets are off with a different style/brand of fuel pump module. And now it's been shown that other Ford/Lincoln/Mercs have done this....whether on original and/or replaced fuel pump assemblies. At least I know I don't have something occurring that should "never" be occurring. I can still discuss with the Auto Shop and have them run it by the part supplier.....who can then run it by the part mfg.

Maybe this does need to be "normalized" to some degree. It's certainly not a "rare" occurrence based on several feed backs so far. This forum is only a tiny part of the automotive world.

I suspect that while your aftermarket module gives the right "zero to full ohms" there is something else in the OE module that helps communicate with the dash cluster computer. The aftermarket part, fitting maybe more than one application, is a compromise.

Incidentally, how is your EVAP system? If you clear your monitors does it "click in" within the expected timeframe?

I suspect that while your aftermarket module gives the right "zero to full ohms" there is something else in the OE module that helps communicate with the dash cluster computer. The aftermarket part, fitting maybe more than one application, is a compromise.

Incidentally, how is your EVAP system? If you clear your monitors does it "click in" within the expected timeframe?

That makes good sense.....thanks. Not sure on the EVAP system question. I've never seen a warning or info message on it ever.

Back