UOA time frame for analysis

Good Day,

I took a oil sample from my BMW 2 years ago with the intentions of sending it in. It has been stored in my garage in a plastic container with closed lid ever since.

Is it too late to send it in? I don't want to waste money if time has alltered the sample composition.

TIA

I wanted to use it as it was a 5 year oil change interval with 4800 KMS of summer use.
I have emailed Blackstone, will post the reply when I get it.

Last edited:
Here is the reply:
We can certainly still test that sample, If you could just make a note about it being in a plastic container for a couple of years, that might help us account for any unusual contamination that might turn up. Still, if you kept it sealed over that time, it should test virtually as if you took it last week.

I would also stir up the sample. There's a lot of stuff in used oil that settles out over time and gets thick. The company likely would mix it up before actually sampling but this way you know it's mixed before shipping.
I've seen samples out after a few months because I forgot.

I would also stir up the sample. There's a lot of stuff in used oil that settles out over time and gets thick. The company likely would mix it up before actually sampling but this way you know it's mixed before shipping.
I've seen samples out after a few months because I forgot.
I wish I had. The sample sat undesturbed for 2 yrs and I poured what I needed into the sample bottled and mailed it off. Later when I poured out what was left, a nice black sediment layer was left behind

Back