uoa john deere 6076

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
the fuel dilution was over a year ago on back to back oc, the second one i only ran it 75 hrs to see if it would happen again as per jd suggestion, and it did. at 2.5% its just over the threshold of 2%. like i said above deere field rep said they had seen this sporadically with their 0w-40ch-4 since the introduction of usld

Can someone explain to me what USLD is and how it would cause fuel dilution in oil? I had so far unfounded >5% fuel dilution (by GC method) in an UOA.

The topic is about diesel UOAs, so here's the info:

Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (has less than 15ppm of sulphur), as opposed to LSD (low sulphur diesel) with less than 500ppm.

It (the type of fuel) does not cause fuel dilution. Leaking fuel systems, or secondary injection events to assist in the regeneration process for DPF, cause fuel dilution, among other things.

just an update to this post, i have another uoa;
6076 deere marine
9/29/10 sample date
365 hrs. on sample
10,076 hrs. total
john deere plus 50 CI-4

iron........................22
chromium.................... nickel...................... aluminum.....................1
lead.........................1
copper.......................1
tin......................... titanium.................... silver..................... silicon......................2
boron.......................89
sodium.......................1
potassium.................. molybdenum.................106
phosphorus................1196
zinc......................1504
calcium...................3685
barium..................... magnesium....................8
antimony................... vanadium.................... fuel% vol................... t/s% vol...................0.5
water% vol................. vis cs 100c...............15.5

make-up oil added was 4 gallons, due to turbo bearing failure mid-way through oci
this is my last oc with CI-4, i am now using the new plus 50II, which is CJ-4.
according to deere specs the new oil is supposed to be good to 500hrs. with usld, so we'll see

[censored] i love this oil!!...glad i got 15 untapped gallons in the back room,awsome oil. thanks for the report.

would love to see how the new CJ-4 Plus-50II looks..please post when you get it done.

ULSD, if processed the cheaper way, has less lubrication. Good processing leaves the lubricity in it, cheap processing takes out the lubricity with the sulfur. But this would show in pump and injector wear that would not go away or have any direct effect on a specific oil.

Not all Moly is good. I'd like to see a sample of the virgin oil. JD uses Moly rings in many, if not all, engines. I kept thinking a customer was putting moly additives in the oil. Turned out that the Moly was from the rings. It still might only represent 10ppm of the moly, since the moly in the UOA runs 40 to 50% of the iron.

Even if a manufacterer uses moly rings, you're still going to see elevated chrome& iron readings. The plasma moly coating is sprayed on in a molten state and is extremely thin. If excess wear was taking place on the rings it would elevate the iron readings in a hurry. The top steel ring is much harder than the iron liner so it would show.
The JD Plus 50 seems to be a stout oil. Has it all gone to CJ-4 now??

yes as of about the first of this year CJ-4 replaced the CI-4/ci-4+, which is what i am running as of this oc.

time will tell if the new formulation is as good as the old, but according to deere the CJ-4 is supposed to be good for 500hrs. vs. 375hrs. for the CI-4

roadrunner1,

I use Plus 50 in my workplace farm tractors. How does marine engine use compare to farm tractors or heavy equipment regarding the "stresses" imposed on the oil (shearing, dilution, heat, etc.)?

Do you think we can correlate your results to other, more typical uses of this oil?

Have you used any other 15w40s? I wonder how they would compare?

Thanks.

Also, I enjoy the excitement you have created here with your excellent results. But, a few years ago someone here posted of horrible shearing of Plus 50 in their vehicle and there was a feeding frenzy declaring what a poor oil it was. I educated myself through conversations with the late Stinky Peterson of Butler Cat Labs and am still using it. But, I think it is wise not to develop "herd" mentality based on one person's experience, good or bad. Thanks for sharing your results...it reinforces my confidence in Plus 50.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
roadrunner1,

I use Plus 50 in my workplace farm tractors. How does marine engine use compare to farm tractors or heavy equipment regarding the "stresses" imposed on the oil (shearing, dilution, heat, etc.)?

Do you think we can correlate your results to other, more typical uses of this oil?

Have you used any other 15w40s? I wonder how they would compare?

Thanks.

i had a bad uoa using thier 0w-40 plus 50, but i don't think that can be used as a comparision here.

this particular engine was put into service in the summer of '92, and averages roughly 600hrs. yearly.
ideling hrs. probably accounts for 40% of total hrs., running the hydralic system and the rest is at or very near full load.

the major advantage of the marine environment is there is no dust and as far as temps go it is for the most part a "controlled environment", although that can have its own drawbacks. there is no airflow around the block, like a tractor would have, but we use a closed "keel cooled" system which is basically a radiator immersed under water so the cooling system instead of depending on ambient air temp is more influenced by lake water temp (35f-80f) for instance in june we can have near 100f days but lake surface temps may only be in the low 60'sf, so the coolant doesn't know its that hot only you do. the same situation in the late fall ambient air temp may be 10f but surface temps could be in the low 40'sf.
with all of the different oil systems on board thermostat controlled it is a very much different operating environment then say a piece of heavy equipment or a farm tractor. i had to install in-line oil thermostats for the marine gear because the oil would never reach proper operating temps, and the engine has its own oil cooler.

as far as other oils used this engine, when new, used deere 30wt. for a couple of years until i made the switch to the plus 50 15w-40.
the only comparision i can offer is i have a friend who operates the basically the same as me and used rotella 15w-40 for years in everything. after seeing one of my uoa's, he decided to try some plus 50, and couldn't believe the difference, virtually no make-up oil. he told me with rotella he was changing it at 150 hrs. due to having to add so much oil, and with the plus 50 he is running to 300hrs. with almost no make-up oil

Also, I enjoy the excitement you have created here with your excellent results. But, a few years ago someone here posted of horrible shearing of Plus 50 in their vehicle and there was a feeding frenzy declaring what a poor oil it
was. I educated myself through conversations with the late Stinky Peterson of Butler Cat Labs and am still using it. But, I think it is wise not to develop "herd" mentality based on one person's experience, good or bad. Thanks for sharing your results...it reinforces my confidence in Plus 50.

Last edited:
Just an update on this thread,
Below is my current UOA, John Deere Plus 50 II (CJ-4)15w-40
this is my first run with the CJ-4 blend, one year eight months since the last change.
496 hrs. (11,556 total)
3.5 gallons of make-up oil added (7 1/2 gallon sump)
sample date 6/17/12

iron..............................38
chromium...........................1
nickel.............................1
aluminum...........................1
lead...............................5
copper.............................1
tin............................... silver........................... titanium.......................... silicon............................5
boron............................233
sodium.............................3
potassium........................ molybdenum.......................289
phosphorus......................1090
zinc............................1281
calcium.........................1859
barium........................... magnesium........................916
antimony......................... vanadium.......................... fuel %vol......................... T/S % vol........................0.5
water % vol...................... VIS CS 100C.....................15.9

It appears that the CJ-4 formulation is doing quite well with the transformation to USLD. I did change at the time of the sample, mainly because the boat is now 150 miles from home and I didn't want to deal with an OC so far from home.

Comparing this sample to previous ones it doesn't appear to be a problem extending the service life of this lube to 750 hrs., or maybe longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
this is my first run with the CJ-4 blend, one year eight months since the last change.
496 hrs. (11,556 total)
sample date 6/17/12

tin............................... silver........................... titanium.......................... silicon............................5
antimony......................... vanadium.......................... fuel %vol......................... T/S % vol........................0.5

It appears that the CJ-4 formulation is doing quite well with the transformation to USLD. I did change at the time of the sample, mainly because the boat is now 150 miles from home and I didn't want to deal with an OC so far from home.

Comparing this sample to previous ones it doesn't appear to be a problem extending the service life of this lube to 750 hrs., or maybe longer.

Daman, here you go, although you probably have already seen it.

496 hrs. (11,556 total)
sample date 6/17/12

Daman, here you go, although you probably have already seen it.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back