Unusual intruder shooting case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Why was he in there after dark/midnight? I can only think of one reason.

And what if the person who was in the garage that was then shot was a police officer, or a security guard, who while on patrol, saw the open garage, and was inspecting it to see if something was going on?

BC.

I don't own gun but I'm not against gun owners.

In this case the home owner (and gun owner) is clearly wrong. He and his partner bait and shoot to kill.

If the intruder got into the house through the opened garage door then he may think that he and his partner may be in danger, then he can shoot to kill to defend himself and his partner.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

And what if the person who was in the garage that was then shot was a police officer, or a security guard, who while on patrol, saw the open garage, and was inspecting it to see if something was going on?

BC.

Why would a police officer walk into the open garage at night without so much as a flashlight when he could just as easily knock on the front door and ask to look around?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
It's time for criminals to know that it is open season on thieves.

If you choose to steal, you pay the price, perhaps with your life.
That will deter 99% of the bums from attempting it.

^^This
11.gif

We have the Castle Doctrine here in Texas too. Deadly force can be used on someone trespassing on your property between sundown and sunup. Gotta love Texas!!

Bottom line here in these cases are,they picked the wrong people to [censored] with. I`m sure they were thinking they could either burglerize and/or assualt their victims because they were either old or edlerly people. It`s the tough as nails old men that you don`t wanna mess with! You hear about edlerly people getting assualted and robbed all the time,BUT this time these older people didn`t take any [censored].

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
We have the Castle Doctrine here in Texas too. Deadly force can be used on someone trespassing on your property between sundown and sunup. Gotta love Texas!!

This is insane! There are teenagers in my neighborhood that use my backyard as a shortcut to a nearby lake and steam (fishing), sometimes after dark. Should I gun them down too?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

BC.

Why would a police officer walk into the open garage at night without so much as a flashlight when he could just as easily knock on the front door and ask to look around?

Who knows, but the possibility exists. Heck, it could have been the guy's father or son, stumbling home after a night out or maybe their car broke down 2 miles down the road they thought they'd walk home.

I thought more about this last night. If it truly went down as the article said, the home owner broke one of the four cardinal rules of shooting/gun ownership. This stuff's been around for over 100 years in its current form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_safety

If the home owner truly went out into the garage and blindly let a few shells loose, he broke rule number four, which is to be sure of your target. Anyone with a firearm, and especially anyone in a hunting-heavy state such as Montana, should be keenly aware of this rule. Many hunters are accidentally killed every year because someone else either didn't properly acquire a target or missed a target and didn't realize a fellow hunter was behind (that target).

I own many firearms myself, including a 12 gauge shotgun for home defense. I have two small children in the house, too, which is why I drill this very rule into my head all the time. You simply can't shoot into the dark. You can't do it. That's not responsible gun ownership.

Will he be legally covered under his state's castle defense law? Maybe, I don't know. But I think he was ethically in the wrong...and these kinds of stories unnecessarily stir up emotions of gun control advocates who say, "see, see what people with guns do?"

Gun owners need to collectively be a model for the right way to own and to use guns. I don't think this guy modeled that.

Hokiefyd...as A started reading your post, I had one of those Homer Simpson moments, as to why I was feeling strange about the incident...you nailed it...he had no idea what or where the target was.

As to the story, if it's factual that he laid a bait, then waited to shoot someone, then he acted with intent to shoot someone, anyone...it wasn't an act of self defence, or protection of his castle

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I'm sure 99% of gun owners haven't even read the law on what trespassing actually is in their state...
Have you even read what the law is on gunning down trespassers? Or is that what you think the law is after listening to the 10 second sound bite off the TV?

Amazing how people like to run their mouths. An Attorney friend of mine told me years ago that I could call him if I needed help but keep my mouth shut until he arrives.
Recording audio of shooting people, crazy. Blabbing all the details leading up to the incident,very stupid. Say nothing until your lawyer arrives.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If the home owner truly went out into the garage and blindly let a few shells loose, he broke rule number four, which is to be sure of your target.

Yup, this! If he couldn't see his target, he couldn't see that the target was threatening him.

And if he was defending his property, I can only imagine MO wants him to play fair and order the guy to drop the goods, sit down, citizen's arrest until the cops show up, etc.

Also it's not clear if it was an attached garage, which I assume is more part of one's "castle" than a detached one-- as the perp could use the safety of the garage to jimmy the house door.

He pulled a double barrel Joe on the kid, should be OK since the VP said you can do it.

Both idiots, the kid was in the wrong place doing something he shouldn't have been and came up against a moron with sad results.

I dislike moron gun owners like this because they cast castle doctrine laws which are very good laws in a bad light.

Castle doctrine laws prevent you from going to jail or going bankrupt trying to defend yourself after killing a home invader, they are very good laws. But the media likes to twist them to make it seem like open season.

About a mile from me a year ago a Grandfather put two slugs into a teen on bath salts that broke into his house threw a slider and was trying to get into his 5 year old grandsons room. The guy lived, (sadly) but I'm sure if he died our castle doctrine laws would have made it a quick and financially painless court case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
I have no problem allowing someone to defend their home with deadly force. But to purposely bait and hunt?

How many times did these bozos visit his garage and steal?
Turn about is fair play, they had NO business on his property, period. The perps chose to go where they darn well knew they had NO business being, and they paid the price, if I was on the jury I would automatically vote innocent of any crime.

As a side effect, it lets other similar low life bums know that it isn't worth the risk to steal. Amazing how word gets around about this kind of thing among thieves.

I disagree. There is a difference between defending your property and sport. From what has been reported this was sport. I hope there are details on the case that have not been reported but as is this is a major blow against gun owners rights which IMO is never a good thing.

The guy did what Joe Biden said to do by blindly shooting into the dark.

2 main things IMO. The guy shot without knowing his target. What was the kid doing in the garage to begin with?

I personally would not intentionally leave my property in a vulnerable position. Very hard case to dissect indeed.. It definitely makes the sane gun owners look bad. Assumptions can be made about what really happened, but at the end of the day, nobody will know.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

What was the kid doing in the garage to begin with?

Exactly.

This nonsense about baiting is just that nonsense.

Nobody forced those little punks into his home or garage, they
CHOSE to enter the property. That is trespassing, and the property owner should be able to defend his property with deadly force.

You know those punks were the same ones that repeatedly broke into his home, they got what they deserved and better yet, he save the community from future criminal actions by them.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

What was the kid doing in the garage to begin with?

Exactly.

This nonsense about baiting is just that nonsense.

Nobody forced those little punks into his home or garage, they
CHOSE to enter the property. That is trespassing, and the property owner should be able to defend his property with deadly force.

You know those punks were the same ones that repeatedly broke into his home, they got what they deserved and better yet, he save the community from future criminal actions by them.

Another post from antique that makes 200% sense!! DO NOT enter someone`s home and/or property,especially in the middle of the night if you don`t want to suffer the consequences. Right on antique!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back