Under Valve Cover Pics- 2008 Ford Escape 3.0 V6

AutoMechanic

Site Donor 2024
56DFC80E-D309-45F5-810C-59F478ADE843.jpeg

Back Valve Cover here. Pretty clean.
C7C10458-128B-46C7-A6E7-D54B0FD40D89.jpeg

1B681579-DC9D-4479-8248-43213839D124.jpeg

653916B8-434F-4511-A188-BE99A49FF865.jpeg
Rear two camshafts. Don’t look too bad. And back three spark plugs.
Below is the front valve cover. And front camshafts. And front spark plugs.
AA32EE1D-6E40-4698-8B38-37C8315FE692.jpeg

4A453C79-BAA7-4894-A580-CDA569E880CC.jpeg
1BA98C79-3809-4D0C-9A36-8613580694B5.jpeg
B24E6CF6-0ADB-4EB0-AEBC-EACBF490A6C8.jpeg

Been using Valvoline Max Life High Mileage Synthetic Blend and a Motorcraft FL820S filter for the last 2 years that I have serviced it and now I own it. The oil is changed every 3,000 miles. I thought it was weird the front cover was cleaner then the back one. The front bolts are very hard to get too and were very seized as this car is originally from the north. I made sure to put anti seize on them before reinstalling. We also replaced all 6 spark plugs with Autolite Platinum. These were the original plugs with 170,000 on them.

Did you replace the PCV valve while you had access?

It's a fun time getting all that stuff apart to replace the VC gasket and replace those 3 plugs.

I always wondered if the 4 cylinder Escape was worthwhile, as the V6 is kind of weak and mildly difficult to work on.

Last edited:
Did you replace the PCV valve while you had access?

It's a fun time getting all that stuff apart to replace the VC gasket and replace those 3 plugs.

I always wondered if the 4 cylinder Escape was worthwhile, as the V6 is kind of weak and mildly difficult to work on.
No I didn’t. The PCV is on the front cover actually you can see the hose from it in the second to last picture so it’s pretty easy to access.
EDIT: looks like it does have two PCV Valves oops 😬. Hopefully I can get to the back one when needed then. I didn’t realize that was one in the back.
EDIT: confirmed only one PCV Valve. 🙂

Last edited:
I've noticed on the duratec engine that the rear valve cover seems to get more varnish on it. My assumption is that it runs hotter back there or its pcv related.
Wait does this have two PCV Valves then? I thought it was just on the front one as that is where the hose is. Unless their is one in the back too oops 😬. Oh well if it’s back there I might be able to get it off.

Wait does this have two PCV Valves then? I thought it was just on the front one as that is where the hose is. Unless their is one in the back too oops 😬. Oh well if it’s back there I might be able to get it off.

I believe he's saying that the side with the PCV is cleaner because it sucks the vapors out of there as opposed to them just sitting around and stewing and adhering to the back cover. Probably a combination of that and a little hotter temps on the cover since there would be less air flowing over it, or hotter air.

Definitely got your miles out of those plugs. Gap looks huge.

No I didn’t. The PCV is on the front cover actually you can see the hose from it in the second to last picture so it’s pretty easy to access.
EDIT: looks like it does have two PCV Valves oops 😬. Hopefully I can get to the back one when needed then. I didn’t realize that was one in the back.
No, only one PCV valve. I got my transverse V6's confused. Sorry!

I believe he's saying that the side with the PCV is cleaner because it sucks the vapors out of there as opposed to them just sitting around and stewing and adhering to the back cover. Probably a combination of that and a little hotter temps on the cover since there would be less air flowing over it, or hotter air.

Definitely got your miles out of those plugs. Gap looks huge.
Oh ok I see what you are saying. Yes they were .76 the gap is between .52 and .56

No, only one PCV valve. I got my transverse V6's confused. Sorry!
No worries. Thanks for pointing that out though. To be honest I didn’t even think about changing it. I was worried about the valve covers as they had started to leak a lot more.

Back