Uh oh...the smell of burning motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago when I pulled into the lot at work, I smelled burning motor oil as I exited from the vehicle. At first I thought it was coming from my friends car who had pulled up beside me but as I neared the front of my truck, it was apparent the odor was coming from my vehicle. I checked the oil and it was fine (right at the top of the crosshatch). Nothing underneath and nothing that I could see with a quick look under the hood.

Again today, after my 28 mile commute home (doing a good 75 mph most of the way), I got a good whiff of the burnt oil smell again as I exited the truck. The best I can describe it is like spilling oil on the engine or exhaust pipes during an oil change (which none of us ever do
grin.gif
). Since it has been a couple thousand miles since my last change, that is ruled out.

I can't find the source of this smell and it's driving me crazy! Nothing under or around the filter; nothing on my driveway; nothing that I can see near the valve covers and the level is where it was when I filled it.

Any ideas? Oh, btw...tranny fluid level was good too. The truck is just over 42,000 miles. 4.6 ltr F150 4by4.

Mikep

You may have something farther back leaking onto the exhaust. I would start checking from the muffler forward and look for evidence of oil burning on the exhaust. I think you said this is a 4x4, it may be coming from the transfer case.

Hope this helps.

Dan

You're describing the classic symptoms of a Ford modular V8 head gasket leak. No oil on the ground and burnt oil smell. This is because it is dripping on your exhaust manifold and burning up.

Crawl under the passenger side of your truck and check above the starter at the head/block interface. Check for evidence of seep by running your hand along the seam.

I had a 99 5.4L with the same problem. Check out f150online.com for more info.

Hope this helps.

quote:

Originally posted by AHC:
You're describing the classic symptoms of a Ford modular V8 head gasket leak. No oil on the ground and burnt oil smell. This is because it is dripping on your exhaust manifold and burning up.

Crawl under the passenger side of your truck and check above the starter at the head/block interface. Check for evidence of seep by running your hand along the seam.

I had a 99 5.4L with the same problem. Check out f150online.com for more info.

Hope this helps.

wow, thanks! So this head gasket leak has been happening at such low mileage? Sheez, what did they use for gaskets....kleenex? Oh yea, quality is job one!

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Mikep

Yes, check out the head gasket issue. It was common on mainly the '99 4.6 and particularly the 5.4 motors.

Of course I haven't had it, nor has anyone I know personally had one, or has the company I work for ever had one, so go figure...

Long shot of alternative sources for the odor.

I had the same thing occur in one of my GM products. I had the valve cover gasket changed at the next service. Odor continued.

...a few thousand miles later my manual trans started chattering since the leak was not the engine ..but the trans leaking on the exhaust.

Do you have a manual trans???

Just another obscure possibility that you may consider.....

Mike, I hate to say it but it sure looks like you got Ford's version of the "clap", a slow drip of "fluids". What you describe is the "classic" Ford head gasket leak symptoms, as AHC said. Check it out as AHC described. Because chances are if you take it to the dealer for diagnose and since you are out of warranty, he's going to charge you $100+ just to tell you that you have a problem. Determine it yourself first. If it is leaking and since you are not that much out of warranty there's a very good chance you can get Ford to pay either for the entire repair job or at least a good portion of it. Or you can bring it down to Newark or Paterson and leave the key's in it by "accident"
wink.gif
. J/K
grin.gif
! If you need a hand to search for the leak, I can give you an hand Thursday night or Friday if you're not working. I have some really powerful lights that I use for business. I guess this seals your decision about what truck to buy next year
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

Yep, head gasket it is.....right rear to be exact.

Already spoke to my service dealer and have an appointment to drop it off next week. He estimated $1400.00 to do both sides. Could save a few $$ and just do the one but according to him if one side leaked chances are the problem will show up eventually on the other side. I'll trust his judgement since he's seen a ton of these. He also said he'll try and get the Ford rep to pony up something on the repair. Nice of him to offer....I was planning on contacting Ford myself but I'll let him try his channels first and see what happens.

Sure wish I had purchased that Basecare extended warranty for $1,000.00 when I had the chance.

FWIW...Ford calls it "oil weepage" and in their words ...."is not detrimental to engine performance or durability. An oil leak may be caused by metal chip debris lodged between the head gasket and the block, chip debris between the cylinder head and the head gasket, or by damage to the cylinder head sealing surface that occurred during the manufacturing process."

Sure sounds like Ford messed up on the builds and knows it. IMO, they should pay the whole tab.

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back