Uh Oh I Switched!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cheapest i have ever seen at walmart for regular mobil syn (which is what i use) is 25$ for a 5qt jug.. 10$ less i can get durablend... for 5k miles it doesnt make that much of a difference.. its a toyota for godsakes. you can put olive oil in there and it will be fine

Another (perhaps long shot) on the engine noise argument -

PP is 100% grp III.

Assuming M1 is 100% grp IV & V (or close to 100%).

Then the "slipperyness" factor between a group III and a group IV&V may be playing into the engine "slap" issue. (Taking this, along w/ the lower visc. of M1.) Just thinking out loud here.

Is there really any difference in the Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 EP as far as the 'guts' of the oil? Not just the longer OCI, but if I would say change both out at 5-6k mile would they both be about the same? No more protection, etc. from one to another?

besides i would rather run the EP with the 50% extra supersyn and run it 7500 miles with a good filter like m1 or pure-ones...... i did this change for the $$ and i cant tell that much of a difference.. so sue me

Go chk Wal-Mart again. They just did the "roll back" from $23.xx to $19.xx the other day (at least in my demographic). "Roll back" means it's not a "sale", and it should stay at that price for a while.

eric no one knows what mobile is made of aside from mobile. my guess is that its base III with PAO hence they supposedly dropped the price to compete with other syns..

i was there sunday when i changed my oil. it was 25.66 for 5qts of regular mobil syn in 5w and 10w30.. so i went with the cheaper durablend to try out... i have spent lots of $$ on mobil 1 over the past 2 years.. lol can i not experiment hahaha

Taking M1's marketing at face value - they say (in their FAQ area) that the difference in M1 EP is it has %50 more SuperSyn than reg. M1. But before EP came along, M1 was claiming 15k (and more) OCIs - but just not in warranty form. Way back they had 25k OCI statement. Mid 1990s they went to 15k (I read this in the mid-90s and had called them with a question in the mid-90s and heard it from the dude on the phone). Anyway, I would use reg. M1 with confidence. (I'm presently on EP, but will be back to reg. with next OCI).

how long of intervals are you guys running with regular mobil 1 syn?? i was doing 5-6k miles and thats it.. to me it should last longer with safe #'s.. the thing that got me was mobil's notorius high IRON #'s compared to other oils.. there is plenty of evidence of that here on bitog too..

MikeG, as I said (for me) M1 reg. is (now) $4 more than Wally SuperTech, and from what I've seen of Wally ST, it is an excellent oil (group IIIs are excellent oils period), but the ST additive package is designed strictly for the 7.5k or less market (I saw one UOA where the TBN at around 7k was 1.5). But I'm in the (minimum) 10k OCI camp, so I can't use it (if I ever switch to 6 mo OCIs, Wally ST will be a candidate for my oil of choice).

I will likely take this OCI (presenlty close to 6.5k) out to 12k - will do a UOA then (interesting to see where my iron etc is). If I find I can't run M1 safely out to 10-12k, then I'm not sure where I'll go next. Cross that bridge if required.

Quote:

eric no one knows what mobile is made of aside from mobile. my guess is that its base III with PAO hence they supposedly dropped the price to compete with other syns..

At my local wal-mart, the EP is $29.87 and the normal Mobil 1 is $19.43 for the 5 qt jugs.

Mobil 1 is not selling well so they lowered the price. According to the Manager I talked to, the best selling oil at his store is;

1. Yellow Pennzoil
2. Castrol GTX
3. Valvoline AC (or Prem)
4. Supertech
5. QS
6. Halvoline

In Syns;

1. Supertech
2. QS
3. PP
4. Castrol
5. Mobil 1

The trop artic and MC do not sell. They sell maybe 100 cases of Pennzoil to one case of MC and 1/2 case of Trop Artic.
dunno.gif

Since they raise the price of PP, its slowed down.

Coming soon, Supertech Syn in 5w-20. Its in their computer and they are going to be stocking it. I may be running it in my Dads Vue when his under a buck stash runs out and *if* there is no other lower cost oil to run.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Folks assume that since M1 is lowering their price (for reg. M1 line) that they must've reformulated. They may have reformulated, or they may not have. It could be that the pricing is strictly a Market Share attack. They've got the huge name recognition (with their commercials, NASCAR, etc) - now they're putting their price pt just dollars above Wally ST. What's the common Joe going to buy who wants full Synth. ? Plus, with Exxons monster profits of late, they can play a long price war - though they'll likely not get much cheaper - for there's also the marketing psycology of - this stuff is so cheap, it must be cheap. So we'll probably always pay at least a slight premium over the "second tier" synths.

Yeah I noticed that too, stopped in over the weekend to see if I wanted to get the MotorCraft 5w20, and saw on the end cap, 19.92 or something and said hm, maybe its the 4 qt bottles! ha, but nope the 5 qts! I thought maybe next time I'll stop back and pick one up, I do see the EP was still at the 29.xx still........

Also, I only saw 5w30 and 10w30 in the jugs.....I was looking for 5w20, do they sell the Mobil jugs in the 5w20 a lot?? Only in qts is what I saw, and the jugs were 5w30 and 10w30

I have been on M1 for the last 75k in my Sienna, and EP was my last fill. But I am likely leaving the EP camp (for that kind've $$). I'm betting reg. M1 can handle a 12k OCI just fine (and I'm going to find out).

Yes, they sale M1 5w20 in the jugs (we have it here). Look around at different Wally's. I see a lot of variance on what's on the shelves between stores.

BTW, I'm already converting my present fill from 5w30 EP over to M1 0w40 via top ups (to see if this slows my consumption). If it does, then I'll go to 0w40 - the trouble is, that kicks me back up in price (can't find it in jugs). But the mental assurances of going long OCI with M1 0w40 makes up for the price - it's the best long OCI you can find on Wally shelves IMO. Would likely take it to 15k OCI.

Quote:

Yes, they sale M1 5w20 in the jugs (we have it here). Look around at different Wally's. I see a lot of variance on what's on the shelves between stores.

That's for sure. I stopped in a WM in Pennsylvania today and they had a much better selection of oils, filters etc...than the local NY WM's have. They had Mobil 1 in the 5 qt. jugs for $19.94, PP in the 5 qt. jugs for $18.97, Shell Rotella 5w40 syn for $16.XX a gallon, Shell Rotella
dino in 15w40 AND 10w30 for $9.48 a gallon. They also had a full assortment of ST oil filters for the new (and higher) price of $2.67 each. The WM's near me never have such a great selection. They always seem to be out of stock. With M1 and PP 5 qt. jugs at such a good price it was very tempting for a 'stasher' like me (especially since they had both in 5w20). I was very proud of myself for leaving empty handed. I'm beating my 'addiction'.

PS: I know that PP is very popular at the moment but is PP
5w20 (gr.3) a better oil than M1 5w20 (probably part gr.3) when both are under $4.00 a qt.?

I can't comment on overall quality (PP vs Mobil) - but concerning viscosity - I've read several product data sheets and M1 had the thinnest of the thin for 0w20 and 5w20. But I just looked at the PP 0w20 and 5w20 data sheets - it came in just a hair thinner than M1 for both products (and at both temps 40degC and 100degC). These are much thinner than (eg) Amsoil's 20wgts.

I'm thinking if Mobil 1 5W-30 was causing some noise, I wonder how Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 with its thicker viscosity would've done in the same engine.
dunno.gif

You'd definitely have to go to M1 HM 10w30. As far as reg. M1 10w30, I'll believe there's a thinner 10w30 when I see the specs (visc.=10.0 at 100degC !!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back