Uh Oh I Switched!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, i have been running mobile 1 regular syn in my tacoma for over 40k miles and this past oil change i bought valvoline durablend in 10w30. (i normally use 5w30).. its the "tough driving formula".. honestly i cant tell much of a difference other than my motor running quieter when idling and smacking the gas. other than that i cant tell a difference lol.. saved 15$ too
ooo.gif
next change ill go back to 5w30. seems like the notorius mobile 1 "ticking" noise is gone. i must say for 5k mile changes i may stick with this.. if i want to extend ill just find the cheapest good named brand syn like PP.. screw mobile 1 and their prices...

loyal tacoma driver
cheers.gif

Yea, the quiter running engine is a common occurance after switching away from mobil 1.
Seems like a ____ of a diffrence to me!
congrats on your new choice.

Quote:

i dont miss mobile 1 thats for sure. if i run a full syn again it will be PP or something on sale..

It's time for class Mike!

Please call it Mobil-1???

Pretty soon, I will read a thread calling it Mobile Home-1
laugh.gif

Are you saying there's the *feel of the gas* difference between a 5w-30 & 10w-30??

These 3.4L V6's are easy on oil, you should be able to go 5k easy.

Thank you Triple Se7en. It's beyond me why people insist on calling it "mobile". I wanted to say something but I'm not up to any more lectures from Mokanic and Dave1251.

And yet another noise thread. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that no matter what oil they use, there is no difference in sound coming from the engine? I'm running M1 in my van right now and I can tell absolutely ZERO difference in sound between the M1 or the Valvoline All Climate.

Some people may not be that sensitive to change in valve train noise.
In my jetta, i can't tell it when i'm driving, but when i pop the hood i can hear valve train chatter, ALOT of it on M1. When i switched to Synpower, and Syntec, silent. Switched back to mobil, came RIGHT back. Didn't even have to drive it. started the car up and there it was.

exactly keifer.. i can tell it just driving down the road, getting on "on ramps" for the highway. sorry for mispelling mobil guys lol. i type fast and rarely check over my spelling..
laugh.gif
.... i have no doubts that mobil is doing the job but i know durablend is doing it too for cheaper.. besides i change out at 5k miles so buying mobil would be a waste..

Everyone seems to be saying the oil brand made a difference in engine noise. Is anyone looking at the viscosities of these oil BRANDS? For instance, for some of you with the various noises - it may be that a thin oil causes your engine noise, and a bit thicker oil quiets it. Mobil 1 runs thin relative to other oils across their product line. M1 10w30 is almost a 20 wt. From my readings, NOISE seems to be relative to the engine - some folks say thicker oils quiet their engines, some say thinner oils quiet their engines. So the problem may not be "Mobil 1 oil is causing noise in my engine", it may be "low viscosity oil causes noise in my engine" (but for the next guy, lower visc. is the ticket to a quiet engine).

you very well could be right eric.. mobil does run thin and i can tell bc i can hear a lot things clinking and clanking and ticking in the motor. with this 10w30 durablend. i dont hear squat. ill check back with you guys after a few thousand miles.. btw i normally run 5w30.

The (my) above post seems to be almost a no-brainer. Plenty has been written of thick vs. thin oil on engine noise. But now we're making the assumption that company X oil runs quieter than company Y, and we're not looking at the differing visc. of those two (eg) "10w30" oils.

So if it is Company X vs. Y that make the difference - someone tell me, what difference in additives in oils is going to cause your engine noise? What type of group III, IV, V base stock is going to cause noise in your engine? Is there that much difference in a base stock molecule between company X and Y that one will cause you engine to tick and one will not?

All of you claiming "M1 is causing engine noise". I say it's a safe bet that you go out and buy a thick viscosity grade of "Dollar Tree" 10w30, and you engines will pur like a kitten. And you who need a thinner visc. to quiet your engine, go buy a thinner viscosity "Dollar General" 10w30, and everything will go quiet. But to claim it was "Dollar Tree" vs "Dollar General" oil quality seems to be the wrong argument.

no argument just something i noticed.. i know mobil syn is a fine oil. i ran it for over 40k miles and its possible i could go back. i mainly swithced for $$.. i change oil at 5k miles so running mobil maybe a little wastefull..

Quote:

exactly keifer.. i can tell it just driving down the road, getting on "on ramps" for the highway. sorry for mispelling mobil guys lol. i type fast and rarely check over my spelling..
laugh.gif
.... i have no doubts that mobil is doing the job but i know durablend is doing it too for cheaper.. besides i change out at 5k miles so buying mobil would be a waste..

So what you are saying is, is that you would rather buy Valvoline Durbalnd for 3 dollars less than M1? Are you serious?
Are you really going to pucker over $3.00? Because you can buy a 5 qt jug of M1 for 21.44 (tax included) at Walmart.
Duralend with tax comes to around 18.xx. Are you really going to loose sleep over spending an additional $3.00 and have the better oil in your engine?

the waste is the fact that i change my oil at 5k miles. so changing mobil at 5k maybe too soon but not for durablend or many other oils for that matter

Not true..you are talking about M1 extended...Just get the regular M1 and be done with it.. $21.XX tax included and rest easy. You dont need the extended performance.

In Little Rock, M1 EP is indeed around $28. But they had a "price roll back" of reg. M1 product line (5 qt) to $19 & chg.

Which also takes some teeth out of M1 is premium priced - I think Super Tech syn. (5qt) is running $15 & chg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back